Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:25:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Megg Mogg & Owl in Quarantine

Started by DocDaneeka, March 27, 2020, 04:33:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idunnosomename

Artie Fufkin

Spoiler alert
She's not black, don't shoot!
[close]
Oh my life.

GoblinAhFuckScary

Find myself getting exhausted by the lack of momentum this often has. Maybe I don't vibe with serialised comics etc, but with the recent one
Spoiler alert
I was SO relieved that the focus was coming off Jones for one second then BAM Mogg's back in the cage and back to Jones.

TOO much Jones really.
[close]

Pink Gregory

Worth it for compounding Mogg being useless.

Was reading back through it and came across "Papa Bareback's Budget Piss-Sticks".

Howled.

It is a bit of a shame that it's turned into a mostly WWJ comic when it had much more of an ensemble going on early on.  Shame that Desi and Jaxon aren't getting that much.

chveik

yeah I also preferred when WWJ was a secondary character. the tiger king arc got tedious really quickly

Pink Gregory

I suppose in a serialised comic Jones is a lot easier to do a lot of different  stuff with; whereas I imagine Megg, Mogg and Owl take a bit more consideration?

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

I mean, WWJ is the most unpredictable character. He'd do anything. Megg and Mogg would just sit there doing drugs and then bicker with each other when they ran out of drugs. While Owl vainly tried to get them to do something before ultimately joining them in doing drugs because that's what he really wants, someone to enable his own bad habits.

13 schoolyards

I suspect as well it's partly to do with the fact that Megg is a more "serious" character - it seems like she'll be the focus of Hanselmann's work moving forward, whereas WWJ is just a dick-around comedy character who's going to (spoiler) die before his time anyway.

WWJ is a character he can totally trash here because he's got no future and zany adventures are his thing.

The Mollusk

The art style has really been dialled up in the last week or so hasn't it? Not to his other published strip standards but a highly admirable effort being pumped into this on the daily.

MojoJojo

Seems that all the people bored of WWJ antics are getting a shout out today.

Mister Six

"A plague of wokists" made me snort.

chveik

samadriel

Oh, first time I've seen
Spoiler alert
human WWJ
[close]
. Whatever next?

idunnosomename

Wow yeah. Oddly poignant.

I liked the one that was basically just Owl tidying up

Quote from: samadriel on October 28, 2020, 11:03:50 AM
Oh, first time I've seen
Spoiler alert
human WWJ
[close]
. Whatever next?
He appears briefly at the end of One More Year and for a bit longer in Bad Gateway. Happens whenever he's completely sober. I wonder why it doesn't happen with Jaxon and Diesel/Desi and Vejonica.

Then again it seems Susan is a druggie too so the poor kids are probably never not suffering from a contact high, too much sugar and energy drink, or both.

samadriel

I read somewhere that it's sugar highs and general energy drink side-effects that keeps the kids in wolf mode. (I've got Bad Gateway, haven't read it yet).

Quote from: samadriel on October 28, 2020, 12:28:18 PM
I read somewhere that it's sugar highs and general energy drink side-effects that keeps the kids in wolf mode. (I've got Bad Gateway, haven't read it yet).
Another theory in the comments of the latest strip is that the kids are permanent werewolves as an allegory for being born drug-addicted. Older/Adult Jaxon has appeared a handful of times in strips and is still a werewolf despite apparently having his life together, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Read Bad Gateway, it's incredible.

13 schoolyards

Quote from: samadriel on October 28, 2020, 11:03:50 AM
Oh, first time I've seen
Spoiler alert
human WWJ
[close]
. Whatever next?

You also see his (human) severed head in the very early "WOTW" alien invasion 'zine / dream sequence that's in Seeds and Stems, though nobody actually says "that's WWJ's head". Hanselmann must have had Jones' human side figured out very early on.

GoblinAhFuckScary

Maybe anticipating some Lost Highway-esque confusion and subsequent release of their convict post-transformation

"this is some spooky shit we got here"

Pink Gregory

Has WWJ never been arrested before?

samadriel

Does anyone know at what point in the history of the strip Hanselman confirmed that Megg & Mogg live in America? Before the Insta comic, I'd always assumed they lived in Melbourne (does Hanselman himself live in the States now? I dunno where to get the goss on this stuff.) Feels like a bit of a waste to have an Aussie talent showing almost a cultural cringe when setting his work, when i think Australia is a far better fit for stoned suburban dolescum like M & M.

13 schoolyards

Quote from: Pink Gregory on October 28, 2020, 02:55:00 PM
Has WWJ never been arrested before?

He ends up in jail (and sobers up / transforms back) at the end of the Worst Behaviour one-shot. Which I think he later coloured and reprinted in one of his books?

Quote from: samadriel on October 28, 2020, 07:43:23 PM
Does anyone know at what point in the history of the strip Hanselman confirmed that Megg & Mogg live in America? Before the Insta comic, I'd always assumed they lived in Melbourne (does Hanselman himself live in the States now? I dunno where to get the goss on this stuff.) Feels like a bit of a waste to have an Aussie talent showing almost a cultural cringe when setting his work, when i think Australia is a far better fit for stoned suburban dolescum like M & M.

I think MM&O have always just lived in a vague suburban wasteland that has never been identified as any one location. The earlier stuff definitely felt like Melbourne - the 7/11 they used to visit was clearly the one across the road from Hanselmann's flat (I went there once to pick up a book I bought from him online) (clang) - whereas now that he lives in Seattle the locations feel a lot more USA-ish. I agree Melbourne feels a much more natural home for their shabby antics, but as supposedly a lot of WWJ's stunts and personality come from people Hanselmann knew in Tasmania I guess they've been transplants for a while now.

Mister Six

Made me laugh a lot, but that's a dated reference. I guess there's not much to mine from the news like there has been earlier in the year (see also: doing a Tiger King parody ages after that was The Big Thing). Hopefully the second American Civil War tentatively scheduled for November 7 will provide some good material.

Wonder if he wishes he'd pulled the trigger on the #WWJ2020 bid earlier in the year? That seems like something he could have had fun with. Although maybe that's getting too "big".

idunnosomename

"It's kinda fucked up keeping him in a cage in the toilet"

MojoJojo

I have to admit it took me a few moments to remember why owl was pissed with Mogg. Compared to all the other shit it seems pretty mild.