Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 11:37:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

BEERS #2 - Beyond the Pale

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, March 30, 2020, 03:56:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pseudopath

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on January 13, 2021, 01:34:38 PM
Just realized I have shares in brewdog when they were a one-shop IPA lot in Edinburgh. Must dig them out, they must be worth something now. I bought like a quids worth so maybe... a fiver?

They're not really worth anything until BrewDog go public (probably some time in mid-2021). Shareholders are basically in a discounted beer club until that happens, but I think the older shares are worth more than the newer issues.

Ferris

Quote from: Pseudopath on January 13, 2021, 03:49:18 PM
They're not really worth anything until BrewDog go public (probably some time in mid-2021). Shareholders are basically in a discounted beer club until that happens, but I think the older shares are worth more than the newer issues.

I blithely assumed they'd done an IPO.

So they're not even "worth" a fiver until then. Bastards!

TrenterPercenter

Can will still buy beers from abroad then?

I.e. the heir gibts bier place?

phes

Just noticed that The Kernal are currently unable to ship to Northern Ireland. On the subject of foreign beer, I've noticed a whopping reduction in the range of American beers sold by all UK shops, both large online stores and bottle shops. All of the stuff by Breweries like Odell, Port Brewing, Victory, Bear Republic, Great Divide etc have long been out of stock and show no sign of turning up again. The only stuff you can get is Evil Twin, Sierra Nevada and stuff like Dale's etc that's brewed in Berlin and is now shite. Any suggestions what might have caused this? Wondering whether the UK copying everything they've done has killed demand or has there been a change in export costs that's made it unviable. The only place I can see that has any unusual US beers is honest brew. It's a fraction of what used to be available and the prices are cray cray

Ferris

I think it is domestic UK breweries copying styles increasingly well and killing off the demand for yankee beer.

I am (was?) always very impressed with the range of US beers whenever I go into a bottle shop in the UK, to the point where I couldn't see how it was feasible to have all this stuff for the average punter - maybe it never was and the pendulum is swinging back? Or maybe that's just a reaction to the crap import selection available here.

Ferris Sez: no idea mate making this up as I go along

Chedney Honks

Schneider Weisse Festweisse and a couple of Mahrs aU plus a St. Georgenbrau Keller. Best of British.

DJ Bob Hoskins

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on January 13, 2021, 04:24:32 PM
I blithely assumed they'd done an IPO.

I'm pretty sure I tried a bottle of it a few months back.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

https://www.tvl.be/nieuws/limburg-verliest-met-achel-zijn-enige-authentieke-trappistenbier-112013

Achel lose their Trappist status, for now at least, due to lack of monk.

Seems like Westmalle had a degree of influence over operations so without further background it's genuinely hard to know how or why this has come to pass. It is a virtuous circle, Achel's existence makes money for other Trappist breweries and vice versa.

Cuellar

Look at that lucky fucking bastard just sitting there drinking beer and talking about it, in Belgium. And presumably being paid to do so.

Cuellar

Just had a thought, I could be Achel's monk. They get their Trappist status back, I get to piss about in a robe(? what is it called the word has gone) and drink beer in Belgium. Literally no losers.

billyandthecloneasaurus

what is good website for reviews n that?  i'm looking at untappd but all the highly rated stuff is like, £9 for a can.  outrageous.

Ferris

Quote from: billyandthecloneasaurus on January 21, 2021, 07:54:08 PM
what is good website for reviews n that?  i'm looking at untappd but all the highly rated stuff is like, £9 for a can.  outrageous.

Untappd is a funny one, it seems to only really rate DIPAs and imperial stouts. Everything else seems to be 3.0 to 3.7 regardless of how good a given beer actually is.

Would be really interested in a decent review site also.

phes

Ratebeer and untapped have always been that way. It used to be west coast ipas and imp stouts and now it's neipas and imp stouts. seems that on untappd any new great quality (according to raters) neipa will be 4.25-4.75, whereas a decent west coast will struggle to hit 4. Years back when the craft community was smaller a friend who was well connected in that community claimed it was because raters and influencers liked pushing the higher abv drinks with higher hop bills etc as it meant more freebies and sales of the expensive stuff.

I do check these sites because they are a helpful way to spot examples of beers that are truly rubbish and a waste of money. But it's a good idea to have a frame of reference on untapped of what range to expect the style to return.

