Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:42:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Megg Mogg & Owl in Quarantine

Started by DocDaneeka, March 27, 2020, 04:33:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuellar

Just powered through all the covid posts - I'm heavily invested now. These are brilliant.

idunnosomename

i mean i love how it goes from that sort of thing to the genuinely touching moment of Owl saving suicidal Jaxon. a rollercoaster

idunnosomename

piece in NY review of books tomorrow (14th May). i thought maybe an ATHENS/shibb login might've worked to get full text of this but i cant find a way to even try. anyway. cool stuff.

https://www.nybooks.com/articles/2020/05/14/simon-hanselmann-witch-demons/

idunnosomename

oh jesus fuck

https://www.instagram.com/p/CAJVsebDWUR/

now i feel concerned for werewolf jones more than owl even though the latter is
Spoiler alert
both ending
[close]

Mister Six

God, I only just got the full Heisenberg comparison, with Covid-19 replacing cancer. This is brilliant. Glad he's not focusing on Megg's misery too much, or at least for too long.

imitationleather

I've got a copy of Megahex dropping through my postbox tomorrow!

Get a load of me, buying books. Since when was I so grown up?!

Dewt

I ordered One More Year the other day. I am not sure if it was the right one to buy but it looked like a lot of content and includes some older stuff...? It's fine if I am wrong, I will learn

imitationleather

I've no idea. I just bought Megahex because it was the first one and I reckoned that if the quality is anywhere near as good as the quarantine strips I'll be buying them all eventually.

chveik

I think the order is Megahex, Megg & Mogg in Amsterdam, One More Year, Bad Gateway

Dewt

Chronological order or quality order? I don't care too much about chronological.

chveik

Quote from: Dewt on May 15, 2020, 08:13:44 PM
Chronological order or quality order? I don't care too much about chronological.

chronological. I haven't witnessed any dip in quality

madhair60

You can read them in basically any order and it's fine

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

why am I only finding out about this strip now

I love stupid high shitbags living in squalor and being outrageous

one_sharper

Loving these. Only read Megahex previously but definitely need to catch up with the rest now. Just noticed Comixology have an anthology listed which is due out in August. https://www.comixology.co.uk/Seeds-and-Stems/digital-comic/818063

Bought Megahex for the Kindle just now (cos I'm not waiting a month and paying a fortune in shipping) and I'm loving it.

samadriel

Fantagraphics' shipping costs are simply incredible; god bless digital comics.

I've got one or two of the comics that will probably be in Seeds and Stems, it'll be nice to have them all in one volume.

...goddamn it I'm going to have to buy the rest of this collection when I get my holiday refund, aren't I.

...yep I'm definitely buying the rest of these. The storyline where Megg and Mogg break into a deli, panic, bury the food, then go back and buy the same food they robbed in case the police are onto them absolutely cracked me up.

Consignia

Yes, just got One More Year and Bad Gateway in the post. Looking forward to some non-COVID related debauchery from the gang.

idunnosomename

this has scraped the barrel of seedy, kicked it through and found another barrel to be seedy in. incredible

Showed the quarantine strips to a friend of mine.

"Dying. But can I just... someone sat in their house. Thought of all this. And drew it in colour. Colouring pencils. I'm dying"

dannyfc

Love this - would never have normally grabbed my interest but ive now smashed though every comic that's digitally available in a day. Cheers!

Are there any similar authors I should check out? I know absolutely nothing of comics or graphic novels.

Quote from: chveik on May 15, 2020, 08:01:13 PM
I think the order is Megahex, Megg & Mogg in Amsterdam, One More Year, Bad Gateway

Noticed online there's plenty of other previously published comics referenced that don't seem purchasable either digitally or via a physical copy. For instance; Werewolves Jones & Sons.

Is this intentional like how musicians will do limited vinyl presses? It's a shame as I'm really keen to pay for anything else in the collection.

My favourite panel is when Jones is locked in the bathroom with the kids in the car and the gang think he's OD'd, in reality he's just so supremely high he's not able to move before jumping up and sauntering off.

Also I back whoever stated Owl is a bad person, guys a snake with a false sense of superiority.

I'm after reading all four books now and found Bad Gateway surprisingly moving. Can't wait for Seeds and Stems.

I feel like Owl is his own worst enemy and should have moved out of that pit of horrible long ago. Like dude you can hold down a job, why are you hanging out with these druggies? Just because you knew them in high school? You know you have work, why are you doing ketamine at 6am?

If Owl was a pure and good soul it wouldn't be funny though. They're all low-key horrible so it's okay to laugh at their misfortunes. Except for Jaxon in the quarantine storyline. Sweet baby Jaxon.

chveik

Quote from: dannyfc on May 22, 2020, 06:59:39 PM
Noticed online there's plenty of other previously published comics referenced that don't seem purchasable either digitally or via a physical copy. For instance; Werewolves Jones & Sons.

most of them are included in the big collections. I assume the rest will be in Seeds and Stems

Mister Six

Little glimpse of the Big Train DVD in Simon's Instagram story today. I wondered whether that was a way to big up Arthur Matthews and give two finger up to Glinner until I realised that Glinner also wrote it, per this amusing edit on Wikipedia:

QuoteBig Train is a surreal British television comedy sketch show created by Arthur Mathews and Twitter-user Graham Linehan

Also just occurred to me that Linehan's little cough when he was being interviewed by WWJ was probably Hanselmann slyly giving him Covid-19.

Quote from: chveik on May 22, 2020, 07:38:55 PM
most of them are included in the big collections. I assume the rest will be in Seeds and Stems
Preordered it just now!

Description of Seeds and Stems:
Quote from: AmazonIn 2016, Hanselmann began producing Xeroxed zines starring the depressive Megg (a green-skinned witch), her abusive boyfriend Mogg (an actual cat), their submissive roommate Owl (a vaguely humanoid owl), and the self-destructively hedonistic Werewolf Jones (half human, half wolf) in print runs of 300 to 500 copies, with hand-painted covers, custom stamps and hologram security stickers. Seeds and Stems collects all of these out-of-print, self-published stories produced by the artist between 2016-2019, along with a generous smattering of rarities from various anthologies and magazines.

idunnosomename

oh fucking hell. new one out and you thought it was dark before

you aint seen nothin yet

Mister Six

Who is Ian? He was said to have died in the fire with Dracula Jr Jr, but I didn't see him and Google isn't helping.

Consignia

Quote from: Mister Six on May 22, 2020, 11:59:05 PM
Who is Ian? He was said to have died in the fire with Dracula Jr Jr, but I didn't see him and Google isn't helping.

Ian? The Bear. WWJ's fucking fuck buddy.

RIP Ian.

samadriel

Such hard yards in this project! If it was left to me to draw it, I'd still be fiddling with Owl's design sheet, trying not to make him look so wide. Hanselman is a prince!