Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 12:05:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

What's the endgame to this whole business?

Started by greencalx, March 28, 2020, 02:56:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greencalx

Apart from us all being dead, of course.

I mean, right now, we're all staying indoors so as not to infect each other. Great. Cases presumably will start to fall, assuming that the remaining contacts within the population are below a critical value.

But the virus will still be kicking about, and people who've not been exposed to it won't magically have acquired immunity. So if everyone's let out. Boom: second wave, surely?

We could test everyone, and let those with immunity out. But what of the rest, when a vaccine is still a couple of years away?

El Unicornio, mang

Apparently if everyone does as we're being told (which we're not) we should be at a point around August where things are relatively back to "normal" and the risk of being infected will be low enough for us to go about our regular business. People will still get it but at a level which the health services can deal with. If we don't do as we're told, this will become a seasonal problem and will last until we have a vaccine, which could take between 2 and 15 years. This is the opinion of one doctor who is an expert in the field but I'm sure there's a lot of speculation since this is kind of a new thing for even those in the know, and of course there are countless variables.

dr beat

Perhaps more hope than conjecture, but I think things might get back to normal on a phased and localized basis - so maybe we'll see normality gradually return at the local level before the national level (although I think somewhere London might be affected for some time longer).

I suspect at the international level things will be affected for a much longer period of time, with various governments concerned about second wave with people returning from still badly affected areas.  So perhaps a lot of countries will have quarantine rules in place.

shiftwork2

I don't think anyone has any serious notion of how to get out of this.

massive bereavement

I reckon there will be at least one false alarm over a suspected new strain popping up somewhere, forcing the whole world to lockdown again as a precaution. Then there'll be a nasty new flu bug, again some countries will shut down, some won't, the new flu turns out to be nothing worse than usual. Then another virus comes along, but everybody's sick of lockdowns by now, "we have to be more certain that this one is a danger to life", it soon becomes apparent that its' worse than Covid-19 but too late to stop it spreading. Identical scenes.

bgmnts

A few thousand people will die, then back to normal slowly.

Danger Man

a few thousand dead and everybody else goes "I didn't die because this Tory Government saved my life" and the Tories get 99% of the vote at the next election.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Danger Man on March 28, 2020, 04:25:13 PM
a few 130 thousand dead again and everybody else goes "I didn't die because this Tory Government saved my life" and the Tories get 99% of the vote at the next election.

ftfy

Lemming

- Sweeping economic overhauls leading to the death of neoliberal capitalism and the rise of worldwide social democracy

- Global unity as people across the planet come to view each other as old battle comrades of the Great 2020 Pandemic - directly leading to the dissolution of nations and the formation of a one-world government

- The virus turns out to have a side-effect that allows humans to communicate telepathically and move objects with their minds

- Scientific breakthroughs the likes of which have never been seen before, leading all humans to transfer their consciousnesses into immortal robot bodies

- Colonisation of Mars by 2030

- Boris, "the man who got us through the crisis", crowned God-Emperor

- Oasis get back together

hamfist

Quote from: Lemming on March 28, 2020, 04:44:21 PM
- Sweeping economic overhauls leading to the death of neoliberal capitalism and the rise of worldwide social democracy

- Global unity as people across the planet come to view each other as old battle comrades of the Great 2020 Pandemic - directly leading to the dissolution of nations and the formation of a one-world government

- The virus turns out to have a side-effect that allows humans to communicate telepathically and move objects with their minds

- Scientific breakthroughs the likes of which have never been seen before, leading all humans to transfer their consciousnesses into immortal robot bodies

-Colonisation of Mars by 2030

- Oasis get back together

?????
profit

Pseudopath

Quote from: Danger Man on March 28, 2020, 04:25:13 PM
a few thousand dead and everybody else goes "I didn't die because this Tory Government saved my life" and the Tories get 99% of the vote at the next election.

Fuck...this is depressingly likely.

BlodwynPig

Kryton

Quote from: bgmnts on March 28, 2020, 03:56:35 PM
A few thousand people will die, then back to normal slowly.

How though? Surely a large chunk of every work force will have suffered losses and some kind of tragedy. We can't exactly go back pretending nothing's happened.

'How was your quarantine?'

'Oh not bad, my neighbours got cremated somewhere and my boss isn't answering his calls'.

I HOPE people become better people. But there's still loads of uncertainty.

Kryton

Not to be a Negative Norris, but what happens when the world's biggest super-power sinks into recession?

JarrowMonkey

Quote from: Kryton on March 28, 2020, 08:54:12 PM
Not to be a Negative Norris, but what happens when the world's biggest super-power sinks into recession?

Ronald Reagan and Margo Thatcher get elected

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Maybe we'll take it back to 1879 and start boycotting landlords again

Jittlebags

There isn't really an edgame. At least not in the short term. Options are a) vaccine - not happening any time soon, and even if one if found it's going to be years before enough can be produced to adequately protect the denizens of planet earth. b) Herd immunity. Need 60% to get it. In Uk that's 40 million. How long is it going to take to pump 40 million through the system where, say .5-5% need treatment to stop them dying, and keeping within the capacity to treat them at any given time. That could be, I don't know, 5 years maybe ? c) The option of changing behaviour is just maintaining capacity for a or b. Dunno. In any case, football aint coming back this year.

imitationleather

This will all end when Bang Face Weekender 2021 begins.

EbbyVale

Quote from: Jittlebags on March 28, 2020, 10:28:57 PM
There isn't really an edgame. At least not in the short term. Options are a) vaccine - not happening any time soon, and even if one if found it's going to be years before enough can be produced to adequately protect the denizens of planet earth. b) Herd immunity. Need 60% to get it. In Uk that's 40 million. How long is it going to take to pump 40 million through the system where, say .5-5% need treatment to stop them dying, and keeping within the capacity to treat them at any given time. That could be, I don't know, 5 years maybe ? c) The option of changing behaviour is just maintaining capacity for a or b. Dunno. In any case, football aint coming back this year.

What could be happening soon is speedy detection of virus and of antibodies that at least means we don't all get locked in like Eyam. Just the ones branded across the forehead.

MrMrs

20, 000 dead where? We hit 10, 000 in the UK today

Urinal Cake

A few people think this is temperature and season dependent. We'll find out if it is when tropical countries hit the monsoon season and the southern hemisphere hits winter in a few months time.

idunnosomename

didnt a lot of people die in the persian gulf already where its hot as bollocks all the time anyway

bgmnts

Quote from: MrMrs on March 28, 2020, 11:36:09 PM
20, 000 dead where? We hit 10, 000 in the UK today

20,000 dead being the endgame, according to the nhs director. Although its really vague and non commital.

Danger Man

Quote from: idunnosomename on March 28, 2020, 11:52:20 PM
didnt a lot of people die in the persian gulf already where its hot as bollocks all the time anyway

2 dead in the UAE so far.