Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 11:15:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

BEERS #2 - Beyond the Pale

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, March 30, 2020, 03:56:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

purlieu

Was in Aldi today and noticed their 440ml craft cans are at the bargain price of £1.59! Having largely enjoyed their English ale bottles (mostly Marston's, I think), I thought I'd give them a go.
What a mistake that was.

The Stout About It vanilla stout smells nice, but tastes mostly of candle wax.
The Twice as Nice Double IPA is as if Greene King brewed a strong ale in their usual manuery style in a green, oxidised brass barrel.
We're Jamming, the strawberry lager, instead of being quite refreshing like Camden brewery's take on the style, tastes like San Miguel with a spoonful of strawberry jam mixed in.
Sharp Tongue grapefruit pale is basically a malty English pale with some synthetic fruit flavours. Done very much on the cheap, none of the citrus comes from US hops.

It's certainly given me much more appreciation for standard supermarket craft cans which can sometimes be a bit run-of-the-mill, but actually provide the flavours they're intended to. The four cost me just over £6 and missed the mark in such a staggering manner that I found it funny (and I'm still drunk), so not such a wasted evening, but fucking hell how do they ever expect to sell this stuff over a long period? Last year they had a couple of pretty decent hoppy IPAs which weren't present at all today. Next time I'll stick to their bottled ruby and amber ales I think.

phes

A good friend of mine and a real ale drinker keeps recommending some of these drinks to me and I don't have the heart to tell him that I think they're absolute dogshit. He tried a can of Deya that I had last week and said 'this is unbelievable, it's exploding with flavor' but I know I won't see him for six months and he'll recommend Aldi craft beer again next time I see him

Chedney Honks

Hey dudes, I got like eighteen beers from my guy and he said let me fill the crate for ya, I got a few of your style just outta date. They're like a month outta date, stored in a cellar. One is two months outta.

Can I still drink this stuff? I just said thanks man that's great. We're talking Keller type stuff.

I'm too yong to die!

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Should be fine provided they've been stored correctly. Anything that's designed to really show of its hop character needs drinking ASAP, even well before the best before date. It doesn't go 'bad' as such, but anything that's a living product, especially unfiltered beer, evolves.

Anything on the darker end will likely be absolutely fine a month or two past its best before, and if it's strong it may even develop over time to be nicer.

IPAs and wheat beers seem to go bad quickest for whatever reason. Not much experience with kellerbiers past their best before date.

Ferris

A lager or kellerbier would (probably) be absolutely fine as long as it was stored reasonably well. Might get some extra off flavours especially in the lighter bodied ones that have less body to hide the "wrong notes" (I can't think of the name of the likely one... acetyl maybe? Something like that) but I doubt it - as Shoulders points out, strong beers can be stored for years with no issues.

It won't make you sick or die or anything, just might not be exactly the same as the brewer's intent.

#lgp

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Also next time the cunt lets kellerbier go out of date end the man tell him I'm a guaranteed buyer of last resort. It's heinous to let good beer go to waste*

*serious

Ferris

Yeah what was his plan? Chuck it down the sink: "says it went out of date yesterday so what can you do"?

Chedney Honks

Cheers, lads. I think the plan was just give it away to folk who buy kraut juice so I've benefited there to the tune of six beers. Gonna drink em all tonight and if I die thank you for being based.

purlieu

Death by kellerbier sounds like a pretty decent way to go in the grand scheme of things.

Chedney Honks

The outta date ones are Klosterbrau and Ayinger Urbock.

It's been a pleasure.

king_tubby

I take full advantage of the sporadic appearance of the half price out of date shelf at my local beer shop. Never done me any harm.

purlieu

I had a couple of bottles of the Klosterbrau keller on Friday night. Reet nice they were, too. On the richer end of the style so I reckon they'll be fine.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Chedney Honks on April 06, 2021, 07:40:36 PM
The outta date ones are Klosterbrau and Ayinger Urbock.

It's been a pleasure.

Ayinger Urbock? Ain't no such thing so guessing different brewery or if it is Ayinger, the Celebrator, Maibock or the Winter Bock.

Chedney Honks

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on April 06, 2021, 11:42:34 PM
Ayinger Urbock? Ain't no such thing so guessing different brewery or if it is Ayinger, the Celebrator, Maibock or the Winter Bock.

I was talking absolute nonsense, it's the Jahrhundert.

I did pick up a few Schlenkerla Urbock which my addled brain converged.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Oh yeah. Jahrhundert is nice (all Ayinger is).

My AND UNION beers just arrived. That's home drinking sorted until the boys open the pubs boys.

Ferris

Shoulders?-Stomach!

AND UNION Saturday Lager is decent. Kellerbier/Zwickl thing. Unfiltered, some nice floral spicy notes and satisfying  to drink.

At first I was gonna say unambitious but tbh if this was in a trad brown bottle and called something like Privatklosterbrau Paedo-Schauffler I'd be singing its praises. Got to be fair.

TrenterPercenter

Vinohradsky pivovar 12 pilsner is back on at trembling madness

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Phwoar. Tempted but I am hoping from next week my beers will be the cask ale variety.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Ferris

Chedney Honks

I don't know what it's meant to do because I don't understand beer that well but I'll get one just because

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Just wanna know if it will make me Taste Hero or the Taste Tit

Chedney Honks

Must be Tit but that's never stop me.

I want a device that you can put over a pint glass that sucks it back up into a bottle and caps it for later.

Dex Sawash

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Uh, no

First cask pint of the year today. Kirkstall Three Swords. Not a favourite of mine but it was in good condition and in the sun it disappeared pretty fast after the morning swim.

Nothing like doing that on a work day and getting your work done by close of business to give a smug sense of satisfaction and blinkered feelings of optimism about the world. Ragging it to fuck mate

king_tubby

Bridge or Tap Room? Saw the pics of the set up at the Bridge yesterday, looks even better than last year's with the multiple tents.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: king_tubby on April 12, 2021, 06:35:19 PM
Bridge or Tap Room? Saw the pics of the set up at the Bridge yesterday, looks even better than last year's with the multiple tents.

Bridge. It was pretty quiet, but yes, pretty big set up with the huge tipi and marquee and the uncovered area by the river. I reckon somewhere in the region of 150 capacity.

Chollis

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on April 07, 2021, 11:28:33 PM
Vinohradsky pivovar 12 pilsner is back on at trembling madness

Ordered 12 yesterday and they've already arrived.

think this is my first foray into Czech beers so i'm VERY EXCITED

LGC

TrenterPercenter

Hehe I got 4 and a load of dunkels problem is. I've no time to drink them.