I requested a couple of beers from a US shipment recently to be swapped out because I mistakenly ordered  2 TNEIPAs. The chap kindly swapped them out but convinced me I should try a couple of DNEIPAs that were well rated on UT, and said he was certain I'd be blown away. Tipped the first down the sink after two mouthfulls. Just a foul style of beer to my taste. The white IPA I'm drinking now (Boom Boom IPA Bronx Brewery) is excellent imo but is rated 3.66. I like white IPAs, it's one of the better style hybrids. Tart, spicy, hoppy, bitter, it's ace if the balance is ok

Ferris

I love NEIPAs and would happily drink them all day, though I definitely know they're a bit divisive and would be really hesitant to recommend one to someone who didn't like the style already.

phes

I had a lot in the last year as I lived just along the road from Deya. A lot of them up to about 5% are delicious. Especially the crisper ones. No obvious booze, beer like and refreshing. My problem is with the beers once they get to about 6.5%+. I've tried a lot and haven't tried one yet that didn't taste like foul rotten fruit slop. I can't understand the appeal, it's not refreshing and smashable (sorry can't think of a better word) and just gets progressively more foul with the body and booziness. I'd agree that west coast beers have an element of diminishing returns above a certain point, but east coast ones become undrinkable to my taste

billyandthecloneasaurus

also lads, i'm quite eager to expand my beer palette, are there any decent variety pack type things?  I found this one:

https://www.beerhawk.co.uk/the-discovery-case

but i'm quite cynical and assume that those kind of things are likely to be bait for tourist mugs like me...

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: billyandthecloneasaurus on January 21, 2021, 08:37:41 PM
also lads, i'm quite eager to expand my beer palette, are there any decent variety pack type things?  I found this one:

https://www.beerhawk.co.uk/the-discovery-case

but i'm quite cynical and assume that those kind of things are likely to be bait for tourist mugs like me...

Sorry to be a pain, but before I advise, what sorts of beer do you enjoy already?

My natural urge is to be cynical but that really is a good selection of beers.

billyandthecloneasaurus

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on January 21, 2021, 08:46:30 PM
Sorry to be a pain, but before I advise, what sorts of beer do you enjoy already?

My natural urge is to be cynical but that really is a good selection of beers.
Apols in advance for my ignorance of terminology etc.

I like a lot of stuff.

I really like stouts, porters, and if a pub has a MILD on tap, I will always go for that.  Chocolate/vanilla/coffee flavours are good to me.  Love a guiness.  Some of the stronger porters have tasted a bit too...boozy for me?  But that might just be that i've had crap ones, rather than me being incompatible with 8%+ porters.

My local sells bottles of chimay, golden draak and delerium and I love all of them in moderation.  I assume they're all vastly different styles of beer, but my basic brain just stores them as "those mad strong european beers they sell at the pub that seem like a good idea when I'm half cut at 11pm"

I like sour beer a lot.  I've had a fair few lambics...are there other similar types of beer?

Can happily put away most supermarket lager, and there's very few pissy british bitters I won't enjoy. 

To be fair, the only stuff I tend not to enjoy are american IPAs that come in purple cans with names like lethal hopjection and fruity pale british ales like bishops farewell.  Taste like shampoo to me. 

Oh, it isn't beer, but i LOVE peaty smokey whisky as well.  laphroig is mega, smells like ashtrays.

Good luck, and thank you.

oh edit: don't really like erdinger either

Shoulders?-Stomach!

So, dark beer of many kinds, lagers, but not wheat beer?

Tbf, I think the selection you posted is a good one. Most of those featured are different to the ones you referenced which would help fulfil the 'discovery aspect'

billyandthecloneasaurus

Bingo. Cheers.

Got any specific beers you'd recommend? Especially ones that are reasonably cheap and easily accessible? Thanks love you

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: billyandthecloneasaurus on January 21, 2021, 10:29:56 PM
Bingo. Cheers.

Got any specific beers you'd recommend? Especially ones that are reasonably cheap and easily accessible? Thanks love you

https://www.tremblingmadness.co.uk/

I think these guys have a decent range of good German and Belgium beer. Recently some top notch Czech beer from Vinohradsky Pivovar, though that seems to have ended, sadly.

Of the Germans, get pretty much anything called a Kellerbier or Dunkel.

