Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:11:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Deerhoof - Future Teenage Cave Artists

Started by alan nagsworth, March 25, 2020, 03:11:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan nagsworth

Yes THAT'S RIGHT one of the best bands in the world have a new album coming out on May 29!!! What a banger of an announcement to be made today, when I also found out my office has finally closed its doors and I'm nice and safe at home on full salary. I feel fucking great right now.

Here's the Bandcamp link where two of the tracks are now available.

I'm really enjoying this stuff right off the bat and as usual I am mega mega hyped for the whole album. God, they really are bloody magnificent.

GET EXCITED if you are able! Let Deerhoof's wondrous shimmering crayon drawing music shine bright into your heart.

selectivememory

Nice. Gotten really into this band in the last year or two. Probably not the time to be thinking of this, but they're absolutely top of my list of acts I want to see live.

alan nagsworth

They are collectively as joyous and vibrant on stage as you'd expect from their recorded sound, and Greg Saunier is perhaps my favourite drummer. On record he is a relatively contained but as a live performer his style is a lot more chaotic, slumping in and out of tempo as the rest of the band, all with their own unique sound and colour, gels to him completely. And most of the time he plays on a super basic kit with one or no toms. He is a master. They are brilliant. BRILLIANT.

the science eel

Excited!

I saw them a couple of years ago at a crammed Glasgow gig and they were excellent. The drummer is exceptional but I loved them all. Seeing them live is I think they KEY to getting their brilliance.

McFlymo

I saw them live at Electric Picnic a few years back. The drummer totally stole the show, I couldn't stop watching him, but they were all amazing!

good times

Big fan of Deerhoof (as the avatar would imply) but not really listened to any of their recent albums in depth since maybe Breakup Song.

I was a bit put off by them watching all the beardy dudes wanking over the drumming the last time I saw them live, along with the drumming itself which for me ruined what are great little weird pop songs.

Rather than showing off I'd rather the drummer just provided a solid backdrop to the cool guitar interplay and interesting vocals, as he does on the albums.

alan nagsworth

GET IN THE BIN MATE

Nah I respect your opinion but unfortunately I completely and utterly disagree.

You should seriously go listen to La Isla Bonita and The Magic, though (and Mountain Moves to a slightly lesser extent) as they've never stopped being a wondrous, tight and infectious weirdo pop group on their recorded output!

good times

Quote from: alan nagsworth on March 29, 2020, 07:39:22 PM
GET IN THE BIN MATE

Nah I respect your opinion but unfortunately I completely and utterly disagree.

You should seriously go listen to La Isla Bonita and The Magic, though (and Mountain Moves to a slightly lesser extent) as they've never stopped being a wondrous, tight and infectious weirdo pop group on their recorded output!

Hah fair dos - to be fair I seemed to be the only person there not into it, so probably just me being miserable contrary old twat. Wouldn't be the first time.

The thing which maybe I didn't really convey in the last post is that it felt like the drumming was changing the vibe of the songs (which I love dearly) too much and overshadowing the other elements of the band. It all seemed a bit muso-ish and I never really thought of Deerhoof as that type of band until that particular gig.

I will definitely check out those albums. I've heard a couple of tunes from Mountain Moves which sounded slightly Deerhoof by numbers, but I probably just need to give it a proper listen.

chveik

Quote from: good times on March 29, 2020, 08:21:33 PM
Hah fair dos - to be fair I seemed to be the only person there not into it, so probably just me being miserable contrary old twat. Wouldn't be the first time.

nah you're not. Mountain Moves is dreadful and the two others are quite pedestrian. I suppose I'm not a mega fan like alan so I understand the desire to defend everything your favourite bands do.

alan nagsworth

Are you suggesting I'm defending them blindly as opposed to genuinely seeing merit in their work?

alan nagsworth

Has anyone heard this yet? It's probably the best thing they've done in ages, and I say that as an enormous fan of nearly all their stuff. If you enjoyed the punky rabble of "The Magic" then I think this will surely satisfy. It's scrappy, punchy, sweet, noisy, chock full of fun ideas - everything a Deerhoof fan could ever want.

I was skeptical after having a listen whilst cooking the other day, and 'Hoof albums do sometimes take a little growing on me despite them being one of my all-time favourite bands, but I gave it far more attention in Sainsbury's just now and bloody loved it. It's less than 40 minutes long too, and it was over before I finished my shopping so I started listening to it again on my way out and home.

Heads up, if anyone bothers reading this and they're looking for some new music, I urge you to give this a spin.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Haven't heard this yet but Deerhoof are sweet as. The Magic is probably my favourite of the later ones I've heard, all noisy weird and packed full of tunes, and easily on the same level as Milkman or Friend Opportunity.
From what I've seen they definitely seem to have their head screwed on politically too (or at least whichever of them it is that does their twitter updates)

Artie Fufkin

Was lucky to see them in 2017. A band I'd been wanting to see for ages, but kept missing them, then they popped up in a little venue about 10 miles away from me. They totally fucking blew my mind, even though I couldn't really see them, being a stumpy little twat. Up to now, my fave album has been vs. Evil. I've listened to the new album. Once. I'm sure it'll grow on me.

jobotic

At the Music Hall? Was thinking about that place last night. Only been twice and its been packed for each gig. It's hard to imagine being crammed in like that for a gig now. I hope so much it can happen again one day. If you had to socially distance there'd be about ten people in there. And no band bigger than a duo.

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: jobotic on June 04, 2020, 03:11:48 PM
At the Music Hall? Was thinking about that place last night. Only been twice and its been packed for each gig. It's hard to imagine being crammed in like that for a gig now. I hope so much it can happen again one day. If you had to socially distance there'd be about ten people in there. And no band bigger than a duo.

Indeedy doody. Yesterday, I booked to see a band there in November. I'm not 100% I'll go. See how things are going nearer the time.
I really hope it survives this, as it's a great little venue.

Egyptian Feast

I lost track of Deerhoof after Breakup Song, which appears to have come out 8 years ago. Where has the time gone? I must give this a listen.

alan nagsworth

"Breakup Song" is a weird one. It appears to be Deerhoof playing it completely safe, as the songs are short and punchy like little condensed spicy nuggets. I believe it divided the fans, and although I like it, it is a weak spot for them. As an aside, I think it's amusingly cute that this album unashamedly features a song called "Flower", despite the fact the band has two other completely different songs of the same name on two other albums.

Favourite songs?

I think I like "The Loved One" best with its emoishness. Nice interview with Greg Saunier including a bit about learning to play the Bach piece at the end: https://atwoodmagazine.com/dftc-deerhoof-interview-2020-future-teenage-cave-artists/