Author Topic: Deerhoof - Future Teenage Cave Artists  (Read 731 times)

alan nagsworth

• a ghost at his own feast
Deerhoof - Future Teenage Cave Artists
« on: March 25, 2020, 03:11:32 PM »

Yes THAT'S RIGHT one of the best bands in the world have a new album coming out on May 29!!! What a banger of an announcement to be made today, when I also found out my office has finally closed its doors and I'm nice and safe at home on full salary. I feel fucking great right now.

Here's the Bandcamp link where two of the tracks are now available.

I'm really enjoying this stuff right off the bat and as usual I am mega mega hyped for the whole album. God, they really are bloody magnificent.

GET EXCITED if you are able! Let Deerhoof's wondrous shimmering crayon drawing music shine bright into your heart.

Re: Deerhoof - Future Teenage Cave Artists
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2020, 03:23:36 PM »
Nice. Gotten really into this band in the last year or two. Probably not the time to be thinking of this, but they're absolutely top of my list of acts I want to see live.

alan nagsworth

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2020, 05:28:49 PM »
They are collectively as joyous and vibrant on stage as you'd expect from their recorded sound, and Greg Saunier is perhaps my favourite drummer. On record he is a relatively contained but as a live performer his style is a lot more chaotic, slumping in and out of tempo as the rest of the band, all with their own unique sound and colour, gels to him completely. And most of the time he plays on a super basic kit with one or no toms. He is a master. They are brilliant. BRILLIANT.

the science eel

• dynamite sack artist
    • PRELUDIN - where goons don't go
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2020, 10:38:20 PM »
Excited!

I saw them a couple of years ago at a crammed Glasgow gig and they were excellent. The drummer is exceptional but I loved them all. Seeing them live is I think they KEY to getting their brilliance.

McFlymo

• Pre-"Post Reply" Anxiety
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2020, 02:20:47 AM »
I saw them live at Electric Picnic a few years back. The drummer totally stole the show, I couldn't stop watching him, but they were all amazing!

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2020, 05:41:26 PM »
Big fan of Deerhoof (as the avatar would imply) but not really listened to any of their recent albums in depth since maybe Breakup Song.

I was a bit put off by them watching all the beardy dudes wanking over the drumming the last time I saw them live, along with the drumming itself which for me ruined what are great little weird pop songs.

Rather than showing off I'd rather the drummer just provided a solid backdrop to the cool guitar interplay and interesting vocals, as he does on the albums.

alan nagsworth

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2020, 07:39:22 PM »
GET IN THE BIN MATE

Nah I respect your opinion but unfortunately I completely and utterly disagree.

You should seriously go listen to La Isla Bonita and The Magic, though (and Mountain Moves to a slightly lesser extent) as they’ve never stopped being a wondrous, tight and infectious weirdo pop group on their recorded output!

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2020, 08:21:33 PM »
GET IN THE BIN MATE

Nah I respect your opinion but unfortunately I completely and utterly disagree.

You should seriously go listen to La Isla Bonita and The Magic, though (and Mountain Moves to a slightly lesser extent) as they’ve never stopped being a wondrous, tight and infectious weirdo pop group on their recorded output!

Hah fair dos - to be fair I seemed to be the only person there not into it, so probably just me being miserable contrary old twat. Wouldn't be the first time.

The thing which maybe I didn't really convey in the last post is that it felt like the drumming was changing the vibe of the songs (which I love dearly) too much and overshadowing the other elements of the band. It all seemed a bit muso-ish and I never really thought of Deerhoof as that type of band until that particular gig.

I will definitely check out those albums. I've heard a couple of tunes from Mountain Moves which sounded slightly Deerhoof by numbers, but I probably just need to give it a proper listen.

chveik

• JAZZ SNOB EAT SHIT
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2020, 08:59:22 PM »
Hah fair dos - to be fair I seemed to be the only person there not into it, so probably just me being miserable contrary old twat. Wouldn't be the first time.

nah you're not. Mountain Moves is dreadful and the two others are quite pedestrian. I suppose I'm not a mega fan like alan so I understand the desire to defend everything your favourite bands do.

alan nagsworth

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2020, 10:54:54 PM »
Are you suggesting I’m defending them blindly as opposed to genuinely seeing merit in their work?

Tags: