Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 01:24:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Megg Mogg & Owl in Quarantine

Started by DocDaneeka, March 27, 2020, 04:33:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister Six

The tonal shift between panels 9 and 10 in this latest one is quite something.

PlanktonSideburns

The artist is very fucking good at this isn't he

idunnosomename

new one lads. and yes he is fucking superb. he's basically shown up the entire noughties re: amazing webcomic

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Ooh what a twist in the latest one!

ps please help me, I've read all the collected books and I've started doing literary analysis on them and thinking about the characters and how damaged they are and their motivations oh god no

Custard

Finally caught up with the strips I missed, and I know I'm not adding anything new, but this has been so great

Really really hope all the new strips are eventually scooped up into a book, as they are way too great to slip down his Instagram page

Greatly looking forward to the rarities book too. Hopefully it's got the WWJ and Sons strips and the Playboy one

13 schoolyards

Quote from: Shameless Custard on May 24, 2020, 10:19:22 AM
Finally caught up with the strips I missed, and I know I'm not adding anything new, but this has been so great

Really really hope all the new strips are eventually scooped up into a book, as they are way too great to slip down his Instagram page

Greatly looking forward to the rarities book too. Hopefully it's got the WWJ and Sons strips and the Playboy one

Don't know about the WWJ & Sons strips but the Playboy one is definitely there: https://books.google.com.au/books?id=ck-3DwAAQBAJ&pg=PA9&source=gbs_selected_pages&cad=2#v=onepage&q&f=false

idunnosomename

god todays is the cliffhanger to end all cliffhangers. nooooooooooooooooooo

13 schoolyards

I didn't think there was any way he could top yesterday's cliffhanger but today's twist was amazing. This has made the destruction of western civilisation worthwhile.

Pink Gregory

Am I the only one who thought it was a bit shark-jumpy? Maybe I just need to let it settle more in my mind.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on May 27, 2020, 08:37:07 AM
Maybe I just need to let it settle more in my mind.

I've quickly come to realise with this lockdown series that even if a certain plot point will seem predictable or "too far", it will reveal itself to be vitally instrumental in some great development a few days or a week down the line. I noted this when Jaxon tried to kill himself, which was bleak enough in itself but didn't spark much shock within me ... until this week when you understand exactly why he tried to do it.

I'm fucking loving this, still. There's a final panel in one from this week where after all the horror of Dracula Junior slicing up WWJ there's a horrified Owl lying on the floor live-streaming the whole thing. Fucking horrendous and so funny.

I also found it fantastic that in yesterday's strip, as Dracula Junior was about to slice WWJ's dick off, he was rock hard, as opposed to the strip the day before where it was limp and flaccid. This is also similar of Jaxon, as when he'd tied up in the house by Dracula Junior and Woody, he suddenly gets a boner lying panicked on the floor. Danger boner, like father like son. It's those little character details that really make this strip sing.

Yeah I'm feeling better about it the more I think about it. Like,
Spoiler alert
whose idea was it to light a heroin candle in a wooden treehouse? Blameshifting are we, Ian??
[close]

I trust Hanselmann. The story will be great. Bad Gateway was so fucking good and sad and I can't wait to read Meg's Coven when it finally comes out.

idunnosomename

this has not jumped the shark it is still gripping and excellent

oh he lives in Seattle now? i did wonder why it was so america-centric despite him being australian. but i mean if I was a funny cartoon man I would set my animal/witch cartoon in America not least because it is basically one big cartoon

Mister Six

Someone has pointed out that Mike looks dead in this strip. I went back over the last few days of strips and... well, it doesn't look good.

Mister Six

(Has Hanselmann actually stated that this is out of continuity, BTW?)

Quote from: Mister Six on May 29, 2020, 03:11:45 PM
I would guess it is on account of in "the present" of the comics, Owl has moved out. Meg is also 29 in Bad Gateway but was a teenager in the 90s which doesn't work if she's 29 in 2020, which would seem to suggest that the quarantine storyline would have to be set after Bad Gateway in order to be canon and not an AU or an imaginary story.

Mister Six

Ah, right. I didn't realise there were proper ongoing arcs and such. Cool!

Consignia

I wouldn't say there's an ongoing story as such. I've not read Megahex[nb]I've read the other 3 books[/nb], but I believe it ends on a cliff hanger (Owl moving out), and it's not picked up again until Bad Gateway, with all the intervening comics ignoring it. I guess there's going to be a conclusion to Bad Gateway's story at some point, but the next book is going back to odds and sods (can anyone correct me on this?).

