Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:34:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Fun low-pressure low-spec online multiplayer games

Started by peanutbutter, March 26, 2020, 10:16:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peanutbutter

Basically things to just play while having a chat with other people. Turn based is better I guess but not required.

Worms games still a thing, can I get any for like a fiver that will work online on modern machines easily enough?

gib

suggest you ask our resident hedgehog about Worms Armageddon

hedgehog90

https://www.gog.com/game/worms_armageddon ($2.99)
But if you check the link below you'll find a link to a free copy ;)
(It's the same version as GOG one.)

It's an old game so it needs a few patches to make it playable, here they are along with instructions (see 'hedgehog90's instructions.txt'):

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1kTVjcPjtVw0pUxdaXINzZwZawxbS5S3I

The resolution fix is a must, otherwise you'll find it glitches out catastrophically when you try alt-tabbing / minimizing on a modern PC.
There's also a mod in there that fixes your firewall so you can connect with others online, setup your own room, etc.

I've recently gotten back into playing Worms Armageddon and it's amazing to consider what a timeless, perfectly made game it is.

gib

I used to love online Monopoly for lazy banter but there were copyright issues and the free site i was using died.

peanutbutter

Quote from: hedgehog90 on March 26, 2020, 11:19:07 PM
https://www.gog.com/game/worms_armageddon ($2.99)
But if you check the link below you'll find a link to a free copy ;)
(It's the same version as GOG one.)

It's an old game so it needs a few patches to make it playable, here they are along with instructions (see 'hedgehog90's instructions.txt'):

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1kTVjcPjtVw0pUxdaXINzZwZawxbS5S3I

The resolution fix is a must, otherwise you'll find it glitches out catastrophically when you try alt-tabbing / minimizing on a modern PC.
There's also a mod in there that fixes your firewall so you can connect with others online, setup your own room, etc.

I've recently gotten back into playing Worms Armageddon and it's amazing to consider what a timeless, perfectly made game it is.
Glad to hear it still holds up! Unfortunately the difficult to set up thing is an issue as I'll be stuck setting it up for friends via the internet and would lose my mind trying to explain patches and stuff. Is WMD the only version where this won't be an issue?

hedgehog90

Tomorrow I'll set it up on my computer and send you the patched version.
That way all your friends will need to do is download a zip and unzip it.

peanutbutter

ahhh it's that simple? I thought there'd be some custom bits for individuals machines and whatnot, I can take a stab at it myself over the weekend, thanks!

Super long shot: any idea if it'd work okay on Wine? I find it's sometimes arguably better with some old shit than Windows 10 direct.

hedgehog90

With the latest patch installed, in the advanced options section of the game there's a checkbox labelled: 'Force Wine Virtual Desktop'
No idea what that means, but I guess it's been patched to work on Wine.

Here's the installed version with patches applied:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1vIuN5tnQNkANRD8IgV-u-KnuOLQltXII

Download, unzip.
Before playing run TWEAKS.reg. It sets a few options so the worms application can load some helpful WormKit modules, sets the renderer to Direct 3D 9 (CPU) and also skips the intro for immediate load.
Run WA.exe to play the game.
In the options, make sure to set the resolution to match your monitor. It should be 1920x1080 by default.
Do note however that the resolution option only relates to battles.
The menu runs in 480x360 resolution and you'll find the borderless window sticks to the top left corner of the screen, but it's way more preferable than the fullscreen glitchy nightmare that you'd experience otherwise. Trust me :)

All Surrogate

Wonderful Butternut

Wonder does anyone still play Scorched Earth 3D?

peanutbutter

Quote from: hedgehog90 on March 27, 2020, 10:18:05 AM
With the latest patch installed, in the advanced options section of the game there's a checkbox labelled: 'Force Wine Virtual Desktop'
No idea what that means, but I guess it's been patched to work on Wine.

Here's the installed version with patches applied:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1vIuN5tnQNkANRD8IgV-u-KnuOLQltXII

Download, unzip.
Before playing run TWEAKS.reg. It sets a few options so the worms application can load some helpful WormKit modules, sets the renderer to Direct 3D 9 (CPU) and also skips the intro for immediate load.
Run WA.exe to play the game.
In the options, make sure to set the resolution to match your monitor. It should be 1920x1080 by default.
Do note however that the resolution option only relates to battles.
The menu runs in 480x360 resolution and you'll find the borderless window sticks to the top left corner of the screen, but it's way more preferable than the fullscreen glitchy nightmare that you'd experience otherwise. Trust me :)
Great stuff, cheers!

Just discovered I'm working all this weekend right through to next Friday so fuck knows when I'll get around to playing with others but I'll see if everything sets up okay on Windows 10 and (ideally) macOS with Wine, dont expect the latter but here's hoping!

Quote from: All Surrogate on March 27, 2020, 05:57:59 PM
Is there still a CaB Minecraft server?
Is Minecraft multiplayer? I've never actually played it....

Zetetic

Minecraft can be multiplayer, and it's certainly low pressure (and collaborative).

evilcommiedictator

TF2 is still great fun and because it's free it is still being played

peanutbutter

Quote from: peanutbutter on March 27, 2020, 09:05:37 PM
Just discovered I'm working all this weekend right through to next Friday so fuck knows when I'll get around to playing with others but I'll see if everything sets up okay on Windows 10 and (ideally) macOS with Wine, dont expect the latter but here's hoping!
Depending on which driver I use for Wine, I can get it working with the mouse not registering, or with the mouse registering but nothing else rendering.
Looks like it'll be a doddle on a windows machine, but it's way too much hassle on mac to get any of my mac friends to try it.

Will try windows at the weekend