Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:16:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Megg Mogg & Owl in Quarantine

Started by DocDaneeka, March 27, 2020, 04:33:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wet Blanket

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on December 27, 2020, 01:08:44 PM
I got all five of the collected books (Megahex, Amsterdam, One More Year, Bad Gateway and Seeds and Stems) on Kindle because I didn't want to pay the exorbitant shipping costs. I imagine the e-books will be available even if physical copies aren't.

You can get them in the UK off Amazon or wherever for about 15 quid. You don't really need to import the American editions. I picked up One More Year from a comic shop in Brighton

Pink Gregory

Read Megahex through to Bad Gateway, waiting on Seeds and Stems.

Predictable opinion - Megg and her mum is heartbreaking.

frajer

Quote from: Pink Gregory on January 07, 2021, 11:22:02 AM
Read Megahex through to Bad Gateway, waiting on Seeds and Stems.

Predictable opinion - Megg and her mum is heartbreaking.

Oof yeah. Even though the dynamic with me own mum is nothing like Megg's, reading those sections leave me queasy, and make me feel guilty that I should somehow be better at communicating with mine. Raw and powerful stuff.

Pink Gregory

They're just all really disappointing people.  Obviously Mogg is hateful but when he tries to get a job even for a second, you cheer for him.  Even Jones tries to get clean for a second.  Owl is an interesting one because you lose sympathy over time, not necessarily for his behaviour but him also sort of blaming his shitty friends for his own failures - though they are responsible for a few of them.

13 schoolyards

In Megahex Owl has a fairly straightforward arc - he's crap and has issues, but isn't quite as crap as everyone else so the ending is a bit of a feel-good moment for him. But once you get into the rest of the series, Owl gradually becomes (IMHO) the worst of the lot.

Everyone else has their moments of self-awareness and their (brief, pathetic) attempts to redeem themselves, but Owl's just consistently a bit of a smug shit who is never quite as righteous and well-meaning as he thinks he is. Everyone else has their moments of doubt that make them people you hope can improve, but Owl is always going to be Owl.

I never got this "Owl is the worst" line of thinking. Sure, he's smug and condescending, but they've cost him jobs, fucked up his stuff, fucked up his dates, got him arrested, seriously injured him and they even raped him on his birthday, yet still he puts up with their shit and bails them out of their mess.

Nothing Owl has ever done is remotely as bad as what the others are capable of. His biggest crime is that he hasn't permanently left them, but that's not an unusual trait for abuse victims.

chveik

some people prefer to root for the pieces of shit than the flawed individuals

Pink Gregory

He's not the worst, but maybe the least likeable, by the end.  Or maybe even the most pitiable; it'll depend what he's been doing during Bad Gateway. 

Likeable is maybe the wrong word, most frustrating?  I suppose that's his arc; he's the most able to get away from that shitty life, and yet he persists, but then he does eventually leave.

It's sort of odd reading Megahex, where he does leave, and then Amsterdam and One More Year *sort of* happening in between? 

GoblinAhFuckScary

I'm in Team Owl. It's like being in Team Edward

13 schoolyards

I'd say Owl's the worst (though "worst" is probably not the right word) because there's no real hope for change. Everyone else does horrible things then occasionally expresses some minor regret; Owl never does anything *that* bad, but he never realises he's not perfect either. Over the run of the series, that gradually wore me down.

If Owl's not the worst, is he the best? Or is that Megg? Booger?

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

I think the reason for the Owl-hate is similar to the reason some people really hated Diane in BoJack Horseman. People feel like Owl "should" be better than he is. He's the most functional of the trio - he holds down a job, cares whether the house is clean, he does far fewer drugs than Megg and Mogg. He should've left that pit of horrible a long time ago. Instead he hung around for almost a decade after high school, perhaps because he has a crush on Megg still, but in my opinion because living with two huge drug addicts allows him to indulge his own cravings while handily blaming them when the shit hits the fan. Owl, you know you have to be up early for your new job working for your dad's golfing buddy, WHY are you doing ketamine with the two stoners?! You're the only one who cares about bettering himself so what the hell?

Megg didn't have much of a chance in life, her mother dealt drugs out of the house while she was a kid (something nobody would do if they had a decent income), and Mogg is quite content to leech off his parents. The bar is much lower for them because realistically, what can you expect from them? Owl is capable of better behaviour and of escaping Drug World, and so people shit on him harder.

