Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 07:14:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Horror/Survival games that don't devolve into trite shite

Started by Clownbaby, March 30, 2020, 12:20:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Jam

Quote from: bgmnts on April 01, 2020, 11:58:20 AM
I'm going to start Alien Isolation again on hard and complete it with ease to demonstrate my power.

Can I come round and watch you play it on Nightmare difficulty? Or could you do a Twitch stream? Nightmare difficulty sounds like an experience for total masochists only.

I dread to think what it's like in VR.

Ignatius_S

Eternal Darkness - absolutely incredible.

One of the most satisfying endings to any game I've played (well, played and that I managed to finish) - and I'm struggling to think one that was better off the top of my head.

In it, you play multiple characters from different times of time - each has their own section of the game and the way this is down to create the overall storyline is fantastic. Also, the way those threads come together for the finale is awesome!

Bazooka

Yeah ED is wonderful, not played it since released though, I'd love an HD remaster.

Mister Six

Was thinking about ED last night - it manages to perfectly balance jump-scares, existential horror, body horror and even meta-scares (
Spoiler alert
That memory card bit, and "To be continued in Sanity's Return"
[close]
). My only complaint would be that the Buffy-esque main character is a cypher, but I suppose that's kind of inevitable, given how the game is structured.

Quote from: Blue Jam on April 01, 2020, 10:19:53 AM
Prey, Subnautica and Alien: Isolation are all on Game Pass, incidentally.

Prey is without a doubt the best game of the past.... I dunno, 10 years? I love it on every level. Fantastic DLC, too.

Quote from: Egyptian Feast on April 01, 2020, 01:27:27 PM
*swerves to the side of the road repeatedly while talking to myself about The Deadly Spawn*

I fucking love Deadly Premonition. Everything shit about it is great.

Same. Tempted to flick over to Xbox when I next upgrade my console, just so I can play it using the backwards compatibility.

bgmnts

Quote from: Blue Jam on April 01, 2020, 01:44:56 PM
Can I come round and watch you play it on Nightmare difficulty? Or could you do a Twitch stream? Nightmare difficulty sounds like an experience for total masochists only.

I dread to think what it's like in VR.

I'd never play it in VR because I think I would genuinely cry.

However, I am going to do a run of Alien Isolation and Prey on the hardest difficulty settings this week. I have dial up caveman internet so no stream on twitch (however one does that) but I will post my proof up later.

Blue Jam

Prey on Nightmare difficulty isn't that bad- I'm not showing off there, basically you take more damage and do less damage per hit. The resources are scarce whatever difficulty you play on so there's also no change there.

Nightmare difficulty in Alien: Isolation is something else though- scarce resources, no map and no motion sensor, as well as the xenomorph having ESP.

One of the new modes of Prey ramps up the difficulty a bit though- you can get burns and broken bones and need specific medkits to sort them out, and you can have your guns getting worn out. I found those things more of a pain in the arse than a challenge in Mooncrash though.

Blue Jam

Right, I'm reinstalling Alien:Isolation now so I can play along with youse. Will also begin a New Game + run of Prey.

Bazooka

I've got Prey sitting there, not touched yet, got it for a fiver.

Mister Six