Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:08:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Watching TV characters eat, just shove it in your gob

Started by Bazooka, March 27, 2020, 09:12:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Z

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on April 12, 2020, 06:28:30 PM
Yeah - one of the adverts that Peter Kay was in took place in an Indian restaurant, and after saying whatever the punchline to it was, he just casually shouted "A couple more lamb bhunas over here please." to a waiter as if he were just getting more poppadums.

When I first saw that I thought a 'lamboona' was some kind of northern slang for pint.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Mister Six on April 13, 2020, 04:40:44 PM
Anything "wet" comes in either a metal container with cardboard lid or a plastic container (with plastic lid). Most places near where I live in NYC only deliver your side orders of rice in little cardboard boxes. Maybe it's cardboard all the way elsewhere in the US (especially, one presumes, LA) though.

Does anywhere serve takeaway food in a foil swan like on Archer?

Janie Jones

Quote from: Bazooka on March 27, 2020, 09:12:49 AM
Always bothered me it has, characters eating or lack of eating in programmes.

Absolutely. If there's food in a scene, it's all I can focus on.

I've mentioned on CaB before how people used to write to Points of View in the 1970s and 80s complaining about soap and sitcom actors pushing uneaten food around their plates. Emmerdale Farm was the noted exception where Annie Sugden's boys tucked into their meals with evident relish.

I have a couple of friends who are actors and they hate scenes where they have to eat. You are running on adrenaline so your mouth is dry and your stomach in knots; dealing with food is the last thing your body wants to do. If you're on stage you also have to remember when to put food in your mouth and swallow so it doesn't interfere with your lines.

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on April 06, 2020, 01:52:34 PM
I was watching On The Buses on ITV3 recently (I know, but I find it fascinating. It's a snapshot of an era I will never live through), and I noticed Bob Grant eating in a similar manner. It was like "my character is a no nonsense, salt of the earth type, likes his crumpet, likes his nosh, and I'm going to reflect this by eating my pie and chips with as much gusto as I can manage".

Nice observation. He's a rare on-screen authentic eater although given what we know about his personal life and looking at the state of him, I reckon he was probably genuinely hungry