Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 10:01:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Camden pub du Jour

Started by Adrian Brezhnev, April 24, 2005, 05:17:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adrian Brezhnev

I'm currently spending a lost weekend in Camden, and it's the first time I've been here for twelve years.

On the surface, it seems exactly the same as it was in 1993, but the main difference seem to be the pubs.

They are probably the same ones that have been there for ever, but for the uninitiated, it's a challenge to chose which one. There are lots that seem quite good, more that seem mediocre, and a fair few that are complete bogholes.

Father Ted for instance- perhaps the worst Irish bar I have ever been in (and I've been in a lot, across Germany, England, Chicago, and, er, Ireland)- but I knew that I was not going to have a great evening when I went in and asked the very un-Irish lady behind the bar for a Kilkenny.
When she appeard to never have heard of Kilkenny, I asked if she had anything apart from the predictable Guiness, even bottled, and she said, well, "we've got Miller".

Genuine Draft? I asked, another question that seemed to stump her, so I would imagine that the answer was no, so I went off to enjoy my Guardian (one of the last in the newsagent next door so the free CD was missing) in a place called The World's End. #

Which was almost nice.

I'd imagine that I'm not the first VW that has been to Camden- so.... what would you recommend for when I am back there next weekend?

slim

I like that place down by the lock. Lock 17 I think it's called. They usually have a nice beer on tap and it's a good place when the sun is out; it gives a nice and summery atmosphere. It's also right by one of the food areas of the market where you can pick up a really nice vegetarian fajita with Quorn pieces in. Mmmm.

Lady Beaner

I go to Camden quite a lot and I would suggest some great pubs to you, but because 'The World's End' is usually my first stop, I am usually too pissed to tell which pub I am in after that.  Dammit, there is one up by Chalk Farm tube that I really like and I can't fucking remember what its called.

That really was no frigging use was it?  Sorry, I have just come in from the pub - The 'Admiral Hardy' in Greenwich should you ever want to visit there... tis nice!

I add another post when I am thinking more clearly.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: "Lady Beaner"Sorry, I have just come in from the pub - The 'Admiral Hardy' in Greenwich should you ever want to visit there... tis nice!
<notes that down to sell onto AY for future stalking purposes>

Caroline

I've been lurking for a while before making my first post, but now I finally feel there is something I am qualified to comment on.

The Good Mixer, on Inverness Street is not the Britpop mecca that visiting tourists ten years too late seem to hope it is, but nonetheless it's a decent enough pub, with plenty of places to sit, a jukebox, a pool table, traditional Australian bar staff and a good mix of clientele.

The Dublin Castle on Parkway is similar, except no pool table and a bit more 'indie'. It also has bands on every night, I think but they all tend to sound exactly like you'd expect unsigned bands playing in the back room of a pub in Camden to sound like.

I'm also quite fond of Libertie's, which is on the High Street towards the Mornington Crescent end. Candlelighting, overfriendly barstaff and boardgames make a nice combination.

And, even though it's an evil chain pub, the Lloyds on down by the canal is good now the weather's improving as it has a large outside seating area and the drinks are slightly cheaper than in the other pubs I've mentioned.

Sarge

"Quinns" on Kentish Town Rd (in Camden) is an authentic Irish pub run by an authentic Irish family.

clareQuilty

Go to the devonshire arms, you can stare at fetish models on the ceiling and have a fun time trying to decipher the 'magick' wall decorations.

Jemble Fred

The Etc theatre (above the Oxford Arms) is worth a visit. Only when we're performing though. Which won't be for ages. So avoid it until further notice.

Smiley.

Neville Chamberlain

Quote from: "clareQuilty"Go to the devonshire arms, you can stare at fetish models on the ceiling and have a fun time trying to decipher the 'magick' wall decorations.

Only 'gothic' or 'alternative' attire is permitted there as it quite explicitly says on a little sign on the door. Miserable bastards!

Go to the World's End, Dublin Castle, or Good Mixer. The Oxford Arms is good too because it doesn't shut till midnight!

However, if you want to go further afield, carry on up the hill towards Belsize Park until you reach The Steeles, which is my favourite boozer in town (not that that's much of a recommendation seeing as you know bugger all about me).

thomasina

Quote from: "slim"I like that place down by the lock. Lock 17 I think it's called. They usually have a nice beer on tap and it's a good place when the sun is out; it gives a nice and summery atmosphere. It's also right by one of the food areas of the market where you can pick up a really nice vegetarian fajita with Quorn pieces in. Mmmm.
Is that the open fronted one with the toilets upstairs and the candles on the tables? I think i was there on Sunday.  I only went in to use the loo, but if it's that one, it seemed really nice.
Those food places are great!  I got cheesy bacony potatoes and my blokey got something spicy and morroccan with rice and spicy lamb.

Lee

THREAD HIJACK ALERT:

I'll probably be in Camden on Thursday 12th May (The Go! Team are playing there) and I've not really been there before, so if anyone can tell me about anything good there at all then I'd be very grateful. Fuck, maybe I'll make it a mini-meet. The 'Take Lee Around Camden' meet. Maybe when it's confirmed. We'll see...

slim

Hmm, by the interior and local food description, that does seem like the same place.

Did it have a big thing on the wall like the below?

thomasina

Can't remember.  It might have.  i know it had a big doorway and the stairs were immediately in front.  Camden is great!  The indoor market just near there has got some brilliant graffiti-sold-as-art stuff and there were some great pervy shops round there too.  Cyberpunk kink fashion and rubberwear.
Not to mention the food.

Bingolittle

All of you recommending The World's End, what the fuck is wrong with you?

It's a hole.

Crown and Goose on Delancey Street, Spread Eagle on Parkway, The Good Mixer just about and Quinns are all good places to go.  Lock Tavern and the Enterprise are good but in Chalk Farm.

If you can't go to these, get the fuck out of there and go somewhere less gothic.*

*Unless it's past closing, then just go anywhere open, they're all pretty much the same.

Bernard

Quote from: "Jemble Fred"The Etc theatre (above the Oxford Arms) is worth a visit. Only when we're performing though. Which won't be for ages. So avoid it until further notice.

Oh, who are you then? I go there now and then, it's a great place for some cheap personal theatre+beer. The last production I saw, can't remember the name, featured a man and woman as theatre ticket ushers. The male character was called Neil.

That's probably no use to you is it.

Anyway, Camden. I live there sometimes and it's fine and fun, except for the grime and dealers.

Adrian Brezhnev

Ah, thankyou so much for your feedback, all of you.

I actually had lunch in Lock 17 last Saturday, and by the end of the weekend, had started to think that The World's End is quite a good meeting place, certainly for witches anyway. I'd never seen so many pagans in one pub.

I'm back there tomorrow, so I'll do some more research.....

Lady Beaner

I expect you to pop down to 'Cyberdog' in the market and buy a pair of dayglo dungarees!