Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 06:58:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Watching TV characters eat, just shove it in your gob

Started by Bazooka, March 27, 2020, 09:12:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bazooka

Always bothered me it has, characters eating or lack of eating in programmes.  I know they aren't going eat everything because they have to do multiple takes, but Everybody Loves Raymond was on in the background, and Raymond had a biscuit, now it was big enough for a one bite(I only one bite biscuits) but he was snapping tiny nano chunks off and putting them in his gob, my blood pressure soared.

Salads are a big one, I don't avidly watch Bing Bang theory, but when it I catch scenes they are either in a comic shop or eating salad. For one a bunch of super nerds would not only be consuming salads, but they fucking stab it multiple times with a fork as in fear it will pounce.

Again, it's for obvious reasons they don't eat, but I often struggle to even listen to the dialogue because said food lives between planes of limbo consumption.

I hate it when characters eat in a performative way, like they're in prison, hunched over with their elbows out and shovelling it in as a cheap way of showing that they're a no nonsense character.

Another source of irritation is when (usually American) characters eat Chinese food out of those little cartons, they often do it in this nonchalant way and speak with a mouth half full of food, suggesting they're some raconteur that is blessing you with something that can't wait but a few seconds longer. IT guys/hackers in films often do that too while they set to work on some complex problem the main character has asked for their assistance with, to show how easy the task is to them that they can also consume food from the Asian continent out of a small cardboard box at the same time.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: thelittlemango on March 27, 2020, 10:54:06 AM
I hate it when characters eat in a performative way, like they're in prison, hunched over with their elbows out and shovelling it in as a cheap way of showing that they're a no nonsense character.

Another source of irritation is when (usually American) characters eat Chinese food out of those little cartons, they often do it in this nonchalant way and speak with a mouth half full of food, suggesting they're some raconteur that is blessing you with something that can't wait but a few seconds longer. IT guys/hackers in films often do that too while they set to work on some complex problem the main character has asked for their assistance with, to show how easy the task is to them that they can also consume food from the Asian continent out of a small cardboard box at the same time.

Speaking as a developer I do this but with crisps and nuts.

Norton Canes

When actors have to drink and they take too many sips, tiny little sips in between each sentence

Glebe

Bazooka

You made me eggs?
Did I ask for eggs?
How did you know exactly when I would walk into the kitchen so they wouldn't be cold?
Who is going to drink that large jug of orange?
You do know I've got to rush to the office whilst fiddling with my tie?
eGgZ?

Gregory Torso

Really want to see Huw Edwards make and eat a peanut butter sandwich during the six o clock news.

selectivememory

Always really enjoyed watching the Sopranos cunts stuff their faces with Italian food.

Inspector Norse

My worst memory of this kind of thing is Steven Soderbergh's remake of Solaris where Clooney and McElhone are lying naked on their stomachs on their bed talking, and they occasionally pick up a bowl of noodles from the floor and eat a mouthful then put them back down.

THIS IS NOT HOW PEOPLE EAT

Dex Sawash

Hate when paper/foam cups are obviously empty.

Related hate is when someone soaks themselves or someone else with gasoline it is always obvious that it is really just water. Surely there is some liquid that behaves like gasoline when it is sloshed over some cunt.

beanheadmcginty

Always enjoyed watching Delboy making and eating a sandwich.

bgmnts

The way James Gandolfini eats in The Sopranos, especially in the later seasons, makes me want to throw up.

No fucking about prodding it all over the plate, just shovels it down his gullet like a horse.

JamesTC

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on March 27, 2020, 06:11:25 PM
Always enjoyed watching Delboy making and eating a sandwich.

Remember when Boycie makes a sandwich and as a result is arrested for kidnapping an Iranian man?

olliebean

Does it bother you more when they have food but aren't eating it, or when they eat it and the edit cuts between two camera angles and the bit they've just eaten in one shot but not the other keeps disappearing and reappearing on the food?

Alberon

Quote from: Dex Sawash on March 27, 2020, 04:55:10 PM
Hate when paper/foam cups are obviously empty.

This. I can't help but notice it. Couldn't they just weight them a bit to make it less obvious? Maybe a sealed compartment with liquid in? I'm overthinking it, but it never looks right.

timebug

The mug of scalding hot tea/coffee; it is lifted and a deep swig is apparently taken. After which, the actor blows to cool the non existant fluid, and takes tiny sips, from what is obviously an empty mug! If the scenes are outdoors in winter (think popular soaps*) where is the steam vapour rising from the mug? Small thing that really pisses me off!

