Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 10:26:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

In need of films to get my cry on

Started by Unnecessary, March 26, 2020, 07:11:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greenman

Yi Yi
Wendy and Lucy
Blue is the Warmest Colour

Blinder Data

Might just be me but most recent Disney/Pixar always get me going. Big Hero 6, Moana, Toy Story 3, Inside Out. All blub-inducing. In fact, extend that to most better-reviewed contemporary animated films. Kubo and the Two Strings hit me hard.

maett

EBGB

Truly, Madly, Deeply. 

Burnt by the Sun (the Russian one, https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0111579/?ref_=fn_tt_tt_1).

& I'll second the Depardieu Cyrano.

Emma Raducanu

Hey LADS, I was watching The Straight Story for the thousandth time last night and it STILL brings a tear to my eyes!!!

Firstly the scene where Alvin is enjoying a thunderstorm with his daughter Rose. The standard of acting is fucking beautifully astonishing. Alvin knows shit is going down.

Then when he's in the garden late at night with Rose, Alvin delivers a line which has stuck with me for 20 years. It's the way he says it.

Look up at the Sky Rose, the sky sure is full of stars tonight.

then when he meets his brother and all those times inbetween like when he's telling the runaway teen the importance of family and she leaves him a little pile of sticks.

It's David Lynch's best film. A real tear jerker!

Captain Crunch

Seconded there, if you haven't seen it give it a watch.  I didn't find it emotional but still a great film. 

Thomas

Speaking of Davey Lynch - The Elephant Man. Weep weep weep.

Moribunderast

Quote from: Deyv on March 26, 2020, 11:46:07 PM
Grave of the Fireflies beat the shit out of me.

Probably is too desolate, actually, sorry.

I don't think any film has made me cry like that one. Maybe Dear Zachary but GOTF had me in a state that I've only been in at actual funerals of loved ones. Amazing movie and I've actually been considering re-watching it recently because I feel like I need to let all the anxiety and depression of the current world situation out. But even then I just keep thinking: "But it's SO SAD."

Pink Gregory

Quote from: DolphinFace on April 01, 2020, 10:19:28 PM
Hey LADS, I was watching The Straight Story for the thousandth time last night and it STILL brings a tear to my eyes!!!

Firstly the scene where Alvin is enjoying a thunderstorm with his daughter Rose. The standard of acting is fucking beautifully astonishing. Alvin knows shit is going down.

Then when he's in the garden late at night with Rose, Alvin delivers a line which has stuck with me for 20 years. It's the way he says it.

Look up at the Sky Rose, the sky sure is full of stars tonight.

then when he meets his brother and all those times inbetween like when he's telling the runaway teen the importance of family and she leaves him a little pile of sticks.

It's David Lynch's best film. A real tear jerker!

"I did, Lyle."

Dex Sawash

C_Larence

Quote from: Moribunderast on April 04, 2020, 01:06:48 AM
I don't think any film has made me cry like that one. Maybe Dear Zachary but GOTF had me in a state that I've only been in at actual funerals of loved ones. Amazing movie and I've actually been considering re-watching it recently because I feel like I need to let all the anxiety and depression of the current world situation out. But even then I just keep thinking: "But it's SO SAD."

Had to walk out of a sainsbury's local the day after watching this because there was a 4-5 year old japanese girl in there.

(please do not make any jokes saying that i walked out of the sainsbury's local because i was scared that i was attracted to the asian toddler or because i am racist against asian toddlers)

Deyv

Quote from: Moribunderast on April 04, 2020, 01:06:48 AM

Quote from: C_Larence on April 04, 2020, 02:35:41 PM
Had to walk out of a sainsbury's local the day after watching this because there was a 4-5 year old japanese girl in there.

When I first saw it my sister was around the age of the toddler and that really shat me up, although I like to think I wouldn't have been as pigheaded as the brother.

Rizla

Sin Agog

Quote from: Deyv on April 04, 2020, 07:21:27 PM
When I first saw it my sister was around the age of the toddler and that really shat me up, although I like to think I wouldn't have been as pigheaded as the brother.

Had the 'zact same experience with my sister, too.  Except she's half-Asian so my emotions were stronger than yours.

Jerzy Bondov

Pete's Dragon remake got me good. A Ghost Story as well, which is the same director. That had a weird effect on me. I thought it was mesmerizing but I didn't start crying until the final shot in the film. I went out and bought the Blu Ray I loved it so much, but haven't put it on yet because I'm worried it won't cast such a spell this time.

The last film that really got me was Mirai. Very sweet but extremely unflinching look at a toddler who is jealous of his new sister.

Generally speaking I'll cry at just about any old shit. Around this time last year I was stuck at home with the flu and I cried repeatedly at Happy Death Day.

Just thought of another one, Wonderstruck. Absolutely disgusting mess by the end of that.

Noodle Lizard

Lilja 4-Ever is possibly the saddest film I've seen, although I can't recall if it's ever actually made me cry. I'm always somewhat taken aback when I cry during a movie, because it's rarely ones that I think are objectively properly sad or even particularly good.

A Monster Calls had me crying inconsolably for most of the night, and recently rewatching Big Fish had me welling up towards the end, though I think that was partly down to exhaustion. A lot of the well-known tearjerkers (Grace of the Fireflies, all those Pixar ones etc.) haven't done it for me.