Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:24:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

NHS Clapping

Started by bgmnts, March 26, 2020, 08:01:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Thrashbarg

Quote from: Dewt on March 26, 2020, 09:46:05 PM
I just hope that the most enthusiastic of clappers goes on to support NHS workers in ways that don't elevate Boris Johnson.

So do I. And maybe even some of the unenthusiastic too. Sometimes, good things can be co-opted by shit people for self-serving reasons. But the good thing is, ultimately, still good.

Buelligan

Quote from: BlodwynPig on March 26, 2020, 09:49:10 PM
Punishable by?

I'm not sure what you mean.  What I mean is that if left-leaning people boycott something like this the only people it hurts are NHS workers and the Left (which then appears to be divisive, small minded and introducing politics into something that shouldn't be political).  Effectively publicly driving a wedge between the NHS and the Left.  Who wins there?  Not the health workers and not the Left.  Madness.

idunnosomename

Quote from: C_Larence on March 26, 2020, 09:41:10 PM

is he the joke comedian or the guy who ages backwards and turns into cum

kittens

Quote from: wooders1978 on March 26, 2020, 09:15:40 PM
Already sick of it on Instagram/Facebook

drivers browsing facebook may see it and crash into other people fool enough to use the road at this vital and special time

Zero Gravitas

Expect an explosion of new cases in Scotland tomorrow.

kittens

this is going round on facebook

Quote from: www.facebook.comI am an NHS docotor in the hospital and I do not support the clapping. Clapping the hands is known to excite and expand germs to unmanageable levels. If you must celebrate me and my friends, please do so in a responsible way, such as screaming constantly at your neighbours or pointlessly dialing 999 and then hanging up. I know only real NHS lovers will copy and paste this to their Faacebook. Signed NHS Doctor John Donctor

idunnosomename

i mean to be honest i also really respect the people working hard in supermarkets as much as those working hard in hospitals. but they're still getting paid, and i dont think slapping my hands together like a seal is going to really help

I'd rather piss on the vulture capitalists, quite frankly

Buelligan

Quote from: kittens on March 26, 2020, 10:07:47 PM
this is going round on facebook
QuoteI am an NHS docotor in the hospital and I do not support the clapping. Clapping the hands is known to excite and expand germs to unmanageable levels. If you must celebrate me and my friends, please do so in a responsible way, such as screaming constantly at your neighbours and pointlessly dialing 999 and then hanging up. I know only real NHS lovers will copy and paste this to their Faacebook. Signed NHS Doctor John Donctor

Bit sexist.

massive bereavement

Quote from: BlodwynPig on March 26, 2020, 09:47:47 PM
The guy in Italy who was on Tysky tonight said that Italy experienced a similar social outpouring 3 weeks ago (the singing), which was Phase 2

Phase 3 was boredom

They are in Phase 4 - depression and self loathing

Can't wait for Phase 4

What will phase 5 be? Spiritual awakening?
It's going to be civil unrest isn't it.

bgmnts

Phase 5 is when we all wake up in the Back to Reality game lounge and find out we've been playing like shit for the past 5000 years.

gib

I sort of liked the idea but can never quite bring myself to the point of audience participation. I do like the idea of a nurse walking home after a long shift and getting some clappy thanks.

Is this a one off or daily/weekly or what? Surely the next one will involve any leftover vuvuzelas and the one after that could involve something i haven't thought of yet but i need a piss so i'm pressing post anyway, deal with it

Deyv

I clapped. At first I felt a bit stupid, but I have a number of nurse-friends who are really struggling right now so I thought of them. It's upsetting to see people shit on them and their reputations. EDIT - I wasn't thinking of here, I was thinking of things Tories have said historically.

Quote from: bgmnts on March 26, 2020, 10:12:29 PM
Phase 5 is when we all wake up in the Back to Reality game lounge and find out we've been playing like shit for the past 5000 years.

Blimey, what a bunch of twonks.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

They don't need our claps, they needed our fucking money and our fucking votes.

pigamus

I'm with bgmnts and Zetetic, sorry. Empty sentimentalism.

Zetetic

I have to accept that some did appreciate the sentiment though.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Zetetic on March 26, 2020, 09:22:34 PM
Lurking in my own filth.

Should've done a speech.

'thanks I do work for the NHS so if you want to leave some booze at the door or tidy up my hedging feel free'.

Deyv

I've consistently voted labour since I was able to vote. I don't know what I can do other than that and try to show my appreciation through clapping when people ask me to.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Deyv on March 26, 2020, 10:25:54 PM
I've consistently voted labour since I was able to vote. I don't know what I can do other than that and try to show my appreciation through clapping when people ask me to.

Aye, that's fine, you're on the lifeboats. 2 metres tho yeh

ollyboro

Just seen the images of communities throughout the country clapping. There was a child, about seven year old, dressed in his Spiderman outfit, clapping his little heart out. I wanted to pick him up by the throat and scream in his face, "Listen, you stupid little cunt, there's no superheroes, no fairytales, no dreams come true. Just a slow painful slide to your death. Whether you get this virus, or not." Of course I soon snapped out of it. It would be irresponsible to go within 2 metres of Peter Parker.

Zetetic

The idea of frontline health care work - particularly nursing - as heroic self-sacrifice is extremely attractive [nb]and a large part of reason why I like grubbing around in the margins of the service if I'm honest[/nb] but it's fundamentally a stupid and bad attitude that doesn't serve the people we're supposed to help or the people helping them.

