Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 10:47:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Megg Mogg & Owl in Quarantine

Started by DocDaneeka, March 27, 2020, 04:33:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

13 schoolyards

I figured the in-universe reasons for Owl hanging around past his use-by date were a): drugs and b): Megg. That early story where M&M get Owl plastered and take him down the video library to yell at people made it clear he had issues too, though that side of him seems to have faded in recent stories.

It always felt like their share house had the vibe of a bunch of high school or uni mates in their first place gradually realising they didn't have much in common any more but couldn't be arsed / couldn't figure out how to move on.

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on January 07, 2021, 02:24:31 PM
I never got this "Owl is the worst" line of thinking. Sure, he's smug and condescending, but they've cost him jobs, fucked up his stuff, fucked up his dates, got him arrested, seriously injured him and they even raped him on his birthday, yet still he puts up with their shit and bails them out of their mess.

Nothing Owl has ever done is remotely as bad as what the others are capable of. His biggest crime is that he hasn't permanently left them, but that's not an unusual trait for abuse victims.

I've been enjoying the "reruns" Hanselman is posting in serial form on his Instagram, and it's very interesting to see the comments for each post comprised mostly of how terrible megg and mogg are, why hasn't owl moved out or killed them yet etc

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

I think Owl stays partially because living with two stoners who do nothing all day except badger him into doing drugs gives him someone to blame for his own drug abuse. The strip where he gets a job managing a store for his dad's friend is a good example. He knows he starts a responsible job working for someone who knows his family the next morning, and yet he stays up doing ketamine with very little persuasion from the others. If he hadn't, he wouldn't have been in the bathroom pissing uncontrollably while the other three wrecked the shop. Yet typically, he blames them for the fallout.

Mister Six

Mine arrived too, but sadly it's in NYC and I'm in the UK until October (possibly longer, if Delta gets worse).

Christ, I'd love for Simon to do more, but where do you go from that ending?

Harry Badger

Just a quick one to say that I'm not really into comics but thanks to this thread got into Crisis Zone whcih was fucking mental and hilarious and am now enjoying the fuck out of the old strips on Insta. Christmas presents sorted (for certain friends anyway).

chveik

Quote from: Mister Six on August 03, 2021, 10:27:09 PM

well there is another timeline

13 schoolyards

My copy also arrived today, which is pretty impressive considering I'm in Australia (the "also" part, not the being in Australia part)

Really looking forward to digging into the commentary up the back, the one he did for Truth Zone was great stuff

Quote from: Mister Six on August 03, 2021, 10:27:09 PM
Mine arrived too, but sadly it's in NYC and I'm in the UK until October (possibly longer, if Delta gets worse).

The book itself now has a "where are they now" section at the end, plus (not exactly a spoiler but)
Spoiler alert
the calendar that comes with pre-orders shows what happens to some of the cast moving forward
[close]

Quote from: 13 schoolyards on August 04, 2021, 11:17:21 AM
My copy also arrived today, which is pretty impressive considering I'm in Australia (the "also" part, not the being in Australia part)

Really looking forward to digging into the commentary up the back, the one he did for Truth Zone was great stuff

The book itself now has a "where are they now" section at the end, plus (not exactly a spoiler but)
Spoiler alert
the calendar that comes with pre-orders shows what happens to some of the cast moving forward
[close]

Spoiler alert
Jack gets so tall!
[close]

Custard

Yeah, the book just got lobbed on Comixology too. That's tonight sorted!

GoblinAhFuckScary

pleased that owl is getting vindicated with the recent repeats on insta

Custard

Forgot about the short and savage swipe at Glinner in the new book. Hehe love it

The funeral seems less of a slog in book form. If anything,
Spoiler alert
the fight between Jones and Dracula Junior
[close]
is almost too short.

Custard

As much as I love this series, I do have to admit that WWJ was really starting to wear on me towards the end. I understand why most of the focus was on him, but it was relentless. It did make me start to miss the simpler days of Megg, Mogg and Owl annoying each other and getting high

That said, it was still a fantastic achievement, and will always be the best thing to come out of this Covid malarkey

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: Shameless Custard on August 17, 2021, 02:21:00 PM
As much as I love this series, I do have to admit that WWJ was really starting to wear on me towards the end.

crisis zone really is the werewolf jones & owl show

Custard

Yeah, and that's fair enough. But for me it's like if Super Hans suddenly started being the main focus of Peep Show. Like WWJ, I love him as a really OTT side character, and he's a definite highlight when he turns up, but when it's all the time, for me it got a bit much

Probably doesn't help that I reread the entire thing over two nights!

