Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:58:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

BEERS #2 - Beyond the Pale

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, March 30, 2020, 03:56:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Oh also there are loads of Nepalese restaurants in York due to historic Gurkha connections to nearby barracks or whatever. Highly recommend giving one a go. All are nice. Yak & Yeti would be my pick. Also vegan friendly if that's a factor.

bgmnts

I found Nepalese food to be a mixed bag when I was over there. The rice, aloo and saag in a dahl they made every morning was absolutely fuckng ACE but when I went out to get a dumpling in a restaurant in Kathmandu, it was so spicy I went through two cokes and a pitcher of water.

Found out at the end of my stay that the family I stayed with had not been adding the usual spice to their meals every day on my account, which was kind of them, so presumably proper Nepalese food is a bit spicy.

Oh, boiled milk curd is fucking rank though. Literally had to shit my guts out about 5 minutes after a handful of it.

Anyway, beer...

Ferris

[ferris voices his dated and generally uninformed opinions about york]I was a semi-regular in one of those "beer above all else" tier ones as a former girlfriend lived directly opposite it, and I thought it was shit (though perhaps it has improved). I was amazed I still remembered the name of it tbh so forgettable was it.[/ferris voices his dated and generally uninformed opinions about york]

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I'm not a massive fan of Maltings or Rook & Gaskill but they do undeniably cover the beer base well.

Ferris

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on May 18, 2021, 05:24:55 PM
I'm not a massive fan of Maltings or Rook & Gaskill but they do undeniably cover the beer base well.

Yeah it was one of those. I'm sure being dirt poor and covered in argument bad vibes didn't help my enjoyment.

Calistan

My local offie has started stocking Einsiedler beers, most of which seem to be fantastic. Just finishing up their dopplebock now which I've had before and will hopefully have again and again. Also a big fan of their Schwarzbier. Wasn't as keen on the Hell Bock but still decent.

phes

I'm still yet to visit the triple-point tap room in Sheffield, which is now approaching a running joke as they are a ten minute walk from me and represent much that I appreciate about beer. They don't fuck about wasting time and energy on trendy branding and image, which I read was their genesis as a brewery that was ready to brew commercially before they had any ideas at all about marketing. They are a lager brewery that also makes a wide range of other styles and are comfortably one of the more interesting breweries that I'm aware of. Most pints of cask and keg are £3-4. It's only about a 5 minute walk from Sheffield station.

Must sort this out asap

https://untappd.com/TriplePointBrewing/beer

Norton Canes

Thanks for all the York reccos - they sound great, will definitely try to get to few. Not sure where we're staying yet (Mrs Canes is keeping that a secret) so don't know which ones will be closest.

Any good shouts for cafes that do veggie breakfasts would be appreciated too

Oh hang on this is the beers thread.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Been to Triple Point, it was alright, hard to give a true rating to the taproom as with distancing it felt a bit soulless indoors. We were parked quite far from anyone else.

I noticed they did a couple of non-typical styles for UK indie craft breweries but none were on at the time.

phes

Hopefully just an underwhelming visit due to covid. I suspect their appeal would suffer more than most craft brewers as I saw a lot of interesting stuff on cask prior to lockdowns 

purlieu

Tripel Karmeliet in Sainsbury's now. That's this evening sorted.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: phes on May 19, 2021, 05:33:02 PM
Hopefully just an underwhelming visit due to covid. I suspect their appeal would suffer more than most craft brewers as I saw a lot of interesting stuff on cask prior to lockdowns

The proximity to the Rutland and Beer Engine linking to antics down London Road makes it a likely destination to return to.

I'm in Sheffield tomorrow but meeting friends and going to super nostalgia haunts: University Arms, Fagans, Red Deer.

king_tubby

Well there's some Proustian moments reading that post. But the University Arms? Don't remember ever going there, was that the staff only pub?

dr beat

Uni Arms isn't staff-only, not at least when I frequented it there, but yes its embedded well within the main campus.

Used to spend a lot of time there around 2005, a few of us used to do the Wednesday night  quiz.  It was great, you got free chips.

king_tubby

Quote from: dr beat on May 19, 2021, 09:56:03 PM
Uni Arms isn't staff-only, not at least when I frequented it there, but yes its embedded well within the main campus.

Used to spend a lot of time there around 2005, a few of us used to do the Wednesday night  quiz.  It was great, you got free chips.

I've Google street viewed and I think it was back when I was at Sheffield University in 1993.

Ferris

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on May 19, 2021, 09:19:25 PM
The proximity to the Rutland and Beer Engine linking to antics down London Road makes it a likely destination to return to.

I'm in Sheffield tomorrow but meeting friends and going to super nostalgia haunts: University Arms, Fagans, Red Deer.

Jammy bastard. Along with the closed shop, hallamshire, and cobham view those are my favourite boozers in Sheffield (and for Fagans... the world maybe?)

