Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 11:16:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Anyone been stopped in their car?

Started by Twit 2, March 27, 2020, 02:10:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twit 2

I want go to my mate's woods, it's totally non-essential, except I suppose some of the wood carrying and little jobs would be exercise. I'm in a car then I'm in 4 acres of privately owned space. Zero risk to anyone. If I get stopped should I just say I'm on my way home from work (I'm a key worker, but working from home) or the shops (bung a kitchen roll in the passenger seat)? This is rural Norfolk roads we're talking.

Has anyone actually been stopped driving along?

Thomas

If the police officer recognises you from one of the dogging sessions in 'your mate's woods', I'm sure they'll let you on your way.

Shit Good Nose

My sister lives near Yate (outskirts of Bristol) and there are a few police road blocks (or effective road blocks at least) on the outer edges and they're only letting people in and out for the essential trips (i.e. shopping and care visits) - anyone wanting to venture out to the wilds to exercise or just going for a drive is being turned back and told to do it near home instead.

idunnosomename

just wind your window down and say "fuck off copper" and drive off

shiftwork2

Just do it, haven't seen any evidence of roadblocks.  It'll be weeks before we have that if at all.  Overzealous plod reactions seem to have so far been confined to the Peak District drone footage and attendant 'twitter-shaming', which showed people exercising in ones and twos keeping plenty of distance.

gilbertharding

Most of the photos I've seen of 'crowds of people' in parks and beaches have been taken with extremely long lenses, and commented on by people who have completely failed to recognise the foreshortening effect this has - making people who are clearly separated look much closer together than they are.

In other words, people with no sense of perspective, have no sense of perspective.

Mind you - I live in a village in the countryside. On my 5km state-sanctioned walk yesterday, I probably crossed the path of 10 people - so it was easy to keep 2m separation from anyone I met, and I didn't have to drive to get there. Don't know what it's like in bigger places.

massive bereavement

Quote from: gilbertharding on March 27, 2020, 03:39:31 PM
Most of the photos I've seen of 'crowds of people' in parks and beaches have been taken with extremely long lenses, and commented on by people who have completely failed to recognise the foreshortening effect this has - making people who are clearly separated look much closer together than they are.

In other words, people with no sense of perspective, have no sense of perspective.

Mind you - I live in a village in the countryside. On my 5km state-sanctioned walk yesterday, I probably crossed the path of 10 people - so it was easy to keep 2m separation from anyone I met, and I didn't have to drive to get there. Don't know what it's like in bigger places.

If we're still in lockdown when it hits 25-30c, it's muggy and you've got people stuck in flats and terraced houses with nowhere to go other than a very basic park with a small play area in the middle of a sprawling housing estate, it's going to be very tough to enforce.
I don't drive but fortunately for me, I'm up on a hill very close to open countryside and woodland that stretches out for miles below.

Jasha

Quote from: idunnosomename on March 27, 2020, 02:42:38 PM
just wind your window down and say "fuck off copper 2 metres right 2 fucking metres" and drive off

They can't arrest you without breaking the law themselves.

Ahhhhhhh.

Not that it would stop them ordinarily, obviously.

Alberon

At my university we're working from home [nb]Officially, the nature of our job means that since virtually no one else is at work there's nothing for us to do.[/nb] but our boss has asked if we can, if needed, come in to help with the few remaining porters or security. If we agree, then they'll send us letters which we can apparently shove in the face of the old bill showing we're on work business.

batwings

As long as you don't have an accident on the way and put more stress on the NHS it's fine.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Well that's entirely the responsibility of the cyclists.