Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 07:37:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Government coronavirus response thread

Started by Fambo Number Mive, March 25, 2020, 12:25:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlodwynPig

Another rung lower on the ladder of dismalness

olliebean

QuoteNumber 10 is also ending the weekend press conferences due to low audience figures, and only holding them on weekdays. Mr Johnson will host one of them.

This is fucking ridiculous. It's a press briefing. The point of it is to communicate to the press (and other news media) what the current situation is, what they're doing about it, and to allow press scrutiny. Audience figures shouldn't enter into it.

Can't they have a dance off or some celebrity cameo's to get those viewing figures up a bit?

lipsink

I mean, why not just cancel elections due to low voter turnout?

king_tubby

WELL WHO COULD HAVE PREDICTED THIS???

Business Secretary Alok Sharma self-isolating and has been tested for Coronavirus.

He began feeling unwell in the chamber today, spokesperson says.

https://twitter.com/nickeardleybbc/status/1268256786747883533

Fambo Number Mive

I presume the whole cabinet will need to self isolate. Maybe Cummings will drop all pretence of being the advisor and issue orders directly from Downing Street.

Alberon

Won't be Cummings. He'll almost be back in Durham by now.

Danger Man

Quote from: king_tubby on June 03, 2020, 08:08:32 PM
Business Secretary Alok Sharma self-isolating and has been tested for Coronavirus.

Really gunning for the PMs job now.

jobotic

Really hope Johnson and Cummings actually get it this time.

Inspector Norse

Feeling unwell in the chamber is certainly a common symptom of covid.

sirhenry

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on June 03, 2020, 08:46:43 PM
I presume the whole cabinet will need to self isolate.
Damned if they do and damned if they don't.

By the new Test, Trace and Tag rules they have to, plus any MP who has been within 2m of him in The Chamber, and after Cummings can they afford to flout the rules?

But that would leave the country without a working government for a fortnight. How would we cope? And how would they convince us that we need them afterwards?

I can see the headlines now: Rees-Mogg fucks up shuts down parliament, with the inevitable picture of him trying to fill the empty seats...

Alberon

A working government? What a novel idea.

Ian Drunken Smurf

I do hope he didn't have to do any unnecessary queueing recently. Surely they should make MPs trial the app.

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: sirhenry on June 03, 2020, 09:29:14 PM
Damned if they do and damned if they don't.

By the new Test, Trace and Tag rules they have to, plus any MP who has been within 2m of him in The Chamber, and after Cummings can they afford to flout the rules?

But that would leave the country without a working government for a fortnight. How would we cope? And how would they convince us that we need them afterwards?

I can see the headlines now: Rees-Mogg fucks up shuts down parliament, with the inevitable picture of him trying to fill the empty seats...

The government will end up doing everything over Zoom for two weeks, and people will ask if the government can do that why can't MPs? Perhaps they'll try to cock things up even more than usual for the next two weeks and then blame having to do everything over video conferencing. Minister accidentally turns his camera on when he is tugging the pink sock, that kind of thing.

"Michael, you've turned your webcam on by mistake."

"Mistake?"

Funcrusher

Test and trace won't be fully operational until September.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/jun/04/nhs-track-and-trace-system-not-expected-to-be-operating-fully-until-september-coronavirus

The sheer ineptitude is just stunning. Other countries have long since had this in place. And of course serial fuck up merchants Serco are involved, a never ending reward for failure.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Funcrusher on June 04, 2020, 09:50:11 PM

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/jun/04/nhs-track-and-trace-system-not-expected-to-be-operating-fully-until-september-coronavirus

The sheer ineptitude is just stunning. Other countries have long since had this in place. And of course serial fuck up merchants Serco are involved, a never ending reward for failure.

Are Bohnson and Hancock resigning tomorrow?

Danger Man

It might be five months too late but it will be WORLD BEATING

jobotic

Just in time for the third wave.

That fucking email. We are going to be shit at this, we always are. but watch the money roll in. Cunt should be in prison.

Zetetic

Think the Serco stuff is just England, but it's possible that Scotland and NI were sold on it by NHS England/Improvement.

EOLAN

Most importantly. Is it still working in the Isle of Wright?

Funcrusher

According to our Pravda-style state broadcaster "The Guardian reported a senior NHS boss said the system would be imperfect at first but "world-class" by the autumn". The fact that we were told it would be ready by June 1 not mentioned, we have always been at war with Eurasia.

Paul Calf

They're killing time until the point at which they can pretend it's not happening.

Tests aren't being performed
Results aren't being reported
Deaths are being pushed out of hospitals
Coroners and doctors are being discouraged from reporting CV-19 as a cause of death

The result is that the COVID death rates will go down because it'll be impossible to determine how many deaths have been caused. Excess mortality is a fair measure[nb]The UK already has higher excess mortality than the whole of the EU.[/nb], but how reliable even that figure is going to remain is another question.

Zetetic

Quote from: Paul Calf on June 05, 2020, 08:48:48 AM
Coroners and doctors are being discouraged from reporting CV-19 as a cause of death
I'm open to the possibility of this, but - How and why? What's in it for any given doctor?

There definitely are situations where there are pressures not to write this or that on a certificate, because doing so might come back on a hospital, or a department or an individual. (Write "pulmonary embolism" on a certificate, and you look worse on measures of VTE-related deaths, for example.)

I can't see how this applies to COVID-19 though. The UK government might not like it, but it doesn't suggest you or anyone you work with fucked up.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Danger Man on June 04, 2020, 09:56:16 PM
It might be five months too late but it will be WORLD BEATING

"I am the best at running!"

"You just had a race and finished last."

"Yes, but my running was better."

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: DrGreggles on June 05, 2020, 02:44:11 PM
"I am the best at running!"

"You just had a race and finished last."

"Yes, but my running was better."

'It's not my fault you didn't read the small print, you fool.'

phantom_power

It really is astounding that we are still recording 10% of the daily world deaths and somehow that means we should be loosening lockdown

BlodwynPig

Genocidal Newspaper's Gleeful Gaze

"bloodbath'

"war"

"chaos"

"FUNDAY"