Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:06:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Friday Night Dinner is back

Started by Fambo Number Mive, March 27, 2020, 07:12:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Utter Shit

Didn't enjoy the first two that much but thought tonight's was great!

Armin Meiwes

Quote from: Utter Shit on April 10, 2020, 11:29:55 PM
Didn't enjoy the first two that much but thought tonight's was great!

Hah funny you say that because I just came in here to say I've just seen the first two eps and on the verge of giving up because thy were UTTER SHIT but I'll stick with it.

Armin Meiwes

Hah hold on now I've clicked back to page 1 and it looks like this is NOT a universal opinion, ah well I'll give it a go anyway.

imitationleather

FWIW I think this series has been utter puddle water.

magval

Quote from: Lemming on April 10, 2020, 10:34:19 PM
No Arm Guy was just thrown in there for virtually no reason other than to disable the car.

Martin introducing his family to them was very funny.

Armin Meiwes

Yeah there were literally no jokes at all, like in the second one.. what even was meant to be funny about the plastic bag thing? And then the "tell your mother you love her", literally a whole episode of just those two things over and over, yeah completely out of ideas sadly.

olliebean

Rather difficult after last night's episode to avoid the elephant in the room, that essentially when it comes to Jim, and now Gibby, we're being invited to laugh at intellectually disabled people because they're weird and creepy and a bit stupid.

vainsharpdad

All humour has a victim, a target or a butt. If we justify tiptoeing around everyone who is a bit weird because they might have Aspergers or something, we might as well stop now.

(And I say that as a bit of a weird guy)

olliebean

It's more than just "might have Aspergers or something," though. Jim is pretty unambiguously intellectually disabled, and the entirety of the comedy in his character derives directly from the way the behaves because of that.

Utter Shit

If being intellectually disabled is the reason he claimed that the thing he left had "rolled" into the next room, then I am comfortable laughing at the intellectually disabled because that was brilliant.

magval

Now, I know where I am - best place on the web for comedy discussion and dissection.

BUT.

I've never felt like this show merited discussion or dissection. I really enjoy watching it but it's completely forgettable, fast food comedy. Surprised to see so much investment from you lot. I don't think I could ever be disappointed by Friday Night Dinner. I'm not saying it's the same-as, or as good-as, Mrs Brown's Boys, but it occupies the same space for me mentally as a thing that's on for half an hour but wouldn't be worthy of, say, a DVD commentary track.

Captain Z

Episode 3 was dreadful, one of the worst episodes of any modern sitcom that I previously have enjoyed. I have a lot of time for Sally Phillips but I think that was a very poorly written character and borderline racist impression of a Swiss person (with a Polish accent).

Was desperately hoping they would at least attempt a small subversion of the silliness with the boys actually finding a marble in the dining room at the end.

PlasticTom

Dogshit episode. It's the show that's made me laugh out loud the most since Grandma's House. I'm even rewatching s5 at the moment and the drop-off from that is shocking. They don't seem to be able to build the tension and the hysteria at all, and the pay-offs are rubbish. The Sally Phillips character was so unfunny, especially when you think about the insane incidental characters that have previously peopled the show. Even chicken man was actually funny, despite being just literally a character trait.

Incidentally, I've got no problem laughing at a mentally disabled man (in a throwaway sitcom) but this is the first time I've felt that Jim had too much screen time. The boys didn't really get anything to do in the episode.

But all that said, the rolling thing was great and Jim rubbing her legs despite not understanding why was the only actual laugh for me.

imitationleather

Quote from: Captain Z on April 11, 2020, 07:19:20 PM
I have a lot of time for Sally Phillips but I think that was a very poorly written character and borderline racist impression of a Swiss person (with a Polish accent).

Everything about it felt like a plot from the 1970s, even down to the dodgy stereotyping of a Swiss person. It just made no sense. I know the show has always done farce and the absurd, but this series I've felt like it's not even taking place on planet Earth anymore.

The sets have been really weird too. When they're in the computer room it looked absolutely huge, but with bare walls at weird angles. Are they just not trying to make it look like a real house now?

Alberon

It has got too broad. Jim and Martin have been Flanderised. Most of all it isn't some simple problem snowballing into absurd chaos, but just wacky stuff that happens.

And Milson isn't a patch on Wilson.

up_the_hampipe

What the fuck was this episode?! Was Robert Popper held at gun point by a child and forced to write this?

Gurke and Hare

I thought it was funny and you're all a bunch of miserable chuffs. I especially liked "I've only got one liver now?"

Bad Ambassador

Jim's sudden dance amused, as it was so unexpected. Martin's casual "Oh, crap" when he sees Jim in the driveway was the only other laugh.

Thosworth

My One Laugh was Tamsin's reaction to "Wasps?"

So it turns out, if you add together everyone's individual laughs it was actually a pretty good episode.

Armin Meiwes

I laughed (once) when Jim went "a pear?" so you can add that one on to the pile.

notjosh

I laughed once this series at "Cholera?".

But I only laugh out loud at TV about once every 6 months so that's a pretty good haul for me.

BritishHobo

My one laugh has been Jim in the back of the car asking if Jackie is in: "In the car?" *pause* "Yeeesss..."

Doesn't really work in text though does it, without his delivery. Ruined.

Armin Meiwes

Basically what we're saying is if they do another series make the whole series and then just edit it down to all the Jim bits and you've got yourself maybe one (?) quite funny episode.

Lemming

I laughed at him ordering "creamy tea" and the hotel staff having no idea what the fuck he meant so just bringing him any old shit, and then him drinking it out of confusion and politeness.

Was thinking that episode three was the weakest yet and maybe the weakest ever in FND but maybe it's some kind of personality test where the one joke you laugh at says something about you.

imitationleather

My one good laugh this series: Jim saying "The water people?!" in a panicked way.

For the last couple of series I've been thinking that the Jim character is becoming very tired and just too self-consciously odd. Now he's the only remotely funny thing in the show.

Alberon

Lemming

That was just well wrong tonally. I like Horrible Grandma and some of her lines were good, as well as the visual of her absolutely fucking demolishing the room and describing it as an accident, but what the fuck. Very weird ending.

Jim's
Spoiler alert
"sorry for killing your mother"
[close]
did get a laugh though. Thought Paul Ritter's performance was top notch as always, but that was sort of a problem - he sold the anger and emotion as being way too believable which sort of unnerved me in a show that's meant to be 20 minutes of laughter.

I wonder if this series was written in a hurry or something. All the plots so far have been meandering and very unfocused.

Alberon

Yeah, something's gone wrong with this series.

magval

Horrible Grandma speaks exactly like the wee old man in The Old Dark House (who was played by a woman, as it happens). It's a very peculiar way of speaking and those are the only two times I've ever heard an accent like that, so I must infer one is based on the other.

I loved her wrecking things and then claiming it was an accident as well.

BritishHobo

Her just out-and-out saying 'your house is crap and your family are crap' came off really weird, even for thst character. And yeah, an episode of Martin talking about his death, and Jackie being angry at him, and then his mum coming in and saying she never gave him presents for his birthday, and then dying? Fuck happened there?