Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:18:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Government coronavirus response thread

Started by Fambo Number Mive, March 25, 2020, 12:25:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jobotic

Quote from: ollyboro on April 25, 2020, 02:49:05 PM
Best get your Google translate set to Arse slop to English. They're letting the Patel cunt loose at the press conference.

Today they have to admit that there have been over 20,000 deaths that they can't pretend haven't happened. This could be psychologically upsetting for the public so its good that they have put their most empathetic and caring minister forward. We could all do with seeing her cheery smirk right now.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: jobotic on April 25, 2020, 03:16:37 PM
Today they have to admit that there have been over 20,000 deaths that they can't pretend haven't happened. This could be psychologically upsetting for the public so its good that they have put their most empathetic and caring minister forward. We could all do with seeing her cheery smirk right now.

Not forgetting that she's the most competent at reading out numbers. As we say on these boards, this'll end well..

ollyboro

Good news about  less shoplifting . I wonder what the figures for football hooliganism and sexual assaults in pub toilets are?

Wonderful Butternut

Quote from: ollyboro on April 26, 2020, 05:21:11 PM
Good news about  less shoplifting . I wonder what the figures for football hooliganism and sexual assaults in pub toilets are?

Car accidents and drink driving are probably down too. What great victories for the UK.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Wonderful Butternut on April 26, 2020, 10:44:54 PM
Car accidents and drink driving are probably down too. What great victories for the UK.

On my ramble yesterday, on the main road out of the village (a C road) there were remnants of a smashed up car amidst several destroyed trees. The story that speeding has become a thing again due to less traffic probably means that whilst accidents are down, accidents per journey is up.

Gulftastic

I ventured to the cashpont late Saturday night and a couple of pricks were tonning it down the empty road.

idunnosomename

I went for a little stroll this morning and saw three men's rights activists in dresses shoving their penises into little girls' faces in womens changing rooms

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteThe government failed to buy crucial protective equipment to cope with a pandemic, a BBC investigation has found.

There were no gowns, visors, swabs or body bags in the government's pandemic stockpile when Covid-19 reached the UK.

NHS staff say they are being put at risk because of the shortage of personal protective equipment (PPE).

The government said it has taken the right steps and is doing everything it can to increase stocks.

The investigation by BBC Panorama found that vital items were left out of the stockpile when it was set up in 2009 and that the government subsequently ignored a warning from its own advisers to buy missing equipment...Panorama has discovered that millions of FFP3 respirator masks are unaccounted for.

There were 33 million on the original 2009 procurement list for the stockpile, but only 12 million have been handed out.

The government refuses to explain where the other masks have gone.

A government spokesperson said there was "limited demand" for the masks coming through the Supply Disruption Line, "which is one reason why they haven't all been distributed"...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-52440641

BlodwynPig

Newsbeat doing the proper reporting now?

The Crumb

https://twitter.com/Lord_Sugar/status/1254866098136035329

Idiot that got famous for being arsey to people steals someone else's words about how journalists shouldn't be mean to the poor government and should only ask questions that will provide 'positive and reassuring answers'. Even more crass and infuriating coming from someone s insulated from the negative effect of all the governement's decisions.

Fambo Number Mive

He's a member of the House of Lords as well, which is meant to help hold the Government to account.

Thomas

QuoteJournalism is missing the 'mood' in [..] the UK.

Love that. Adore that. A mood. Journalists: never probe the mood.

If a country has a mood, never ask: where did the mood come from? Who benefits from the mood? Who benefits when the mood is not scrutinised?

Obey the mood. I wonder what the mood in North Korea is like. Hope the journalists over there are leaving it be.

These simpering right-wingers twitch and whimper at even the slightest hint of media scrutiny. Truly, they are the fragile snowflakes.

idunnosomename

Alan Sugar really is your gullible facebook uncle who keeps sharing shit until you unfriend him

Thomas

Net worth of £1.15 billion.

Gets upset when a half-hour news programme dares wonder if nurses have enough gloves.

pigamus

Quote from: Thomas on April 28, 2020, 01:58:02 PM
Love that. Adore that. A mood. Journalists: never probe the mood.

