Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:21:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Megg Mogg & Owl in Quarantine

Started by DocDaneeka, March 27, 2020, 04:33:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: Mister Six on November 13, 2020, 03:47:54 PM
So the reading order is Amsterdam, Megahex, Bad Gateway?
[Amsterdam/One More Year/Megahex] -> Last strip of Megahex where Owl leaves -> Bad Gateway.

Mister Six

madhair60

Release order. Megahex, Amsterdam, One More Year, Bad Gateway. Continuity really isn't important

garbed_attic

Well, that was grim. I understand why folks in the comments are saying that the strip was triggering for them. It's partly tonal, I'd guess.

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: gout_pony on November 14, 2020, 11:42:05 AM
Well, that was grim. I understand why folks in the comments are saying that the strip was triggering for them. It's partly tonal, I'd guess.

I wonder why Hanselmann gets a bit of a free pass for some of these jokes tho. I can't see any humour whatsoever in
Spoiler alert
prison rape
[close]
yeesh

garbed_attic

I'm not sure if it was intended to be a funny one? It is something of a tonal issue with his work, though it also provides the frisson, I suppose. It did remind me of that regrettable 'Mark gets raped' episode of Peep Show (a series I known Hanselmann's a fan of).

GoblinAhFuckScary

What is the particular justification for including a sudden
Spoiler alert
rape side-plot
[close]
? Regarding it not intending to be funny, I think we all know that
Spoiler alert
prison-rape
[close]
in mens prisons is a tired and weary comedy trope. If there's supposed to be genuine pathos involved I think it's at best extremely misguided to shift from funny owl and cat having a toss-up to this.

Even at the best of times it's a topic that should be touched on only with extraordinary care and sensitivity. For my part, I think the vast majority of depictions are extremely exploitative and unnecessary.

Yeah I know all of Megg and Mogg is a bit rum and that's part of it, but it just kind of feels like the South Park defence where their fans waive away any crit. Ya know "they make fun of everyone so it's ok" kinda thing?

Pink Gregory

Obviously it is a nasty trope; but I think Jones kind of being more concerned about the election is funny, but the last few panels...bit misjudged.

Again I think this is something that one might be able to take a little easier if it wasn't serialised, but even in a shitty-people-doing-shitty-things comic the tone's more than a bit off suddenly.

chveik

Simon clearly struggles to adjust his characters' moral world to real world events. but it's no excuse here, the counting the votes/counting the rapes 'joke' is just edgelord shite

Mister Six

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on November 14, 2020, 02:04:17 PM
I wonder why Hanselmann gets a bit of a free pass for some of these jokes tho. I can't see any humour whatsoever in
Spoiler alert
prison rape
[close]
yeesh

The humour is supposed to come from WWJ's blasé attitude to getting pimped out.

The line about "Block C black supremacists" got a big laugh out of me. I like surprise mirrored dialogue. But I can understand why this strip would be uncomfortable for many.

garbed_attic

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on November 14, 2020, 02:18:25 PM
What is the particular justification for including a sudden
Spoiler alert
rape side-plot
[close]
? Regarding it not intending to be funny, I think we all know that
Spoiler alert
prison-rape
[close]
in mens prisons is a tired and weary comedy trope. If there's supposed to be genuine pathos involved I think it's at best extremely misguided to shift from funny owl and cat having a toss-up to this.

Even at the best of times it's a topic that should be touched on only with extraordinary care and sensitivity. For my part, I think the vast majority of depictions are extremely exploitative and unnecessary.

Yeah I know all of Megg and Mogg is a bit rum and that's part of it, but it just kind of feels like the South Park defence where their fans waive away any crit. Ya know "they make fun of everyone so it's ok" kinda thing?

That's fair. In terms of tonal shifts, Hanselmann's done it previously with Megg's mother recounting her rape, but that was more clearly not intended to be humerous.