*I don't watch any soaps,ever.But in the past I have seen this when my wife was watching Coronation Street or Emmerdale!

Bazooka

Quote from: timebug on March 28, 2020, 10:19:28 AM
The mug of scalding hot tea/coffee; it is lifted and a deep swig is apparently taken. After which, the actor blows to cool the non existant fluid, and takes tiny sips, from what is obviously an empty mug! If the scenes are outdoors in winter (think popular soaps*) where is the steam vapour rising from the mug? Small thing that really pisses me off!

*I don't watch any soaps,ever.But in the past I have seen this when my wife was watching Coronation Street or Emmerdale!

They always adopt the two hand cup holding method, as a wild single hand would fling it around aimlessly.

Sherman Krank

A ten minute scene of Mike methodically constructing and then slowly eating a cheese and ham toastie.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Sherman Krank on March 31, 2020, 07:33:41 PM
A ten minute scene of Mike methodically constructing and then slowly eating a cheese and ham toastie.

Dunno if you watch Mr Robot but there was a jump-cut scene of someone assembling a toastie in that and some wally on reddit still felt the need to ask how to make one.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MrRobot/comments/e8rxfr/how_do_i_make_a_grilled_cheese_like_dom/

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I've always wondered about those American carton things. Is that all you can get from Chinese places over there, "dry" noodle stuff like Chow Mein? Must get quite boring. When they order something with a sauce does it come in tinfoil cartons/plastic containers like in the UK? Also, they always make a big deal of using chopsticks. You never see somebody in a TV show just go "Ah, fuck it. Too much hassle" and get a fork out.

Glebe

Not 'TV', but just want to give a shout out to Stan Laurel eating the boiled egg in County Hospital.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on April 01, 2020, 09:36:45 PM
I've always wondered about those American carton things. Is that all you can get from Chinese places over there, "dry" noodle stuff like Chow Mein? Must get quite boring. When they order something with a sauce does it come in tinfoil cartons/plastic containers like in the UK? Also, they always make a big deal of using chopsticks. You never see somebody in a TV show just go "Ah, fuck it. Too much hassle" and get a fork out.

The single worst scene in The Office has Jim and Pam smugly eating Chinese food with chopsticks being all cool and urban sophisticates. You live in Shitsville, PA, you should regard anything oriental with fear and suspicion!

Back to the Big Bang Theory, most of that show revolves around them eating, either lunch in the college cafeteria or at home on the couch. The home scenes are normally ok (or at least Sheldon distracts from the eating) but canteen scenes always seem to look fake in everything.

The Simpsons has the best meal scenes (and the weirdest-looking food), but it's a lot easier to do eating in animation.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I was watching On The Buses on ITV3 recently (I know, but I find it fascinating. It's a snapshot of an era I will never live through), and I noticed Bob Grant eating in a similar manner. It was like "my character is a no nonsense, salt of the earth type, likes his crumpet, likes his nosh, and I'm going to reflect this by eating my pie and chips with as much gusto as I can manage".

monkfromhavana

I always seem to take notice when people on a TV show order a takeaway curry. There's normally two people in the scene, but they seem to order about 4 curries, 4 rice, 4 naans, bhajis, 10 popadoms.

Now, I'm a fat, greedy bastard, but there's no way on earth I could eat half of the above. When people on TV buy fish 'n' Chips they aren't shown to buy 5 large portions of chips and 12 cod.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: monkfromhavana on April 12, 2020, 06:07:10 PM
I always seem to take notice when people on a TV show order a takeaway curry. There's normally two people in the scene, but they seem to order about 4 curries, 4 rice, 4 naans, bhajis, 10 popadoms.

Yeah - one of the adverts that Peter Kay was in took place in an Indian restaurant, and after saying whatever the punchline to it was, he just casually shouted "A couple more lamb bhunas over here please." to a waiter as if he were just getting more poppadums.

beanheadmcginty

To be fair though, Peter Kay is a fucking fat cunt.

QDRPHNC

Once you notice the way Tony Soprano eats, you can never un-notice it.

I also enjoyed the Outback Steakhouse product placement in The Righteous Gemstones. All this food perfectly laid out between two people and neither of them touch it.

"Enjoy your Outback Steakhouse dinner... g'day."
"G'day."

Mister Six

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on April 01, 2020, 09:36:45 PM

Anything "wet" comes in either a metal container with cardboard lid or a plastic container (with plastic lid). Most places near where I live in NYC only deliver your side orders of rice in little cardboard boxes. Maybe it's cardboard all the way elsewhere in the US (especially, one presumes, LA) though.