Pink Gregory

He's watching Fist of Fun while scanning in all the pages of Crisis Zone!

Artie Fufkin

Just got Seeds & Stems this morning.
Need to read Bad Gateway & One More Year yet. Must get around to that. They've been on my 'to read pile' for ages.

Pink Gregory

The Australia strip from Seeds and Stems slayed me.

"Bit of a poof, but a sick cunt"

13 schoolyards

Seems he's expecting his first child later this year (congrats), which might cut into his insane levels of productivity a little.

garbed_attic

Most recent Instagram post reveals more of Simon's excellent comedy tastes... So far spotted:

The Armando Iannucci Shows
Brass Eye
Knowing Me, Knowing You
I'm Alan Partridge (series one and two)
Jam
Nathan Barley
Kids in the Hall
Mr. Show
Strangers with Candy
Wonder Showzen

13 schoolyards

Just read a recent fanzine interview with Hanselmann where it sounds like he's been going asbsolutely mental with the extras for the book version of Crisis Zone (also, if you order it direct from Fantagraphics and can stomach the massive postage you'll get a free 2022 calendar).

It also sounds like he's a bit over the planned direction for Megg's Coven - he calls Bad Gateway "boring" (then takes it back) and says he's not really sure about going all serious and dark after a year of piss-farting around on instagram.

idunnosomename

feel like pure shit just want anus king back

Pink Gregory

Mister Six

Forked out for the book. Every time I think of the strip I am delighted all over again, so I really should give Simon some cash as a thank you. Also looking forward to lending it to some pals whom I know will love it but will never bother rooting through Instagram to catch up.

boki

Simon's recommenced posting regular strips on Instagram.  This time it's a colourised version of the Below Ambition zine and it's currently 9 pages in out of 32.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Yaaay!

Quote from: 13 schoolyards on March 06, 2021, 04:21:50 AM
It also sounds like he's a bit over the planned direction for Megg's Coven - he calls Bad Gateway "boring" (then takes it back) and says he's not really sure about going all serious and dark after a year of piss-farting around on instagram.

He could always do non-canon strips or more strips set before the end of Megahex. Anyway I don't care I'll read em.

idunnosomename

up for a big award

the voting is done by comic industry professionals (including publishers, librarians, retailers etc). I mean regardless that series of strips last year was one of the most amazing things I've witnessed online. all it was missing was Owl giving a nod to the cookdandbombd forum. hopefully will come in print version.

EH OWL?!?!

imitationleather

The Glinner bit surely was a nod by proxy.

But if CaB did ever get a specific mention I could go to my grave even happier than I currently would right now.

touchingcloth

Now that I've created an Instagram account solely for reading these (thanks!), how do I go about sorting posts old to new and/or filtering on a time range. I've tried going back to the start of quarantine and it's an absolute nightmare of scrolling - my thumb is rubbed raw

Pink Gregory

Looks like Crisis Zone and Seeds and Stems won big at the Eisner's, and none more deserving

samadriel

Quote from: touchingcloth on July 24, 2021, 10:59:54 AM
Now that I've created an Instagram account solely for reading these (thanks!), how do I go about sorting posts old to new and/or filtering on a time range. I've tried going back to the start of quarantine and it's an absolute nightmare of scrolling - my thumb is rubbed raw

Instagram has been getting worse and worse in regards to chronological reading order - CZ was easy to read at the time, but I think the best way to experience it now would be getting it in print.

MojoJojo

I think the owl hate is because his shitiness is a lot more relatable than the others. Having crap friends who abuse you, or getting high when you have work in the morning are things most people have done and feel bad about. I don't think many people have lingering guilt about doing stuff that WWJ has done.

Another way of putting it is Owl is a somewhat realistic character, while the others are cartoons - and like violence, realism makes it more upsetting.

The Mollusk

Owl is a fucking glutton for getting treated like shit, especially from Megg.

Pink Gregory

You have to wonder at the reasons for Owl never learning that his 'friends' just aren't compatible with the life that he seems to aspire to (which also doesn't fit him because everybody hates him there, too); maybe he realises that he can at least morally be king of the ashes with his high school friends or flounder in the real world.

I suppose he doesn't account for Jones; I know Crisis Zone is sort of a parallel timeline but it's nice that he finds a bit of purpose taking care of Jaxon and Desi.

That was prosaic.  BOSTON CLANGER BOSTON CLANGER BOSTON CLANGER