Mister Six

And Jaxon being suicidal. It doesn't seem massively out of character for the strip at all.

idunnosomename

yeah prison rape jokes are usually hacky and horrible but this is a character who's been taking it up the ass for the best part of the run. this is kinda subverting the trope in that it's a chore for him rather than humiliation

GoblinAhFuckScary

Rape jokes still absolutely not justifiably funny wether it's subverting our expectations or not.

Mister Six

I disagree, but obviously your mileage varies.

13 schoolyards

When Hanselmann's work first started getting attention he was a bit ahead of the curve in that he was doing comedy about nasty stuff where he treated his characters with compassion as messed up individuals rather than just "shock" sitcom comedy monsters. I suspect that's where a lot of his fans goodwill comes from regarding this kind of material - he's seen as a safe pair of hands who (usually) doesn't do it without showing consequences. On the whole, he knows the moral weight his characters actions have.

That said, that was a good half decade ago - comedy has caught up to the idea of treating characters with respect but has increasingly #cancelled doing cringey or triggering material. I suspect in a lot of ways Crisis Zone is a last hurrah for this kind of material from him, in that Bad Gateway was definitely taking things in a new direction before Covid hit.

Quote from: 13 schoolyards on November 15, 2020, 11:43:20 AM
I suspect in a lot of ways Crisis Zone is a last hurrah for this kind of material from him, in that Bad Gateway was definitely taking things in a new direction before Covid hit.
MM&O, according to Hanselmann, is based on his and his friends' experiences in the drug and noise music scene of Tasmania. His own mother dealt drugs during his childhood and he's talked in interviews about Megg being based on him/the character he most identifies with. Obviously he's out of that now, so it's not surprising that he's building up to Megg finally confronting her past and why she is the way she is (as teased at the end of Bad Gateway).

idunnosomename

last one is perfect. i miss solidarity of total lockdown too. though at least my face isn't fucked up

boki

I think I could've quite happily gone through life without seeing Owl's knob 'n' knot.  Hope it goes well for him, though.

Pink Gregory

Love that there's no questioning of the Phantom of the Opera mask

The Mollusk

I'm enjoying the gradual slowing pace of this, winding down from the frantic intoxicating horror of the last few months into a grim reality-facing hangover.

Oh wow these last few strips

Desi saying "yes please" after a few hours of being treated like a normal child

then Susan showing up, taunting Owl "Oh what are you going to do, hit a woman?" then Jen steps forward XD

Spoiler alert
then it turns out Susan's also a drugwolf
[close]

I know they'd never be able to keep the kids, and it's hardly an ideal environment with Owl's Onlyfans and Megg and Mogg being massive potheads, but I still wish they could.

idunnosomename

still keeping up the surprises and the arcs, though looks we're in for another Big Fight. It's like the Frieza Saga!

Mister Six

You reckon Jenn's finally going to do some magic?

Fucking love this. Bounced it over to a friend of mine who I somehow failed to tell about this before. What a treat he has in store!

MojoJojo

Is it weird how Hanselmann is quite happy to put a shit arsehole centre frame, but then has Megg carefully arrange her hair so it covers her nipples.

Probably not weird, thinking about it. It's supposed to be disgusting, not titillating.

Wet Blanket

Quote from: MojoJojo on November 30, 2020, 11:44:53 AM
Is it weird how Hanselmann is quite happy to put a shit arsehole centre frame, but then has Megg carefully arrange her hair so it covers her nipples.

Probably not weird, thinking about it. It's supposed to be disgusting, not titillating.

Reckon that's probably to account for Insta's strict no nipples rule. He still seems to be allowed to have her with her bush out (and in one memorable recent story, with a massive cock)

Mister Six

Yeah the series has been pretty explicit in terms of, you know, erect cocks and dildos and gaping anuses. Unless Insta's rules are stupidly specific and he's darting through a loophole, I think it's probably more of an artistic decision.

Mister Six

Just occurred to me that Trump might pardon Werewolf Jones.

In the comic, too.