Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 06:11:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

In need of films to get my cry on

Started by Unnecessary, March 26, 2020, 07:11:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unnecessary

Hello.

I know this is incredibly subjective ....but I'm currently having a fuck of a time recovering from a life time of mental health issues and unfortunately it takes me all of my time releasing all my pent up emotions. But I love a good cry and there's nothing like a good film to get the waterworks going.

Generally I'm looking more for films that are more heart-warming/bittersweet than out and out devastation- Threads springs to mind.

Recent films that have done wonders for me in this regard include: The Tale of Princess Kaguya, Your Name, Frida.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. :)

Sebastian Cobb

Sin Agog

Not what you specified specifically as they're not all movies (for movies, I just recommend buckets loads of coming of age movies, as they always get me going), but some of the more sensitive anime series that can really make me spring a leak: short series Usagi Drop (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2061551/) about a businessman who adopts and raises his own six year old aunt; Your Lie in April, about a piano prodigy frozen inward by grief- it can be sweet and beautiful, but by the end I was literally palpitating for almost an hour it broke me up so much- on Netflix; Colourful (2010)- it's not perfect, but for some reason the central message, that if you're depressed that is just a shade of you and not the entire palette that constitutes your whole being, really resonated with me, and I imagine it would with anyone who's not on good terms with themselves; Shunji Iwai's Hana & Alice (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0407851/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1) and his rotoscope prequel (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4125300/?ref_=tt_sims_tt) are sweet, sensitive riffs on the character swap themes of Celine & Julie Go Boating and I really reckon they'd fit the gentle, melancholic vibe you're searching for.

Unnecessary

Thank you Sebastian Cobb.

Quote from: Sin Agog on March 26, 2020, 07:32:49 PM
Not what you specified specifically as they're not all movies (for movies, I just recommend buckets loads of coming of age movies, as they always get me going), but some of the more sensitive anime series that can really make me spring a leak: short series Usagi Drop (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2061551/) about a businessman who adopts and raises his own six year old aunt; Your Lie in April, about a piano prodigy frozen inward by grief- it can be sweet and beautiful, but by the end I was literally palpitating for almost an hour it broke me up so much- on Netflix; Colourful (2010- it's not perfect, but for some reason the central message, that if you're depressed that is just a shade of you and not the entire palette that constitutes your whole being, really resonated with me, and I imagine it would with anyone who's not on good terms with themselves; Shunji Iwai's Hana & Alice (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0407851/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1) and his rotoscope prequel (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4125300/?ref_=tt_sims_tt) are sweet, sensitive riffs on the character swap themes of Celine & Julie Go Boating and I really reckon they'd fit the gentle, melancholic vibe you're searching for.

All of these sound wonderful, thank you so much :)

Puce Moment

These made and continue to make me cry in good ways:

Carol, Where the Wild Things Are, Leave no Trace, Hunt for the Wilderpeople & Jojo Rabbit, Mary & Max, The Devil's Backbone, Festen, The Bicycle Thieves, Son of Rambow.

Some of them, like Festen, have dark themes that could make a person cry, but I find it is the bittersweet moments of optimism that will tend to make me cry.

chveik

off the top of my head:

Minnie and Moskowitz, Life is Sweet, A Scene at the Sea, Je t'aime, je t'aime, The Green Ray, Cléo from 5 to 7

studpuppet

I cry at the Sound Of Music before it even gets to zoom into Julie on the hillside. I am absolutely no use to you.

Jojo Rabbit is a proper answer though.

Captain Crunch

Jojo Rabbit?  Give over, it's shit.  Bunch of Oscar-chasers doing comedy by numbers and two token brats from Silvia Young.  No.  Better bet, Night of the Hunter. 

Puce Moment

Quote from: Captain Crunch on March 26, 2020, 08:45:41 PMJojo Rabbit?  Give over, it's shit.  Bunch of Oscar-chasers doing comedy by numbers and two token brats from Silvia Young.  No.  Better bet, Night of the Hunter.

a contrasting viewpoint

peanutbutter

Dunno if you'd find it bittersweet but if you wanna cry MANCHESTER BY THE SEA

Psmith

Of Mice and Men.
I find quite sad particularly the end.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Up, especially the opening sequence

Inside Out

beanheadmcginty

Nothing makes me cry more than the end of Silent Running.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on March 26, 2020, 11:33:54 PM

That's a good one.

Harry Dean Stanton singing in Lucky is good.

Deyv

Grave of the Fireflies beat the shit out of me.

Probably is too desolate, actually, sorry.

Space ghost

Quote from: Unnecessary on March 26, 2020, 07:11:59 PM
Hello.

I know this is incredibly subjective ....but I'm currently having a fuck of a time recovering from a life time of mental health issues and unfortunately it takes me all of my time releasing all my pent up emotions. But I love a good cry and there's nothing like a good film to get the waterworks going.

Generally I'm looking more for films that are more heart-warming/bittersweet than out and out devastation- Threads springs to mind.

Recent films that have done wonders for me in this regard include: The Tale of Princess Kaguya, Your Name, Frida.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. :)

If you enjoyed Your name then you should really watch 5 centimetres per second

Pseudopath

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on March 26, 2020, 11:05:18 PM
Up, especially the opening sequence

Inside Out

Can't forget Coco too. The last twenty minutes of that film destroyed me.

bgmnts

Watership Down.

Fuck every other Disney Nazi saccharine shite, watch nature's utmost cruelty in it's purest leporine form and try not to bawl your eyes out.

samadriel

Quote from: Pseudopath on March 27, 2020, 12:26:34 AM
Can't forget Coco too. The last twenty minutes of that film destroyed me.

Yes, Coco is the only film to fully wring a tear out of me.

If you like Your Name, try Weathering With You, it has a pleasant feeling of sadness and romance to it.

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on March 26, 2020, 11:33:54 PM

Good call, I always tear up when they lift the bobsled up on their shoulders and carry it over the line.

grassbath

El Unicornio, mang

Jockice

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on March 27, 2020, 02:01:23 AM
Good call, I always tear up when they lift the bobsled up on their shoulders and carry it over the line.

You may joke but I went to see Cool Runnings when it came out and started sobbing loudly at the end in a cinema full of people about half my age. Even Schindler's List didn't have that effect on me.

Hand Solo

Quote from: Jockice on March 27, 2020, 02:08:27 PM
You may joke but I went to see Cool Runnings when it came out and started sobbing loudly at the end in a cinema full of people about half my age. Even Schindler's List didn't have that effect on me.

Wasn't it well known John Candy had died in post-production when that film came out, so many people may have seen carrying the bobsled as a symbolic pall-bearing for Candy's coffin hence the poignant tears?

Symbolic, mind, or they'd be crippled.

Gulftastic

Quote from: Jockice on March 27, 2020, 02:08:27 PM

The Depardieu 'Cyrano De Bergerac' was that for me. Wept buckets in the cinema.

sevendaughters

Ikiru. Salaryman realises there's more to life than 9-5 when he gets cancer. Tears flow like blood from an artery severed.

Captain Crunch

studpuppet

Quote from: bgmnts on March 27, 2020, 12:32:20 AM
Watership Down.

Fuck every other Disney Nazi saccharine shite, watch nature's utmost cruelty in it's purest leporine form and try not to bawl your eyes out.

I have to say this brought tears to my eyes.

https://youtu.be/elkCXVp_BqU?t=49