13 schoolyards

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on August 17, 2021, 02:30:46 PM
crisis zone really is the werewolf jones & owl show

It felt to me like Megg was being sidelined a bit because her current status (even though this is a different timeline) was a little too serious for the wacky hijinx that powered Crisis Zone.

It's interesting the way that Jaxon and Diesel have really gone from a comedy device (can you believe WWJ has kids?!?) to well-rounded characters in their own right. Whenever we get around to seeing WWJ's "real" death, it's going to be a lot grimmer than the original for that alone.

Pink Gregory

In Seeds and Stems you see a bit more of Jaxon and Diesel and tthe Jones family dynamic.

Little Jaxon wishing Daddy would die of cancer and then he'd have a sandwich with no mould.

Quote from: Pink Gregory on August 18, 2021, 12:31:53 PM
In Seeds and Stems you see a bit more of Jaxon and Diesel and tthe Jones family dynamic.

Little Jaxon wishing Daddy would die of cancer and then he'd have a sandwich with no mould.
Seeds and Stems definitely gave me a lot more context for Jaxon/Jack when reading Crisis Zone. Diesel/Desi too. It's clear they're the golden child and Jaxon is the scapegoat.

Pink Gregory

Impressed that the director's commentary is all handwritten.  Not impressed by some of his opinions but them's the breaks, I'm not a serialised cartoonist reading the comments.

It's a beautiful volume.

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: Pink Gregory on September 01, 2021, 08:35:26 PM
Impressed that the director's commentary is all handwritten.  Not impressed by some of his opinions but them's the breaks,

how so?

Pink Gregory

Just one of those 'I hate the extreme right AND the extreme left' types.  Granted he got a bunch of weird pseudo-virtuous types in the comments misunderstanding the nature of the comic and trying to lead a pile on, but it's fine, he's entitled to his opinions, and I didn't have to deal with it, things are different in the US etc etc

Just made me roll my eyes a bit.
Still disappoints me a bit, but that's normal.

It's nice to hear his thoughts on writing trans characters for 10+ years, how much of it is basically autobiographi cal, his wife getting pregnant; it's surprisingly candid.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on August 18, 2021, 07:05:32 PM
Seeds and Stems definitely gave me a lot more context for Jaxon/Jack when reading Crisis Zone. Diesel/Desi too. It's clear they're the golden child and Jaxon is the scapegoat.

Jaxon - are we doing to die, daddy?
WWJ - if we are, I'll see you in hell!

13 schoolyards

Quote from: Pink Gregory on September 01, 2021, 09:19:35 PM
Just one of those 'I hate the extreme right AND the extreme left' types.  Granted he got a bunch of weird pseudo-virtuous types in the comments misunderstanding the nature of the comic and trying to lead a pile on, but it's fine, he's entitled to his opinions, and I didn't have to deal with it, things are different in the US etc etc

Just made me roll my eyes a bit.
Still disappoints me a bit, but that's normal.

It's nice to hear his thoughts on writing trans characters for 10+ years, how much of it is basically autobiographi cal, his wife getting pregnant; it's surprisingly candid.

I though he was putting a bit of that on for comedic effect, but yeah, it's easy to forget he's from the comedy generation before the current one.

Well, not so much after you read the bit where he says he used to reference the Simpsons as a marketing angle but he recently realised that for anyone under 30 "The Simpsons" is garbage.

Hanselmann put all of Bad Gateway up on his Insta (if you haven't read it yet) and says that he'll be posting the next book, "Megg's Coven", chapter by chapter online.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CUI3rp5hazZ/

Pink Gregory

New Horse Mania series coming too

"Dog cunts?  THE Cunts?"

Pink Gregory

Read a bit more of Crisis Zone and had a lovely time remembering all of WWJ's odd little neologisms - 'Hotty pocs', 'Donny's', 'Popity corn'

Pink Gregory

Enjoyed terrifying noodle-limbed Jaxon in the epilogue.