Viero_Berlotti

Anyone ordered any beer from the EU since 1st Jan? Wondering what the damage might be in terms of customs / VAT / extra admin charges. https://www.hier-gibts-bier.de still offering shipment to the UK at their usual rates.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Not yet, I've been working through a stockpile of unpasteurised Czech beers I got in from Pivovar Monopol and Pivovar Olesna. As they must be drunk fresh there's an 8 week best before date. Almost finished.

Meanwhile, waiting for the Brexdust to settle, I have read some off-putting stories about couriers having to pass on further charges meaning that what you pay at the counter isn't necessarily the be all and end all.

Interesting Hier Gibts Bier are still doing UK delivery, I shall bear them in mind.

Has anyone heard about the 'virtual EU address' thing, where a company sets up a forwarding address for you in an EU country for any business that doesn't ship abroad, then can sort out shipping with you directly? I don't know too much about it, but I'd be interested.

Chedney Honks

I've used similar buying shite from Japan. I'd say it's costly but depends how much you want it.

Viero_Berlotti

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on January 28, 2021, 09:04:25 PM
I have read some off-putting stories about couriers having to pass on further charges meaning that what you pay at the counter isn't necessarily the be all and end all.

Hier Gibts Bier might be sending as duty unpaid which will probably mean you'll get stung with an invoice from the courier for the VAT and admin charges at least. Not sure where we stand on customs charges on alcohol.

I bought a piece of artwork online from Poland on the 28-12-20 and it didn't get delivered until mid Jan. Thought I'd escaped any charges as I'd purchased before 31st Dec but I've just had a £50 VAT invoice from FedEx today.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

In that case fuggedaboudit.

Back to UK sellers and I guess see if anyone you know has a wholesale account and doesn't mind putting in an extra order especially for you.

phes

Quote from: Viero_Berlotti on January 28, 2021, 09:16:06 PM
Hier Gibts Bier might be sending as duty unpaid which will probably mean you'll get stung with an invoice from the courier for the VAT and admin charges at least. Not sure where we stand on customs charges on alcohol.

I bought a piece of artwork online from Poland on the 28-12-20 and it didn't get delivered until mid Jan. Thought I'd escaped any charges as I'd purchased before 31st Dec but I've just had a £50 VAT invoice from FedEx today.

Yes well worth checking in advance. Even duty paid comes with the occasional horror story, but a couple of places seem to have moreorless sorted this out. beerrepublic.eu has restarted UK shipping, duty paid and recommends orders below €150 to avoid additional duties. I've got a €130 order winging its way, though they won't be of that much interest to francophiles as their European range is mostly craft beer and the fashionable beers you'd expect a craft beer shop to stock.

Dead excited though to finally be getting some decent ipas/dipas/red dipas from Oskar Blues, Cigar City and Great Divide, Firestone Walker, Canada's Indie Alehouse, Pipeworks and Stouts from Founders. There has been a raft of novelty UK West Coast IPAs released lately, so perhaps the pendulum is finally swinging back away from swampy fruit juice towards a middle ground and we'll see more hybrids, West Coasts and perhaps a new style emerging. That said, I've tried several of these UK West Coasts at some expense and they're all the same, extremely hop forward, pale, thin and sharply citric affairs. Not to my taste and I've given up, ergo the big order order of beers by breweries that make coppery ipas with a more rounded malt/hop character

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on January 22, 2021, 11:17:43 PM
https://www.tremblingmadness.co.uk/

I think these guys have a decent range of good German and Belgium beer. Recently some top notch Czech beer from Vinohradsky Pivovar, though that seems to have ended, sadly.
I went for a refill of that and it's only the 13 left on there now. Probably my favourite thing I've tried on the back of this thread, going to chuck one or two in with my next order.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Ah, timely as I and my partner just got a shipment in from Trembling Madness to share. Some interesting stuff, mainly German but some Belgian, Czech and craft

German
1 x Uerige Alt
2 x Uerige Sticke (like Strong Altbier)
1 x Uerige Doppelsticke (like strong.. Well, you guessed it)
1 x Schremser Roggenbier (German Rye beer, a rare find)
1 x Schremser Zwickl
1 x Keesman Weisse (ace brewery so looking forward to that)
1 x Schonramer Weisse
2 x Ayinger Winter Bock
1 x Ayinger unfiltered Dunkel
1 x Paulaner Ur Dunkel
1 x Paulaner Weiss Dunkel
1 x Tegernsee Export Dunkel
1 x Kloster Andechs Dunkel

Czech
1 x Vinohradsky 13
1 x Kutno Horska 13

Belgian
2 x Bernardus 6