If a country has a mood, never ask: where did the mood come from? Who benefits from the mood? Who benefits when the mood is not scrutinised?

Obey the mood. I wonder what the mood in North Korea is like. Hope the journalists over there are leaving it be.

These simpering right-wingers twitch and whimper at even the slightest hint of media scrutiny. Truly, they are the fragile snowflakes.

But the really awful thing is, I think it really is the mood. A mood of, "This stuff you're telling me makes me uncomfortable - therefore don't tell me. I'm much happier banging a saucepan and patting myself on the back about it."

EDIT: You are right though, obviously.

Norton Canes

BBC's live update page on Hancock's briefing just now mentions a second question from the public ('When will my son be able to return to school?' - thanks, Sadie in Northamptonshire) but not a first, which seems rather remiss. Was it a juicy one?

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteThe first question comes from Amanda from Hull, who wants to know what support is available to parents with schools closed and grandparents not able to provide childcare because they are in the shielded category.

Mr Hancock says he understands why many parents have a "yearning to know" when schools will return but he says it was too early to make such a big call given that the daily death toll is still too high.

Norton Canes

So basically the same question. Nice.

idunnosomename

"Where do you get all your CRAZY ideas from?"

Fambo Number Mive

Quote...Volunteers inside the UK's new Lighthouse Labs have told how they have been sitting on their hands waiting for samples to come in. Meanwhile, NHS and university lab workers are infuriated that their equipment and chemicals have been sent to these privately backed labs, when their own skills and expertise could have been put to use.

BuzzFeed News has gathered testimony from lab workers, NHS clinicians and their families, and business leaders over the last 10 days documenting their experiences with the UK's testing policy. The overwhelming mood is clear: Whether or not the government reaches its arbitrary end-of-April target, its efforts on testing so far have been haphazard, ill-communicated, and maddening for both those who are desperate to help and those urgently seeking clarity on whether they have the disease.

Up until now, coronavirus testing has been largely limited to seriously ill patients in hospital, and NHS workers and carers — but crucially, only if these workers have coronavirus symptoms. Even then, it has been incredibly difficult for many staff to get tested at all; some have been told they would have to travel dozens of miles to a drive-thru testing centre, and others simply haven't heard back after asking their trust managers for a referral...One NHS nurse from central Scotland, who asked not to be named, told BuzzFeed News she was offered a test when she started feeling ill — but only at a centre that was 50 miles away from home. "I was too ill with COVID symptoms to drive 50 miles, so no test," she said. "This will be the same for many people and will be why the test take-up is not what it should be. There must be a safe way of doing community testing using mobile units."

Another NHS worker from Manchester said his colleague had coronavirus symptoms and was promised a test by trust bosses but she only heard back from them three days after making the request. "My big concern is the test location itself," he said. "It all seems well-run, once people are there. But the centres are miles away and my colleague saw lots of cars in the test queue that were full of kids. She was too unwell to drive and relied on her asymptomatic partner to drive. Most people can't get babysitters so the whole family is in the car for one hour of driving and confined coughing exposure."...

https://www.buzzfeed.com/emilyashton/uk-coronavirus-labs-testing-fiasco

Fambo Number Mive

Observer political editor claims Downing Street tried to get them to change headline: https://twitter.com/tobyhelm/status/1255204379491282945

Schmo Diddley

Quote from: pigamus on April 28, 2020, 02:10:12 PM
But the really awful thing is, I think it really is the mood. A mood of, "This stuff you're telling me makes me uncomfortable - therefore don't tell me. I'm much happier banging a saucepan and patting myself on the back about it."

EDIT: You are right though, obviously.

Society has got so polarised with Brexit, Corbyn & Johnson. It's an on-going culture war stoked by the Tory social media bots pumping out industrial levels of miscommunication and propaganda. It's as though people have picked a side to fight for and impartiality or critical thinking has just gone.