Quote from: Consignia on May 29, 2020, 11:23:37 PM
I wouldn't say there's an ongoing story as such. I've not read Megahex[nb]I've read the other 3 books[/nb], but I believe it ends on a cliff hanger (Owl moving out), and it's not picked up again until Bad Gateway, with all the intervening comics ignoring it. I guess there's going to be a conclusion to Bad Gateway's story at some point, but the next book is going back to odds and sods (can anyone correct me on this?).
I disagree that the intervening comics ignore the ending of Megahex - there are continuity notes in Megg and Mogg in Amsterdam and One More Year that state the strips take place during Megahex or before the end of Megahex. The next book, Seeds and Stems, looks to be a collection of Hanselmann's self-published limited-run stuff that hasn't been collected before and I presume most of those strips will be set before Owl moves out.

Since I started following the comics on Instagram and binge-read all the books, I googled the author and in a couple of recent-ish interviews he mentions a future book entitled "Megg's Coven". He intends it to be the story of Megg confronting why she is the way she is and maybe getting clean and getting her life back on track and it's gonna be suuuuper long and all new.

Phil_A

He has tinkered with the continuity before, e.g. originally Werewolf Jones was killed off in a flash-forward strip set in 2017, but this has since become non-canon (Jones is still planned to die in different circumstances, but the date's been pushed forward to an uncertain point in the future).

idunnosomename

I mean even this current run is kinda lax with narrative consistency. In that the redemption of Werewolf Jones was almost certainly a retcon from Hanselmann writing himself into a corner with what a despicable cunt he was, but regardless it's a satisfying arc. still think genuinely this one of the most wonderful creative processes I've witnessed. anyway new one up 20 min ago

MojoJojo

Quote from: idunnosomename on May 30, 2020, 12:54:13 AM
I mean even this current run is kinda lax with narrative consistency. In that the redemption of Werewolf Jones was almost certainly a retcon from Hanselmann writing himself into a corner with what a despicable cunt he was,

Nah, WWJ looking a complete cunt and Owl having the moral high ground over him, only for some revelation to come out that only makes him a partial cunt and for everyone to turn on Owl is a recurring theme. Not that that is exactly what has happened here, but I was expecting some sort of "redemption" for WWJ.

I get the feeling that if WWJ could get clean and stay clean he'd be a good dad. Warehouse Jones is a decent guy, I feel. But then the fact that he's a werewolf suggests there's an inevitability to his drug use, like he'll always relapse just like the full moon always comes around.

Also I wonder if Jaxon and Diesel turn human if/when they're not constantly fed sugar cereal doused in energy drink. Like does Susan feed them properly or is she just as depraved as WWJ?

Mister Six

Jaxon would have turned back by now under Owl's care in that case, wouldn't he?

Actually other than Owl flying, do any of them have "powers"? Aren't they just regular people, functionally speaking?

idunnosomename

Quote from: MojoJojo on May 30, 2020, 01:09:16 PM
Nah, WWJ looking a complete cunt and Owl having the moral high ground over him, only for some revelation to come out that only makes him a partial cunt and for everyone to turn on Owl is a recurring theme. Not that that is exactly what has happened here, but I was expecting some sort of "redemption" for WWJ.
true. that he had all his fur burnt off wasn't really explained properly initially so I agree I think as soon as he conceived the treehouse disaster he had the idea a completely fucked up WWJ did a hero

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: Mister Six on May 29, 2020, 03:11:19 PM
Spoiler alert

Someone has pointed out that Mike looks dead in this strip. I went back over the last few days of strips and... well, it doesn't look good.
[close]
Spoiler alert
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
[close]

13 schoolyards

Quote from: Mister Six on May 29, 2020, 03:11:45 PM

Pretty sure he replied to one of the early comments on instagram and said that this was an out-of-continuity story featuring the "classic" sitcom versions of the characters (wacky drug adventures with Owl still living with them, not the grimmer depressing versions seen in Bad Gateway).

One of the things I've always liked about MM&O is that there's a "core" story with them (that Hanselmann's had planned out for years - Bad Gateway first appeared as a couple of short peces titled Meggs Coven for an Australian comics magazine eight or so years ago) but then he's happy to use them to do all kinds of other stuff when the mood takes him. I'm pretty sure the "real" MM&O didn't meet Stan Lee: https://truthzonefan.tumblr.com/image/38447675138

GoblinAhFuckScary

Spoiler alert
Mike :((

At what point did he actually pass? He was fine, then in the next ep he was just all stares
[close]