Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:00:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

BEERS #2 - Beyond the Pale

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, March 30, 2020, 03:56:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

itsfredtitmus

Haven't been this pissed for a whilse but turned away from corner shop to get more because my alcoholism was showing too much

Jerzy Bondov

Lol, but also please take care of yourself

itsfredtitmus

Got accused of buying cider for kids outside because I couldn't possibly endure all this alcohol abuse lmao what a ledge (he still served, and I told him to keep the change even though I had the right change)

itsfredtitmus

i want ciggies
i want phenibut
i want xanax
gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme

Jerzy Bondov

I've been asked a few times but never bought booze or fags for youths. "Sorry lads!" I say with a wink, striding into the shop, cool as you like. Then on the way out they kill me and piss on my head

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on May 10, 2021, 09:00:24 PM
I've been asked a few times but never bought booze or fags for youths. "Sorry lads!" I say with a wink, striding into the shop, cool as you like. Then on the way out they kill me and piss on my head
a constant for me, either that or they bully me into handing them a cig and be like "we didn't want it"

Ferris

Bret IPA tonight after a week off (was boozing a bit too regularly). Its a blend - a bret ale matured in white wine barrels (a crisp and light white line is a local specialty so assume it is one of those), plus a "fresh" IPA made with nelson sauvin.

Liking it tbh, even though its in my kolsch glass because I've not run the dishwasher and I'm a lazy bollocks.

Side note - does glass shape really make a difference? I can't see it being more than negligible tbh.

Ferris

Quote from: itsfredtitmus on May 10, 2021, 07:43:58 PM
Haven't been this pissed for a whilse but turned away from corner shop to get more because my alcoholism was showing too much

Just saw your posts - not really the thread for it, but are you alright? What's your situation right now - do you need to vent away in my inbox, because that would be very welcome if you need it. All the best.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteSide note - does glass shape really make a difference? I can't see it being more than negligible tbh.

In a number of subtle ways, I would say so. Some protect the head better which is good for reducing oxidisation. The shape sometimes helps concentrate the aroma which can be an important part of enjoying certain beers.

There are also psychological factors which don't necessarily alter the flavour but do alter the experience. Drinking a very strong beer from a straight pint glass, for example, rather than mulling it over in a chalice with a stem.

That said, craft era glasses have given us nothing, I reckon. Can't think of a single shape that's come along that has done anything for the beer or the experience (other than occasionally make it worse, like with those beakers).

On a similar subject I purchased a 2nd hand 500ml steinkrug, stone mug, which seemed appropriate given all the kellerbiers I've been drinking. The elemental rawness of kellerbier seems to be brought out even further drinking it almost blind from a heavy stone receptacle.

It does show that a lot of the enjoyment factor is tied in with dozens of things combining, some of them nebulous.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Greif Brau Zwickl - Five stars, my friends, five fucking stars. And here in the UK, available to buy:

https://shop.raynvillesuperstore.co.uk/products/zwickl-brauerei-josef-greif-zwickl-5-500ml-bottle?pr_prod_strat=copurchase&pr_rec_pid=6601510289575&pr_ref_pid=6603835572391&pr_seq=uniform

I could and certainly hope to drink this every day for the rest of my life.

Norton Canes

Has there been a list of decent UK beer shops that deliver anywhere on this thread?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I don't think we've put one together ever. This site aggregates them all though, it's very handy.

https://bottleshops.online/

Here is a search for independent UK based bottleshops delivering in the UK, ordered by size of selection:

https://bottleshops.online/?search=adv&shipto=GB&q=&cc=GB&breweries=0&t=&subs=0&lowalc=&ind=1&closed=&sort=beers_desc

Norton Canes

phes

Agreed about the quality of Thornbridge Lukas. It's been comfortably the best draught beer that I've had since I've been able to get out to pubs again (and it's gluten free). The other Thornbridge beers that I tried (Fogo, Green Mountain, Florida Weisse to a lesser extent) were very average. Props to them for creating two core beers of distinction and wide availability in Lukas and Jaipur.

I've not had any decent cask beer recently. This may just be to do with where I've been, but I do worry about the pandemic pushing craft brewers who produce cask and keg towards keg only. This could prove unfounded and it's just an assumption. It seemed a lot already didn't need more reasons with reliability of quality (often average) at the point of pouring a real bugbear for many

Ferris

Would kill for a good cask source near me. The only one in the province (bit of a local legend, started by an expat English fella who missed cask and mild so made his own brewery) is now dead thanks to covid. It's about a 5 minute walk from me (or was) and carked it a few months after I moved nearby, having been in business for 20+ years prior.

Chedney Honks

Salopian Keller is all right. I'm totally spoiled by the good stuff but if I ever see this out again, I'll buy it. The black lager is also equally fine. A fair bit better than the standard dreck and not anywhere near primo Framconio but very quaffable bready shit.

Ferris

feel like pure shit just want cask ale back

Chedney Honks

feel like pure shit just want my whole life ahead of me again 😂😂😂😂😂😂

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Salopian? I just had a look through their list (182 beers? Ffs come on...) and didn't see any lagers. Could it have been Utopian?

phes

Salopian have had a pretty solid core range of about a half dozen cask ales for a good while. Presumably they have a small batch production going alongside this churning out craft beers

Chedney Honks

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on May 14, 2021, 06:43:29 PM
Salopian? I just had a look through their list (182 beers? Ffs come on...) and didn't see any lagers. Could it have been Utopian?

Haha Utopian yeah

Shoulders?-Stomach!

500ml Framconio Steinkrug order from ebay arrived today.

Breaking it in this evening with a Weissenohe Kloster-Sud.

Chedney Honks

Love that stuff, get in the Kloster!

purlieu

A couple of newies from the local offie for this evening, both of which I am looking forward to enormously. Been a while since I tried a new weizenbock.

Ferris

Ordered a "one way growler" from a local brewery - $14 (inc delivery) for 2 litres. That's $3.75 a pint, £2 maybe? And this is 8% double IPA, lovely stuff.

Growler is basically a milk carton filled from a tap though.

phes

promising colour for an ipa

Cuellar

I'm aware of growlers, but what's a 'one-way' growler? What's a 'two-way' growler for that matter. Or three-way god forbid.

Ferris

Quote from: Cuellar on May 14, 2021, 10:43:14 PM
I'm aware of growlers, but what's a 'one-way' growler? What's a 'two-way' growler for that matter. Or three-way god forbid.

A "two-way" growler is a big glass jug that you take to the brewery, they fill it up, you go home and drink it down, then go back and get it filled again. It's a cheap way for breweries to make money from you paying over the odds for draft beer (on top of the charge for the growler, and the loyalty/sunk cost that means you will probably keep coming back).

A "one way" growler means 'here's some booze, now don't bring it back!' which is probably fair enough but quite funny as a concept.

On 3rd pint and fairly smashed watching the new Alan partridge. Waheyyy.

purlieu

Just big takeaway beer then.
Good price for a strong amber IPA though. Wouldn't say no.

Ferris

Quote from: purlieu on May 15, 2021, 12:42:28 AM
Just big takeaway beer then.
Good price for a strong amber IPA though. Wouldn't say no.

Yeah basically - why don't they just call it takeout beer though? Love the idea that this milk jug is actually a sub category of growler so you're not just drinking hooch out a jug you're actually doing craft growler shit.

I'm also pissed, so there's that.