Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:10:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Repair Shop

Started by Tony Tony Tony, March 25, 2020, 08:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Tony Tony

I have caught this a few times when 'working at home' when it was in it's daytime slot. It is a gem of a program and the perfect antidote to those money grubbing Flog It/Cash In The Attic shows. Hoping that a few CaB'ers might have seen it having moved to a BBC 1 evening slot.

Tonights episode where a juke box was restored to play a disc that the owner danced to with his now deceased wife on their wedding day had me in bits.

Shameless sentimentality but what the heck. 

notjosh

Yeah it's great. Proper telly. I especially love it when they do teddybears.

Problem is after a few episodes the emotional bar is set quite high and when someone comes in to pick up their restored treasure and just goes "yeah it looks decent, nice one, cheers" instead of breaking down in tears it feels like a massive waste of time.

Dex Sawash

I watched one, was a bit light on the processes for me but nice. Did up some woman's dead dad's clock. Got in trouble with my wife for making fun of the clock woman's outfits and now we don't watch it (Amazon usa)

metaltax

Quote from: notjosh on March 25, 2020, 09:50:46 PM
Problem is after a few episodes the emotional bar is set quite high and when someone comes in to pick up their restored treasure and just goes "yeah it looks decent, nice one, cheers" instead of breaking down in tears it feels like a massive waste of time.

There was one in the last series where they restored the boxing gloves of a guy's Dad's brother who'd died years ago. They were totally setting it up for a 'restored jukebox'-type reaction because he'd also brought the gloves in without telling his Dad. Then they did the reveal and he was just like "oh yeah, that's really good".

It's a running joke in our house about how often Steve the clock repairer gets lumbered with doing non-clock-related jobs, like making a belt buckle for a stuffed penguin.

poodlefaker

Would prefer more FACTS, fewer FEELINGS, cos I'm a bloke, right? They've tried to make it look as much like Bake Off as possible, when it should be like an Open University physics module from 1981.

petril

Quote from: Dex Sawash on March 26, 2020, 01:19:21 AM
some woman's dead dad's clock

[tag]Ken Dodd's transition tales[/tag]

poodlefaker

Basically it needs to be presented by someone like Fred Dibner or Fred Truman or Jack Hargreaves. Not sure who has the gravitas these days.

metaltax

Quote from: poodlefaker on March 26, 2020, 04:10:47 PM
Basically it needs to be presented by someone like Fred Dibner or Fred Truman or Jack Hargreaves. Not sure who has the gravitas these days.

Don't say that, because the BBC would just think "OK so you want it presented by someone who's handy and knows their way around a toolbox?" and then come to the conclusion that it should be presented by James May.