As an example, I spoke to my sister the other day. I wouldn't have her down as a Tory but she voted Brexit and her soldier husband despises Corbyn so she clearly voted Tory. She said Boris is doing a good job and when I challenged her she said 'well he's doing better than Corbyn would.' 'He even got it', as though him being thick enough to shake someone's hand and spend 2 weeks in hospital was him somehow putting his body on the line for us. 

I'd like to think there's an element of subliminal buyer's remorse going on - she wants to see things as going well otherwise she's partly culpable for putting this clown in power. But i think she genuinely thinks that and it's down in no small part to the media cheerleading and complete lack of scrutiny. Johnson is still in his honeymoon period and has just delivered Brexit so to many people he's Teflon. 

Fambo Number Mive

Did your sister say why she thought Johnson was doing better than Corbyn would?

olliebean

You know they're in trouble when their best argument is that the other fella, who never had an opportunity to try, would have been worse.

BlodwynPig

Some fucking honeymoon period.

It's a honeymoon that goes something like this:

- Get to your island paradise resort but realise you've forgotten your clothes at home
- Spill lobster bisque down your new wife's dress, so she has to change into her pyjamas for the rest of the evening in the luxury restaurant
- Fail to have sex because she is in a huff
- Contract food poisoning and some rare tropical disease after undercooking some local fish delicacy and proceeding to gulp down untreated river water

All this as the staff, waiters and maid say you are the best customer they have ever had, better than that scruffy tourist that promised them big tips and a word with the manager about extension to their current holiday allowance. They of course got him booted out of the resort.

Fambo Number Mive

Tucked away on the BBC News page:

QuoteThe Department for Education says it does not know how many vouchers for free school meals have been delivered to parents over the past month.

A scheme to give poor pupils in England vouchers worth £15 a week until schools reopen has been beset with problems.

Some school staff have had to stay up late into the night to access the online system, while many parents cannot download the vouchers...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-52488208

Absorb the anus burn

https://theintercept.com/2020/04/30/boris-johnsons-coronavirus-lies/

".... Boris Johnson's Coronavirus Lies Are Killing Britons... "

"..... The government's failure to provide sufficient protective gear, which has so far contributed to the deaths of at least 114 health care workers in Britain, was  preventable. Moreover, two separate investigations have now revealed high-level attempts to cover it up... Earlier this week, the BBC's Panorama showed that the British government's pandemic stockpile lacked key equipment, such as gowns, visors, swabs, and body bags. The government was of course aware of this deficit and yet, even after the pandemic hit the country's shores, U.K. leaders refused multiple opportunities to bulk-buy PPE. When the lack of supplies became obvious to the public, the government tried to hide the problem by inflating PPE numbers, counting one pair of gloves as two items of PPE ....."

phantom_power

Quote from: Schmo Diddley on April 29, 2020, 03:53:05 PM
Society has got so polarised with Brexit, Corbyn & Johnson. It's an on-going culture war stoked by the Tory social media bots pumping out industrial levels of miscommunication and propaganda. It's as though people have picked a side to fight for and impartiality or critical thinking has just gone.

As an example, I spoke to my sister the other day. I wouldn't have her down as a Tory but she voted Brexit and her soldier husband despises Corbyn so she clearly voted Tory. She said Boris is doing a good job and when I challenged her she said 'well he's doing better than Corbyn would.' 'He even got it', as though him being thick enough to shake someone's hand and spend 2 weeks in hospital was him somehow putting his body on the line for us. 

I'd like to think there's an element of subliminal buyer's remorse going on - she wants to see things as going well otherwise she's partly culpable for putting this clown in power. But i think she genuinely thinks that and it's down in no small part to the media cheerleading and complete lack of scrutiny. Johnson is still in his honeymoon period and has just delivered Brexit so to many people he's Teflon. 

It is even more confusing than that. Someone I know posted that drivel that Sugar Tweeted and one of the comments said something along the lines of "I hate Johnson and this deplorable government but I think in this case they are doing the best they can and he is the best man for the job". The handbrake turn in that thinking is bizarre.

The biggest joke in that thing thought is the idea that Peston et al are the voice of dissent against this government, rather than their mouthpiece