Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:52:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

POLICE STATE BRITAIN THREAD

Started by idunnosomename, March 29, 2020, 01:03:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny Yesno

chveik

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on March 29, 2020, 07:52:38 PM
Look they are just trying to stop people getting out for no reason, I'm surprised thy haven't done all this earlier. By the way do you come across like a petulant little child in real life or this just your online persona?

I think he's a cokehead

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: jobotic on March 29, 2020, 08:30:08 PM
https://theoutline.com/post/8881/coronavirus-quarantine-social-distancing-covidiots?zd=2&zi=xt5r36g3

Pretty good. However, the sticker mentioned here is probably a fake:

QuoteOn social media, there has been a marked tendency towards "the humans are gone" posting, with users marvelling at the positive effects coronavirus has had on Venice canals, or the streets of London. "Corona is the Cure," a sticker distributed by the climate change activism group Extinction Rebellion claims, "Humans are the disease." This is indicative of a tendency towards thinking that it is other people in general who are doing this — other people in general are lazy, selfish, and mean, and make the world a stupider and uglier place merely by existing.

Twit 2

There is no way on fucking Earth I'm cutting my walks short at an hour. I am near big fields with no people. Ooh, what if everyone did that? Well they're fucking not going to because they didn't do so before, they're not doing it now and they won't do it after. Fuck off.

thenoise

So if I am going for a half an hour run and I'm not going to make it back in time, do I have to start walking?

Abnormal Palm

I'm gonna stay inside and watch films and play games on my massive OLED telly and there's not a fuckin thing the filth can do about it, until they pass new legislation.

chveik

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on March 29, 2020, 08:57:32 PM
However, the sticker mentioned here is probably a fake:

yep that's careless reporting. there are some fair points in it but this kind of hot take article is always tedious. the point of social atomisation in this context is to not infect at risk people. besides healthcare workers were begging us to self-isolate far before any government.

Pinball

Johnny Yesno

jobotic

Quote from: chveik on March 29, 2020, 09:15:12 PM
yep that's careless reporting. there are some fair points in it but this kind of hot take article is always tedious. the point of social atomisation in this context is to not infect at risk people. besides healthcare workers were begging us to self-isolate far before any government.

Yeah fair enough. I do agree that that bit sounds like bullshit too. The article isn't arguing that we shouldn't social distance or that there's nothing wrong with having barbecues though. Just don't let it distract us from who is mainly to blame.

idunnosomename

if you have a barbeque in a park with yer mates i fully sanction ED-209 activating a load of blood squibs on your chest

gib

Quote from: idunnosomename on March 29, 2020, 11:43:37 PM
if you have a barbeque in a park with yer mates i fully sanction ED-209 activating a load of blood squibs on your chest

This is exactly the sort of thing a COKEHEAD would say!

gib

sorry but the COKEHEAD helpline workers have volunteered for the NHS to help with the pandemic

Here Comes Mongo

What's the point of a lockdown when this not very dangerous virus is going to start spreading amongst the population the moment we all go back to work in a few weeks' time? Meanwhile the fuzz are going to bully innocent members of the public for trying to get a bit of exercise.

I know I've changed my tune, but I was basing my initial opinion off that heavily revised Imperial College report.

katzenjammer

Quote from: Twit 2 on March 29, 2020, 08:59:07 PM
There is no way on fucking Earth I'm cutting my walks short at an hour. I am near big fields with no people. Ooh, what if everyone did that? Well they're fucking not going to because they didn't do so before, they're not doing it now and they won't do it after. Fuck off.

In two weeks time the U.K. will be on full lockdown with everyone unable to leave their homes for any reason apart from to get food or go to the doctor. The reason will be stuff like the above.  Don't be a dick, you've been asked to stay inside for a few weeks apart from a short walk from time to time.  Is that so really such a big deal?

thenoise

Quote from: Here Comes Mongo on March 30, 2020, 12:05:19 AM
What's the point of a lockdown when this not very dangerous virus is going to start spreading amongst the population the moment we all go back to work in a few weeks' time?

We all have to wait our turn on the two state-run Great British Ventilators, and they are currently being kept in reserve for Bonny Prince Charlie and King Boris.  By September, Dyson or JCB or Wetherspoons or some other Great British Company will have worked out how to make ventilators in their Great British Factories, at which point you are all welcome to get the Covids at your earliest convenience.

Buelligan

Don't know why everyone is finding it so hard.

Just follow the government advice and the police will leave you alone: remain inside, switch off all lights and electrical devices, maintain silence at all times and stay calm.

I forgot to stay calm for a little bit, but then a police officer reminded me with his taser and I am calm now.

Twit 2

Quote from: Twit 2 on March 29, 2020, 08:59:07 PM
I am near big fields with no people. Ooh, what if everyone did that? Well they're fucking not going to because they didn't do so before, they're not doing it now and they won't do it after.

