Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 09:32:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Are we allowed to be angry at China about COVID-19?

Started by Blinder Data, March 26, 2020, 12:33:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Also I'm blue in the face saying it elsewhere, Mx. Clearly Not A Troll, but putting the focus on China means forgetting that our governments fumbled the initial response, that our healthcare services are ill-equipped to deal with a pandemic, that despite SARS and MERS and bird flu and swine flu no lessons seem to have been learned, and that actual politicians are now on record as having said with their allegedly human mouths that the elderly should be happy to die so young people can keep feeding the economy.

So frankly, fuck you for sticking your nose in the air and screeching THERE'S MORE IMPORTANT THINGS TO WORRY ABOUT while frantically fisting yourself to your own self-righteousness and contributing to the narrative that China alone is responsible for this mess and leftie beahta cucks are too cowardly to say it.

Alberon

There are reports that China is hiding new cases and new deaths even now. Large deliveries of funeral urns in Wuhan have been mentioned, admittedly in the New York Post and Daily Hate Mail.

A more serious question is do all countries count deaths the same way. As I understand it if you die infected with the virus in the UK that counts as a virus death, but is that the case everywhere?

Gregory Torso

Quote from: c on March 29, 2020, 10:13:29 AM
It's incredible to get a sense of the moral scales of some people on this site. It seems the feelings of one transgender person in the UK weigh more, to a few of you, than the lives of untold masses of Chinese and Tibetan people who are brutalised daily. I'm a lifelong supporter of the left. There seems to be a widespread reflexive sacred belief that criticism of non-western actors is forbidden in case racism. I understand that comes from a good place. But it's lead people into a truly morally depraved realm, bending over backwards to defend the Chinese state in any way they can.

I don't think there's anyone on here who supports the Chinese government or isn't apalled by all of the things they've done, but an understandable lack of threads criticising the Chinese government, because as far as I know, there aren't a great deal of Chinese posters here - I know a few of us have first hand experience of living in China - this doesn't equate to "defending the Chinese state". Governments, people in power, they know all this horrible shit that's going on - they are the ones who should be taking action, or who could do something. Directing your anger at a niche comedy discussion forum seems to be a bit of a misdirection in my opinion.

Edit: What Poirot said above.

Second edit: Swab my taint.

bgmnts

Quote from: c on March 29, 2020, 09:59:12 AM
But don't dare criticise the Chinese state. Instead, focus all your emotional energy and moral outrage on Donald Trump and your batshit threads numbering hundreds and hundreds pages attacking Graham fucking Linehan.

Bit weird to post this in the thread discussing whether we should criticise the Chinese or not.

I think everyone here would find a lot to be angry about with the chinese state, but I also think everyone here would realise how fucking idiotic and hypocritical it would be when you list all the horrible things our own governments do on a daily basis. |Just really pointless and a tad racist like.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: bgmnts on March 29, 2020, 11:10:26 AM
Bit weird to post this in the thread discussing whether we should criticise the Chinese or not.

I think everyone here would find a lot to be angry about with the chinese state, but I also think everyone here would realise how fucking idiotic and hypocritical it would be when you list all the horrible things our own governments do on a daily basis. |Just really pointless and a tad racist like.

But then we're kind of left not being able to criticise any leader/country. Can't criticise Trump/the USA or it's racist against Americans, can't criticise Putin/Russia or it's racist against Russians, etc.

bgmnts

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on March 29, 2020, 11:50:14 AM
But then we're kind of left not being able to criticise any leader/country. Can't criticise Trump/the USA or it's racist against Americans, can't criticise Putin/Russia or it's racist against Russians, etc.

Or criticise every country?

Gregory Torso

You can criticise the government of a country without extending that criticism to everyone who lives there. Really, the problem I have with this thread, and with comments I've read elsewhere on the internet, or heard from people, is should we blame "the Chinese" - not should we blame the Chinese government,  the Chinese, as if in a country with an unelected president-for-life, we should be holding the people responsible?
I mean, you can blame people who voted for Johnson for the situation we're in now in the UK, but even then, what's the point? "I told you this would happen"? OK great, so the virus started in China, so... what... are we meant to be thinking of ways that we can punish 'China'? The only thing we can do is hope the government there ban wet markets / wildlife trade. It just all seems to be rather a waste of energy when we should be thinking about keeping ourselves and the people aound us safe.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: bgmnts on March 29, 2020, 12:10:51 PM
Or criticise every country?

That's fine. But it's going to be hard to list all the things we and other countries do that's bad every time we criticise one aspect of another country. I don't think anyone here is criticising Chinese people in general, just one small aspect of culture. Like fox hunting in the UK, the health service in the US, treatment of gay people in Saudi Arabia, etc.

imitationleather

I think the time will come to look at where this virus came from and to play the blame game, but right now that would just be doing the work of the Tories for them. They are utterly desperate for the mood in this country to become massively anti-China so that everyone will just forget about how badly they have handled this.

Bazooka

No nation can be mad at China forever, who's gonna make your dildos and flesh lights?

Buelligan

They can stick 'em up their arse as far as I'm concerned.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse