Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:24:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Megg Mogg & Owl in Quarantine

Started by DocDaneeka, March 27, 2020, 04:33:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boki

Owl being condescending just as Megg starts to show some self-awareness and humility, I'm sure it'll be fine.

idunnosomename

wonder if he's pushing for a wrap-up at the end of 2020? seems that way. been a great ride though

imitationleather

Yeah I think it's ending pretty soon now.

Pretty amazing achievement all round.

GoblinAhFuckScary

...don't tell me this is going to end like the vintage xmas comic

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

13 schoolyards

Either that or WWJ sneaks in at night and steals his kids back, Owl somehow loses the house, Megg goes off to visit her mum and the previous continuity is restored / linked back up to. Which seems unlikely, but that recent bit with Megg's mum seemed like a reminder that all that Bad Gateway stuff is still out there

Oh God please just end it here with Jack calling Owl "Dad" please please

garbed_attic

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on December 20, 2020, 10:16:13 AM
Oh God please just end it here with Jack calling Owl "Dad" please please

I thought he looked pretty mad about it!

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: gout_pony on December 20, 2020, 10:19:42 AM
I thought he looked pretty mad about it!

Can't tell if it's anger or concern or tenderness or what.

I don't mean to be overly sentimental but god do i want this to be the final panel

PlanktonSideburns

same, this is like penultimate episode of twin peaks

Mister Six

Quote from: 13 schoolyards on December 20, 2020, 07:49:38 AM
Either that or WWJ sneaks in at night and steals his kids back, Owl somehow loses the house, Megg goes off to visit her mum and the previous continuity is restored / linked back up to. Which seems unlikely, but that recent bit with Megg's mum seemed like a reminder that all that Bad Gateway stuff is still out there

Someone asked on this latest post about WWJ killing himself on Christmas 2017 and Hanselmann replied: "That's in the regular timeline. This is the alternate covid-timeline. No less real! Perhaps MORE real..."

idunnosomename

owl is a landlord who immediately evicted his tenants, this is already the worst ending

Lots of commenters over on Instagram reckon
Spoiler alert
Jones' death and funeral is an elaborate fake-out. I really hope it isn't. It would be cheap to have him suddenly jump out all SURPRISE FUCKOS IT WAS A ROBOT or whatever. Plus he was always gonna die eventually, per Hanselmann. Thoughts?
[close]

samadriel

I'm partway through Bad Gateway now, and man is it bleak compared to Crisis Zone; where in CZ you have something wacky like turds slipping out of WWJ's arse in the jacuzzi 'cos he's such an Anus King, or the kids building a disgusting multi-storey hotel, BG is never that heightened, employing a slow, melancholy pace. I wonder how much of it is Hanselman's changing mood, and how much is the demands of pacing an Insta comic. There's no room in CZ for the excruciating pace of Megg waiting at the welfare office, after all. Maybe CZ will change Hanselman' s tone permanently; I hope not though, even if the rapid yuks of CZ are legitimate and enjoyable. (Edit: such a delineation between the tones of his long form and short form media isn't hard and fast, as the most recent CZ strips show. Although, even if Hanselman has upped the bleakness, the pace is still pretty snappy).

Consignia

Have you read any other compilations? Crisis Zone is most broad in terms of humour, but "In Amsterdam" and "One More Year" are more comical than "Bad Gateway" and "Megahex" (I assume, I've not read it). I think Hanselmann is quite good compartmentalising the two styles both the bleakness off the main canon story and the more comical episodic comics.

Mister Six

Quote from: samadriel on December 22, 2020, 02:11:13 PM
I'm partway through Bad Gateway now, and man is it bleak compared to Crisis Zone; where in CZ you have something wacky

Exactly why I got into CZ but struggled with the Megg and Mogg books I've looked at before (although I do plan to sit down and take a proper crack at then when the libraries open again). I think also things were so stressful and odd at the beginning of the pandemic that disgusting hijinks were a necessary distraction. The times are still awful now, of course, but with the vaccines emerging and people used to the weird new status quo, there's more room for gloom in the strip.

frajer

Only got into Megg, Mogg & Owl this year and picked up all the available trades in the Fantagraphic comixology sale. Absolutely love them, although I agree that the pervasive dread can unsettle my brain if I'm in the wrong mood. Megg's relationship with her Mum gives me guilt in a way that I'm a bit scared to explore.

I've been really enjoying the Quarantine comics and Christ the rate and quality of outputs is impressive, isn't it. Got Seeds & Stems arriving for Christmas as my first physical copy of their misadventures.