That this reinforces that attitude[nb]Noting the extraordinary circumstances.[/nb] does concern me a bit, in the same way the "remembrance" in this country ends up about being dignity-through-death rather than something more difficult.

honeychile

I find it sentimental codswallop, For some reason a lot of people seem to revel in sentimental codswallop - i don't understand this and it makes me often feel like a fundamentally different species.[nb]For context, i also find weddings and funerals to be sentimental codswallop, and as a consequence have never been to eiither, including those of immediate family. How's about that for a full-on fucking cunt.[/nb]

Espousing appreciation or admiration for something publicly isn't a bad thing in itself, in fact it can be fucking amazing, but the point should always be - what next?

Singing songs, waving placards, public displays of whatever you call what happened tonight, can all have their place as part of a shared culture of campaigning for something better, working towards something bigger, raising consciousness about a movement or whatever. But as an end in themselves they are black holes, being seen to be doing something in lieu of actually doing it. The respect and appreciation NHS workers need is not applause, it's sufficient PPE, equipment, staffing levels, working hours, remuneration, and having food to buy on the shelves.

The people who fought for something bigger during WWII don't need wheeling out for the cenotaph for one day a year to be told they're respected. Respect is demonstrated in their living conditions for the other 364 days, their care and their dignity. Those who died in WWII aren't respected by people bowing their heads and standing in silence for a couple of minutes, they're respected by fighting to ensure it doesn't repeat itself, by educating present and future generations of the horrors of genocide and war. If people are so attached to the sentimental part that they insist on indulging it, i can't tell them they're wrong for liking it any more than i'm wrong for not liking it, but when you indulge in it without then demanding - and what next? it is pure performative wank.

Not taking part in this is not introducing politics into something that shouldn't be political, because everything is political by default. It's reclaiming the politics from those who want to suggest that mass participation and public engagement should be mollified and neutered into a saccharine hollywood version of changing the world, where fuck all actually changes.

But a lot of people like it. What are you gonna do eh.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Zetetic on March 26, 2020, 10:29:33 PM
The idea of frontline health care work - particularly nursing - as heroic self-sacrifice is extremely attractive [nb]and a large part of reason why I like grubbing around in the margins of the service if I'm honest[/nb] but it's fundamentally a stupid and bad attitude that doesn't serve the people we're supposed to help or the people helping them.

Is that what you tell staff in shops and cafe's when they say the NHS discount is really only meant for clinical staff? It should be.

idunnosomename

ive done things that end with people clapping at me and quite frankly I find it fucking horrible

Deyv

Okay, how do I make that happen? Not being sarcastic, I want to know what I personally can do.

kalowski

Loved it, beautiful tribute. I don't want to pay more in tax but I'm happy to clap.

idunnosomename

actually i kinda like jezza's video because there's a little dog in it that made me smile

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1243284784903831554

ollyboro

I wonder which ungrateful bastard was the first to stop clapping. Name them. Persecute them. Nail some gratitude into their bog rolls.

Mr_Simnock

Quote from: alan nagsworth on March 26, 2020, 08:41:44 PM
Something quite sinister about how this reads, almost like you're wishing it on one of us.

Admit it. Admit that's what you're doing you sick fuck

Oh no you have me, I am red faced

gib

Quote from: idunnosomename on March 26, 2020, 10:35:31 PM
ive done things that end with people clapping at me and quite frankly I find it fucking horrible

close the fucking curtains then

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: honeychile on March 26, 2020, 10:33:22 PM
I find it sentimental codswallop, For some reason a lot of people seem to revel in sentimental codswallop - i don't understand this and it makes me often feel like a fundamentally different species.[nb]For context, i also find weddings and funerals to be sentimental codswallop, and as a consequence have never been to eiither, including those of immediate family. How's about that for a full-on fucking cunt.[/nb]

Espousing appreciation or admiration for something publicly isn't a bad thing in itself, in fact it can be fucking amazing, but the point should always be - what next?

Singing songs, waving placards, public displays of whatever you call what happened tonight, can all have their place as part of a shared culture of campaigning for something better, working towards something bigger, raising consciousness about a movement or whatever. But as an end in themselves they are black holes, being seen to be doing something in lieu of actually doing it. The respect and appreciation NHS workers need is not applause, it's sufficient PPE, equipment, staffing levels, working hours, remuneration, and having food to buy on the shelves.

The people who fought for something bigger during WWII don't need wheeling out for the cenotaph for one day a year to be told they're respected. Respect is demonstrated in their living conditions for the other 364 days, their care and their dignity. Those who died in WWII aren't respected by people bowing their heads and standing in silence for a couple of minutes, they're respected by fighting to ensure it doesn't repeat itself, by educating present and future generations of the horrors of genocide and war. If people are so attached to the sentimental part that they insist on indulging it, i can't tell them they're wrong for liking it any more than i'm wrong for not liking it, but when you indulge in it without then demanding - and what next? it is pure performative wank.

Not taking part in this is not introducing politics into something that shouldn't be political, because everything is political by default. It's reclaiming the politics from those who want to suggest that mass participation and public engagement should be mollified and neutered into a saccharine hollywood version of changing the world, where fuck all actually changes.

But a lot of people like it. What are you gonna do eh.

Much of this I agree with and thought it very well put.