Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:44:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

NHS Clapping

Started by bgmnts, March 26, 2020, 08:01:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C_Larence

Is this kind of thing still happening in places like Italy?

BlodwynPig

momatt

Some really mad stuff on the Sky News reporting of this last night.
A hospital in Liverpool with lots of men running 60 miles in a carpark to raise money for local ladies making scrubs and masks by hand.  These people are lovely, kind and selfless - but it's properly fucking insane that in a relatively wealthy country we have to do stuff like this for such basic healthcare equipment.  We don't have any factories or funding for this in place?
Made me a strange combination of heart-warmed and furious.

Some little knobhead kid 'playing' a fucking trombone too.  Blasting away, right racket.  Looked like he was having fun though, fair dos.

Quote from: Abnormal Palm on May 21, 2020, 10:12:21 PM
Of course, the joke was on them, I was actually clapping myself because I had just ordered the Akira 4K UHD Blu-Ray from PlayAsia.
Nice one, heard it's pretty nice!

Dewt

Quote from: C_Larence on May 22, 2020, 04:07:48 AM
Is this kind of thing still happening in places like Italy?
Oh, I remember Italy! Remember Italy? Big deal for a while.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Head Gardener on May 21, 2020, 10:50:34 PM
clappage down 40% in my street tonight and no fireworks/car horns

Yeah this is starting to prove the general public will roll behind any old shit for a few weeks until they get bored of it. Feckless dregs.

Mobbd

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on May 22, 2020, 08:22:42 AM
Yeah this is starting to prove the general public will roll behind any old shit for a few weeks until they get bored of it. Feckless dregs.

Maybe. Or maybe they're just coming to their senses now. Like how relatively sentient people actually used to go to McDonald's.

Attila

Aside from the twats who have been doing DIY during the lockdown (specifically on weekends and bank holiday weekends*), it was quiet here. The last holdouts previously were in the house behind us, coming out to WOOHOO and play a vuvezula, but that seems to have stopped now.

*Walked past matey's house early doors this morning. His home improvements wouldn't impress kids building a treehouse. Latest wheeze if to top his new askew fencing with lattice work at all angles, none of it joined up. They've painted the fence a sort of battle-ship/sea-sickness greenish gray -- as well as what remains of the grass on the verge around it, the pavement, and the kerb. Oh, and because the street sign is on their corner lot, they've painted that, too. Aside from the noise, it's been kind of entertaining to see what each morning's grand reveal is going to be.

Dewt

Quote from: Mobbd on May 22, 2020, 08:37:18 AM
Maybe. Or maybe they're just coming to their senses now. Like how relatively sentient people actually used to go to McDonald's.
BBC Radio comedy joke

idunnosomename

BlodwynPig

olliebean

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on May 21, 2020, 09:55:40 PM
From what I gather it'll be Saturday 4th July for pub opening (outdoor seating only).

Some already seem to be getting around it with plastic cups for 'off sales'

I do wish they'd say things like "We'll open pubs when xyz specific conditions are fulfilled" rather than "We'll open pubs on 4th July even though we can't possibly know yet what the situation is going to be that far ahead."

BlodwynPig

Quote from: olliebean on May 22, 2020, 11:36:38 AM
I do wish they'd say things like "We'll open pubs when xyz specific conditions are fulfilled" rather than "We'll open pubs on 4th July even though we can't possibly know yet what the situation is going to be that far ahead."

Yup, its really really bad science and in a normal society, the government would be hauled over the coals for just this.

El Unicornio, mang

Definitely less clapping on my street last night. It's going to get to the point where only one person comes out and it'll be like that comedy moment in films where someone starts clapping expecting everyone else to join in and no-one does and they just awkwardly stop and back away.

jobotic

Quote from: olliebean on May 22, 2020, 11:36:38 AM

And schools.

And "this is what you need to do to make things safe - you can open when you do that, not before".

CLAP GONE

QuoteAnnemarie Plas, architect of the "clap for carers" gesture, has said next Thursday's event, the tenth, should be the last.

The 36-year-old, from South London, told the PA news agency: "I think it's good to have the last of the series next Thursday, because to have the most impact I think it is good to stop it at its peak.

"Without getting too political, I share some of the opinions that some people have about it becoming politicised.

"I think the narrative is starting to change and I don't want the clap to be negative.
"A clap is something normal people can do, showing our appreciation. But the power is not with us. We can give them respect but we are not signing the cheque - that falls on another desk."

Plas suggested resurrecting the clap in 2021 to mark a year since the coronavirus outbreak.

Twit 2

25% clapping turn out on my street yesterday, most people clearly arsed cigs.

Cloud

Yep definitely had it's time. Whilst I don't get the logic of those who hate the clappers, well, people do, and what started out uniting people is now dividing. Plus it's worn really thin. 10th one last and using that as a segway to "right then government, time to actually reward them" seems like a good shout.

imitationleather

Well I now think clapping is great and will be out there every Thursday forever.

Zetetic

The worst clap was the first.

seepage

Quote from: seepage on May 15, 2020, 10:03:23 AM
I give it two more weeks.

yay, I'm a winner! what prize do I get?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: seepage on May 23, 2020, 07:20:52 AM
yay, I'm a winner! what prize do I get?

Bosto will dedicate one of his eternal chimp claps to you with a signature wink

Beagle 2

Bye bye NHS clap, I did you every week
To let are brave NHS heroes they were not inherently weak
We put are hands together like the brave prime minister Boris
We sang the national anthem both the verse and then the choriss
We will beat the virus like we beat that horrid Hitler
With are spirit of the blitz now joe wicks has made us fit, yer

Shoulders?-Stomach!

No offence to the Clap Arbiter* but 'her idea' was an organic thing. If she hadn't come up with it some other fucker would have - in fact hundreds of other fuckers fucking did so, they just didn't get viral take off.

As much as I find it a trite and hollow gesture it's up to those who have taken it on to decide how they want to pay their thanks and respect to NHS workers, not for some chancer cunt to dictate to others.

Without getting too political, I share some of the opinions that some people have about it becoming politicised.

Die in a fire.

*I don't actually mean that - I actually intend an enormous amount of offense

kalowski

Forgotten about it again but was sat in my back garden at 8pm and heard it going on all around.
I know I live in a Tory stronghold but there are more cunts than I realised.

idunnosomename

i didnt hear anything tonight at the front of my property but apparently some proles could be heard at the rear (i live in an enormous mansion)

Cloud

The chat during the final clap here was "they're making this the last one"

I think pretty much like when the actual clap dies down after 1-2 minutes, everyone's just been waiting for someone to be the brave one to put an end to it, even if it's some mysterious "THEY" like it's a government mandated thing.

idunnosomename

i hope everyone who clapped gets gonorrhea

earl_sleek

Don't just hope. Make it happen.

Cloud

Well, the call for it to end worked - absolutely not a sausage here (literally every household previously)
We're an OBEDIENT lot around here :D

bgmnts

Can someone who is on facebook tell people to vote for change so as to ACTUALLY support the NHS? I'm not on facebook.