Can't remember which book it's collected in but Werewolf Jones disguising himself as an arcade machine to get wanked off (specifically the silent panel before the final "Game Over" panel) is the hardest I've laughed in 2020.

Pink Gregory

Since Seeds and Stems is a collection of zines, can it be read out of sequence with the others?

madhair60

Quote from: frajer on December 22, 2020, 04:34:55 PM
Can't remember which book it's collected in but Werewolf Jones disguising himself as an arcade machine to get wanked off (specifically the silent panel before the final "Game Over" panel) is the hardest I've laughed in 2020.

Bad Gateway

Quote from: Pink Gregory on December 22, 2020, 05:55:27 PM
Since Seeds and Stems is a collection of zines, can it be read out of sequence with the others?
Yeah I reckon so. I'm another newcomer to Megg Mogg and Owl for what it's worth. Seeds and Stems includes strips from the Werewolf Jones and Sons zines and gives some  background for the Jones family dynamics which I really enjoyed.

Quote from: frajer on December 22, 2020, 04:34:55 PM
My favourite is a strip from Megahex[?] where Megg and Mogg rob a deli store and end up with lemons, bottled water, boxes of "the bad Skittles" and a ball of mystery meat because it was dark and Mogg just grabbed. Then they get paranoid about the cops coming and bury all the stuff in the woods, but that's not enough so the next morning they hatch an ingenious scheme to go to the deli and buy everything they stole so the cops will never suspect that it was them.

13 schoolyards

Quote from: Pink Gregory on December 22, 2020, 05:55:27 PM

Definitely - a fair chunk of it is out of continuity (or alt-continuity), though a few bits that seemed like throwaway jokes at the time have gradually become central. Even WWJ's kids were initially introduced as kind of a one-off joke ("ha ha, this degenerate has kids") and it's only been relatively recently that they've developed their own distinct personalities.

It'll definitely be interesting to see how Crisis Zone affects Hanselmann's work going forward. It's seemed like he wanted to make a hard turn into more serious stuff pretty much from the moment he got a book deal (the first couple of chapters of the original version of Bad Gateway, Megg's Coven, appeared in an Australian comic magazine around that time) but the wacky comedy stuff was clearly super popular and he was smart enough to run with that for a few more books.

I suspect even if he does go back to the Bad Gateway approach and storyline, he'll still do more comedic side projects (even just more zines) to keep the comedy fans on board.

*edit* And it's over!

idunnosomename

Almost didnt bother checking insta today. Some nice admissions here about the run...

QuoteThanks for all the kind words. I've enjoyed doing Crisis Zone for you this year (even though some days it felt like an immense, exhausting burden). I set out in mid-March to provide some free entertainment for the terrified masses and hopefully help relieve some of the anxiety and horror going around. Originally it was going to run for around a month and maybe be printed as a zine... I became addicted to it and couldn't stop... probably should have stopped months ago... ANYWAY, the book comes out August 10th from @fantagraphics (English version), will also be coming out in Spanish, French, Swedish, Italian and more languages. Book will include at least 500 additional panels, a director's commentary, character follow-ups etc... (preorders through Fantagraphics will net you a special Crisis Zone calendar for 2022). No rest for the wicked, I'll be continuing to work my ass off on this project over the next 6 weeks, gotta make the book fancy, if you are able to I hope you'll consider picking up a copy for your rumpus room or bomb shelter. Thanks again for all the kind words, the criticism, the moaning, the threats... all of it. May your 2021 be tolerable! Good luck! 🖤🎲🎲🎭<|:-)

imitationleather

I'm a bit sad I won't be able to check this daily anymore. It was really great to have as a constant through these strange months.

Pink Gregory

Got Megahex for xmas, ordered One More Year and gonna pick up Seeds and Stems when I can.  Gonna wait until I've read the first two before embarking on Bad Gateway.

samadriel

In Amsterdam came out before Bad Gateway too.

Pink Gregory

True, but I want to get Seeds and Stems before it's difficult to find.  Though is Hanselmann popular enough for that not to happen?

I got all five of the collected books (Megahex, Amsterdam, One More Year, Bad Gateway and Seeds and Stems) on Kindle because I didn't want to pay the exorbitant shipping costs. I imagine the e-books will be available even if physical copies aren't.

Pink Gregory

Got a copy of Megg and Mogg in Amsterdam via Amazon from a comic shop in Paris (I *think* it's in English), last copy apparently.

Gonna snap up Bad Gateway and Seeds & Stems at the earliest opportunity.  And this is off how much I loved following Crisis Zone and...this thread.

I don't have a great phone or an e-reader, but Waterstones and Wordery seem to have them at normal prices (for UK comic hardbacks).  Fuck it, might do it now, try to stop me.