Quote from: katzenjammer on March 30, 2020, 08:11:37 AM
In two weeks time the U.K. will be on full lockdown with everyone unable to leave their homes for any reason apart from to get food or go to the doctor. The reason will be stuff like the above.  Don't be a dick,

No it won't, it will be the people flouting the law in much more obvious and public ways, such as driving to a popular beach. You'll have to explain more clearly to me how me being in the absolute middle of nowhere with not a person in sight is irresponsible or even noticeable to anyone, least of all the authorities.

Quoteyou've been asked to stay inside for a few weeks apart from a short walk from time to time.  Is that so really such a big deal?

Yes. It's not a monstrous curtailment of my freedom, but I certainly think only being allowed outside for an hour would have a deleterious effect on my mental health.

Buelligan

Quote from: DistressedArea on March 30, 2020, 09:37:03 AM
Don't know why everyone is finding it so hard.

Just follow the government advice and the police will leave you alone: remain inside, switch off all lights and electrical devices, maintain silence at all times and stay calm.

I forgot to stay calm for a little bit, but then a police officer reminded me with his taser and I am calm now.

I like this.  It made me laugh. 

katzenjammer

Quote from: Twit 2 on March 30, 2020, 09:38:31 AM
No it won't, it will be the people flouting the law in much more obvious and public ways, such as driving to a popular beach. You'll have to explain more clearly to me how me being in the absolute middle of nowhere with not a person in sight is irresponsible or even noticeable to anyone, least of all the authorities.

'The single raindrop never feels responsible for the flood'.   I don't have to explain anything, I'm just telling you what's going to happen if people don't stick to the rules, and you're one of them.

Yes. It's not a monstrous curtailment of my freedom, but I certainly think only being allowed outside for an hour would have a deleterious effect on my mental health.

Probably.  I've been in a flat for 16 days now with no outside space whatsoever and it's not great, but you do adjust and get used to it. 

I know two doctors and I asked them what I could do to help, they just said to stay indoors.  Maybe it's all in vain, but if there's a small chance that by doing so it relieves the stress on the health service temporarily and helps prevent a few people dying horrible deaths alone then I think it's worth my slight discomfort for a few weeks.

Twit 2

Quote from: katzenjammer on March 30, 2020, 10:53:17 AM
'The single raindrop never feels responsible for the flood'.   I don't have to explain anything, I'm just telling you what's going to happen if people don't stick to the rules, and you're one of them.

I get the raindrop thing, and it absolutely applies to the people taking the piss. I am not doing that, though. A raindrop can't cause a flood if it never falls on the ground. Can you answer these questions:

Who will I be infecting in empty fields? Who am I exposing to risk if there is no one there?
Assuming there aren't police who've parked their car and walked for an hour to hide in the bushes, how are the authorities going to know and therefore how are my actions causing any change to the severity of the lockdown?

You're saying "what if" but there's no need to be hypothetical. The reality is I am not doing anything irresponsible whatsoever. The law cannot be applied at an individual level, it needs to be one size fits at all. But all laws are open to interpretation by the individual. Of course not everyone can do what I doing: not everyone lives in rural Norfolk where the fields are so vast that it can take half an hour to walk around one, and so flat that you can see a person from 500 yards away. If I had to fight through crowds to do this, I wouldn't be doing it.

Just read this back again, and see if it this hypothetical statement matches the reality of what I have described:

QuoteI'm just telling you what's going to happen if people don't stick to the rules, and you're one of them

It's as hysterical as it is nonsensical. If a man walks in an empty field and no sees him does he force a tighter lockdown? If your answer to this deeply complex koan is 'yes' then you probably need to go for a walk and get some oxygen to your brain.

imitationleather

Quote from: katzenjammer on March 30, 2020, 08:11:37 AM
In two weeks time the U.K. will be on full lockdown with everyone unable to leave their homes for any reason apart from to get food or go to the doctor. The reason will be stuff like the above.  Don't be a dick, you've been asked to stay inside for a few weeks apart from a short walk from time to time.  Is that so really such a big deal?

Indeed. This attitude through-out the country that the rules do not apply to me specifically is going to fuck it up for absolutely everyone and mean we're all confined to our homes for months. Just change your lifestyle slightly.

katzenjammer

QuoteI get the raindrop thing, and it absolutely applies to the people taking the piss. I am not doing that, though

Lol.  I don't think you do get it.

Just because you can't see a downside to what you're doing doesn't mean there isn't one.  Just posting what you did on a public forum encourages other to justify their own lockdown breaking.  Maybe your neighbours see you setting off and coming back and decide that if you're leaving they can too.  What happens if you step in a hole, twist your ankle and need emergency assistance?

imitationleather