Ferris

Quote from: dr beat on May 19, 2021, 09:56:03 PM

Yeah I remember the free chips! It was open to any fucker back in my day, but that was late '00s.

Thought it changed in the last 10 years or so to staff only (or grad students only)? Might be wrong though.

phes

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on May 19, 2021, 10:32:16 PM
Jammy bastard. Along with the closed shop, hallamshire, and cobham view

Cobden?

I've agreed to bother a friend's cats in Crookes whilst she's away for the next couple of months, so fingers crossed I'll be calling in at all three of these a few times

Ferris

Mind's going with age. Used to live on school road so was in there enough to remember. Or perhaps in there enough to forget.

Good boozer anyway.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: king_tubby on May 19, 2021, 09:42:09 PM
Well there's some Proustian moments reading that post. But the University Arms? Don't remember ever going there, was that the staff only pub?

It was previously a private members club for some societies connected to the Uni. Not sure when that changed but has been a handy pub since I first went around 2009. The bar area has a real club rather than pub look to it. A fucking swanky club too, it is like a hunting lodge.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: phes on May 20, 2021, 12:00:58 AM
Cobden?

I've agreed to bother a friend's cats in Crookes whilst she's away for the next couple of months, so fingers crossed I'll be calling in at all three of these a few times

Cobden View, very much a neighbourhood local than somewhere to go for a great range of ales. The garden is great, owner Bodsworth a classic nice guy but too nice for his own good, the best pool table in the city, always immaculate, good folk nights. On the right evening a cracking pub.

Oh shit just realised you were correcting someone's spelling rather than asking about it 😁

phes

Yes agreed on all points through. I've been three times, each time in the day and to use the garden. Much like Fagin's you'll usually find an acceptable pint to stick with and that's all you need in a pub that offers everything else!

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Was upstairs in Shakespeare's yesterday. They have done that up nicely, quite good once a few groups are in. I believe it hosts live music normally but it is quite a change of speed from the downstairs, where I usually/always go. Beer selection was muted by usual standards but still better than most.

Schizo difference between venues. Uni Arms rammed, then literally no one in Fagans, before Shakespeare's was busy.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on May 21, 2021, 08:52:08 AM
https://untp.beer/qndW6

Just.. No

jesus christ! had to check it wasn't some april fool's thing. Prawn cocktail flavour too what on earth are they playing at? It's like something someone would make a joke about while imagining the worst possible post brexit scenario.

enjoyed this though

QuoteEffin rubbish. Fizzy larger with an onion burp. I feel sick.

purlieu

We're close to a novelty beer nadir. I'm all for experimenting with flavours - not a huge fan of NEIPAs, but I'm all for a whole new flavour and texture range coming along - but it would be nice for trendy consensus to get back to beer tasting like beer again.

phes

The popularity of pudding beers took me by surprise and they're now beyond parody eg. double fruited pastry sour with strawberry, raspberry, blackberry and marshmallow. It shouldn't have surprised me as I recall the popularity two years ago of Tiny Rebel's Peaches and Cream IPA, which would comfortably outsell all other craft beers in my local, alongside Beavertown's Gamma Ray/Neck Oil. 

I popped into Sheffield tap yesterday. The three beers I wanted to try from the menu were all off so I selected a Thornbridge Shelby without any investigation. It was basically a traditional cask style beer of no distinction, served from keg. An unremarkable beer conferred with none of the benefits of cask, served ice-cold and costing over a fiver. Turns out it's the official beer of Peaky Blinders. It was sorry and depressing and I gave up halfway through and ordered a Lukas

Triple point on the other hand was very good. Golden ale at 3.30, Helles lager at 3.60 (4%) and 4.60 (5%), single hop citra (basically an Oakham citra clone on keg) at 3.90, ipas (~5%) all well under a fiver and very reasonably priced Baltic Porter and Dopplemaibock, that I'll try another night (both 7-8% and ~£7 pints). Quality of all drinks was great

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteI popped into Sheffield tap yesterday

That chain of pubs are in a real mess at the minute. Bernard supply has vanished, vastly reduced range, some of which have the suspicious look of being panic orders, as they are miles away from what is usually available. Thornbridge is propping up the operation.

Not surprised to read about the Peaky Blinders beer being crap.

phes

Last week I tried one of their own tapped cask brews described as a west coast pale and it was flavorless. Does feel like they're flapping about trying to provide a larger menu and it's unreliable and substandard. They do have weihenstephaner still on the menu but it's been a bit chilly both times I'd passed by and didn't fancy it. I was ready to leave after half of the Shelby yesterday but a fucking monsoon kept me there for another

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Oh one of the punters was mocking Plain Porter by The Porterhouse Brew Co

'Plain LOL! What kind of a name is plain', then had some and theatrically turned his nose up at it. (As far as I recall it's alright?)

I saw myself turning into a Real Ale Twat for a second so didn't bother chirping in to tell him that a pint of plain was the standard order in London and Dublin for decades.