Author Topic: BEERS #2 - Beyond the Pale  (Read 43789 times)

Re: BEERS #2 - Beyond the Pale
« Reply #1170 on: January 13, 2021, 03:49:18 PM »
Just realized I have shares in brewdog when they were a one-shop IPA lot in Edinburgh. Must dig them out, they must be worth something now. I bought like a quids worth so maybe... a fiver?

They're not really worth anything until BrewDog go public (probably some time in mid-2021). Shareholders are basically in a discounted beer club until that happens, but I think the older shares are worth more than the newer issues.

FerriswheelBueller

• CaB rear of the year 2020
  • Silver Member
  • Take it easy, but take it.
    • I am antsy for baseball in the off-season.
« Reply #1171 on: January 13, 2021, 04:24:32 PM »
They're not really worth anything until BrewDog go public (probably some time in mid-2021). Shareholders are basically in a discounted beer club until that happens, but I think the older shares are worth more than the newer issues.

I blithely assumed they’d done an IPO.

So they’re not even “worth” a fiver until then. Bastards!

TrenterPercenter

• Rock the CABLADs
« Reply #1172 on: January 14, 2021, 09:43:34 PM »
Can will still buy beers from abroad then?

I.e. the heir gibts bier place?

phes

• operating as a shape
« Reply #1173 on: January 14, 2021, 10:43:07 PM »
Just noticed that The Kernal are currently unable to ship to Northern Ireland. On the subject of foreign beer, I've noticed a whopping reduction in the range of American beers sold by all UK shops, both large online stores and bottle shops. All of the stuff by Breweries like Odell, Port Brewing, Victory, Bear Republic, Great Divide etc have long been out of stock and show no sign of turning up again. The only stuff you can get is Evil Twin, Sierra Nevada and stuff like Dale's etc that's brewed in Berlin and is now shite. Any suggestions what might have caused this? Wondering whether the UK copying everything they've done has killed demand or has there been a change in export costs that's made it unviable. The only place I can see that has any unusual US beers is honest brew. It's a fraction of what used to be available and the prices are cray cray

FerriswheelBueller

• Silver Member
« Reply #1174 on: January 14, 2021, 10:51:05 PM »
I think it is domestic UK breweries copying styles increasingly well and killing off the demand for yankee beer.

I am (was?) always very impressed with the range of US beers whenever I go into a bottle shop in the UK, to the point where I couldn’t see how it was feasible to have all this stuff for the average punter - maybe it never was and the pendulum is swinging back? Or maybe that’s just a reaction to the crap import selection available here.

Ferris Sez: no idea mate making this up as I go along

Chedney Honks

• Mood Rating (out of three): 👍👍
« Reply #1175 on: January 16, 2021, 09:44:16 PM »
Schneider Weisse Festweisse and a couple of Mahrs aU plus a St. Georgenbrau Keller. Best of British.

DJ Bob Hoskins

• Going mental in a dustbin
« Reply #1176 on: January 17, 2021, 03:40:09 PM »
I blithely assumed they’d done an IPO.

I'm pretty sure I tried a bottle of it a few months back.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

• Silver Member
  • Slime-fit for a piss binge
    • http://jackanderton.jamendo.net/
« Reply #1177 on: January 20, 2021, 11:26:50 PM »
https://www.tvl.be/nieuws/limburg-verliest-met-achel-zijn-enige-authentieke-trappistenbier-112013

Achel lose their Trappist status, for now at least, due to lack of monk.

Seems like Westmalle had a degree of influence over operations so without further background it's genuinely hard to know how or why this has come to pass. It is a virtuous circle, Achel's existence makes money for other Trappist breweries and vice versa.

Cuellar

• I'm over here
« Reply #1178 on: January 21, 2021, 06:10:27 PM »
Look at that lucky fucking bastard just sitting there drinking beer and talking about it, in Belgium. And presumably being paid to do so.

Cuellar

• I'm over here
« Reply #1179 on: January 21, 2021, 06:12:47 PM »
Just had a thought, I could be Achel's monk. They get their Trappist status back, I get to piss about in a robe(? what is it called the word has gone) and drink beer in Belgium. Literally no losers.

billyandthecloneasaurus

• LIVING ROOMS, bedrooms, dinettes, OH yeah!
« Reply #1180 on: January 21, 2021, 07:54:08 PM »
what is good website for reviews n that?  i'm looking at untappd but all the highly rated stuff is like, £9 for a can.  outrageous.

FerriswheelBueller

• Silver Member
« Reply #1181 on: January 21, 2021, 07:59:02 PM »
what is good website for reviews n that?  i'm looking at untappd but all the highly rated stuff is like, £9 for a can.  outrageous.

Untappd is a funny one, it seems to only really rate DIPAs and imperial stouts. Everything else seems to be 3.0 to 3.7 regardless of how good a given beer actually is.

Would be really interested in a decent review site also.

phes

• operating as a shape
« Reply #1182 on: January 21, 2021, 08:15:26 PM »
Ratebeer and untapped have always been that way. It used to be west coast ipas and imp stouts and now it's neipas and imp stouts. seems that on untappd any new great quality (according to raters) neipa will be 4.25-4.75, whereas a decent west coast will struggle to hit 4. Years back when the craft community was smaller a friend who was well connected in that community claimed it was because raters and influencers liked pushing the higher abv drinks with higher hop bills etc as it meant more freebies and sales of the expensive stuff.

