Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:51:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Friday Night Dinner is back

Started by Fambo Number Mive, March 27, 2020, 07:12:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imitationleather

Quote from: the science eel on May 02, 2020, 09:32:05 AM
Anyone else notice how much Jim was different in the second-ever episode? especially his speech?

This jolted me when I rewatched them a while back too. Isn't he trying to get Jackie to sponsor him for something and she keeps putting it off? As I recall he's not wacky or creepy at all, and is portrayed far more as a put upon neighbour-type character.

I assume that episode was the pilot but not broadcast first in the run because of how different it is.

BritishHobo

God, that is weird. Also Martin with a hearing aid. Everything feels ever so slightly off, I guess as you say due to it potentially changing as they all get used to the writing and characters. Watching it now, with the production aswell as the performances, it looks a little bit like a stage play about a family whose father is undergoing a mental breakdown.

thugler

Pretty weak series as a whole, but that last episode was great, some really good martin scenes. Felt like a decent place to end it.

the science eel

As much as I love Simon Bird in this and The Inbetweeners, what else can he do? I mean, apart from posh sarcasm?

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: the science eel on June 04, 2020, 08:52:22 AM
As much as I love Simon Bird in this and The Inbetweeners, what else can he do? I mean, apart from posh sarcasm?
He's just directed a film, Days of the Bagnold Summer, about a sullen teen (played by Nick Cave's son), so maybe he'll give up the acting.

the science eel

Oh, really? I'll look out for it. Ta.

Dusty Substance

Due to be so out of the loop on new British comedy I'd been under the impression that Friday Night Dinners only had three seasons, I was surprised to see seasons four and five pop up on Netflix and so I binge watched both over the last few nights.

Although I laughed out only a few times during the twelve episodes, it's a relentlessly watchable and charming show with great chemistry between the main four family members and a thoroughly enjoyable broad performance by Mark Heap. Sometimes it's a little frustrating in that way that a lot of sitcoms are, and there's not a great deal of attention paid to continuity (would they really never mention Jonny's Las Vegas marriage ever again?) but at the same time that makes the show easier to dip into.

Looking forward to catching up on the sixth (final?) season. It's not currently on Netflix and I won't be going anywhere near the glitchy hell hole of Channel 4's 'watch again' site.

Kudos to Robert Popper for single handedly writing a great little show.

spaghetamine

Anyone else fucking hate Jonny? Has to be one of the most irritating sitcom characters of all time

Dusty Substance

Quote from: spaghetamine on September 07, 2020, 08:59:16 PM
Anyone else fucking hate Jonny? Has to be one of the most irritating sitcom characters of all time

I get why you'd say this but isn't he only irritating when winding up his family, especially Adam - In that way that a lot of brothers continue to do into adulthood.

The show's most annoying character for mewas the one-off appearance of the blind pedantic piano tuner. It reminded me of how Larry David created an obnoxious blind character in Curb, rather than making a person with a disability into a sympathetic character like a more traditional sitcom would do.

Still not as good as the similarly themed and largely forgotten Grandma's House.

the science eel

The idea that a man is afraid of his own dog is really some kind of genius. And the way you get a little sign of it from Jim every episode, he'll recoil at some point. Wonderful stuff.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: the science eel on September 08, 2020, 12:44:21 AM
The idea that a man is afraid of his own dog is really some kind of genius. And the way you get a little sign of it from Jim every episode, he'll recoil at some point. Wonderful stuff.

Absolutely. I said the very same thing to a mate in the pub the other night. Such a genius yet simple idea, are we sure that it has never been used before at some point during the history of comedy? - Not accusing Popper of plagiarism, of course.

Also, Wilson is a great name for a dog.

frajer

Quote from: Dusty Substance on September 07, 2020, 09:57:16 PM
The show's most annoying character for mewas the one-off appearance of the blind pedantic piano tuner. It reminded me of how Larry David created an obnoxious blind character in Curb, rather than making a person with a disability into a sympathetic character like a more traditional sitcom would do.

I very much like them subverting the trope that a blind person is inherently kinder and more benevolent, however he's such a needlessly grade-A cunt that I find that episode hard to watch. Which I suppose means it works!