I do check these sites because they are a helpful way to spot examples of beers that are truly rubbish and a waste of money. But it's a good idea to have a frame of reference on untapped of what range to expect the style to return.

I requested a couple of beers from a US shipment recently to be swapped out because I mistakenly ordered  2 TNEIPAs. The chap kindly swapped them out but convinced me I should try a couple of DNEIPAs that were well rated on UT, and said he was certain I'd be blown away. Tipped the first down the sink after two mouthfulls. Just a foul style of beer to my taste. The white IPA I'm drinking now (Boom Boom IPA Bronx Brewery) is excellent imo but is rated 3.66. I like white IPAs, it's one of the better style hybrids. Tart, spicy, hoppy, bitter, it's ace if the balance is ok

FerriswheelBueller

• Silver Member
« Reply #1183 on: January 21, 2021, 08:22:48 PM »
I love NEIPAs and would happily drink them all day, though I definitely know they’re a bit divisive and would be really hesitant to recommend one to someone who didn’t like the style already.

phes

• operating as a shape
« Reply #1184 on: January 21, 2021, 08:30:37 PM »
I had a lot in the last year as I lived just along the road from Deya. A lot of them up to about 5% are delicious. Especially the crisper ones. No obvious booze, beer like and refreshing. My problem is with the beers once they get to about 6.5%+. I've tried a lot and haven't tried one yet that didn't taste like foul rotten fruit slop. I can't understand the appeal, it's not refreshing and smashable (sorry can't think of a better word) and just gets progressively more foul with the body and booziness. I'd agree that west coast beers have an element of diminishing returns above a certain point, but east coast ones become undrinkable to my taste

billyandthecloneasaurus

« Reply #1185 on: January 21, 2021, 08:37:41 PM »
also lads, i'm quite eager to expand my beer palette, are there any decent variety pack type things?  I found this one:

https://www.beerhawk.co.uk/the-discovery-case

but i'm quite cynical and assume that those kind of things are likely to be bait for tourist mugs like me...

Shoulders?-Stomach!

• Silver Member
« Reply #1186 on: January 21, 2021, 08:46:30 PM »
also lads, i'm quite eager to expand my beer palette, are there any decent variety pack type things?  I found this one:

https://www.beerhawk.co.uk/the-discovery-case

but i'm quite cynical and assume that those kind of things are likely to be bait for tourist mugs like me...

Sorry to be a pain, but before I advise, what sorts of beer do you enjoy already?

My natural urge is to be cynical but that really is a good selection of beers.

billyandthecloneasaurus

« Reply #1187 on: January 21, 2021, 09:03:13 PM »
Sorry to be a pain, but before I advise, what sorts of beer do you enjoy already?

My natural urge is to be cynical but that really is a good selection of beers.
Apols in advance for my ignorance of terminology etc.

I like a lot of stuff.

I really like stouts, porters, and if a pub has a MILD on tap, I will always go for that.  Chocolate/vanilla/coffee flavours are good to me.  Love a guiness.  Some of the stronger porters have tasted a bit too...boozy for me?  But that might just be that i've had crap ones, rather than me being incompatible with 8%+ porters.

My local sells bottles of chimay, golden draak and delerium and I love all of them in moderation.  I assume they're all vastly different styles of beer, but my basic brain just stores them as "those mad strong european beers they sell at the pub that seem like a good idea when I'm half cut at 11pm"

I like sour beer a lot.  I've had a fair few lambics...are there other similar types of beer?

Can happily put away most supermarket lager, and there's very few pissy british bitters I won't enjoy. 

To be fair, the only stuff I tend not to enjoy are american IPAs that come in purple cans with names like lethal hopjection and fruity pale british ales like bishops farewell.  Taste like shampoo to me. 

Oh, it isn't beer, but i LOVE peaty smokey whisky as well.  laphroig is mega, smells like ashtrays.

Good luck, and thank you.

oh edit: don't really like erdinger either

Shoulders?-Stomach!

• Silver Member
« Reply #1188 on: January 21, 2021, 10:12:05 PM »
So, dark beer of many kinds, lagers, but not wheat beer?

Tbf, I think the selection you posted is a good one. Most of those featured are different to the ones you referenced which would help fulfil the 'discovery aspect'

billyandthecloneasaurus

« Reply #1189 on: January 21, 2021, 10:29:56 PM »
Bingo. Cheers.

Got any specific beers you'd recommend? Especially ones that are reasonably cheap and easily accessible? Thanks love you

Shoulders?-Stomach!

• Silver Member
« Reply #1190 on: January 22, 2021, 11:17:43 PM »
Bingo. Cheers.

Got any specific beers you'd recommend? Especially ones that are reasonably cheap and easily accessible? Thanks love you

https://www.tremblingmadness.co.uk/

I think these guys have a decent range of good German and Belgium beer. Recently some top notch Czech beer from Vinohradsky Pivovar, though that seems to have ended, sadly.

Of the Germans, get pretty much anything called a Kellerbier or Dunkel.

Tags: