Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 09:13:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

BEERS #2 - Beyond the Pale

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, March 30, 2020, 03:56:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

purlieu

Fucking hell, Shelby is awful. Really subpar supermarket own-brand IPA level of insipidness, just fizzy water with some bitter hop flavour slopping around in it.

Ferris

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on May 22, 2021, 09:04:11 AM
Oh one of the punters was mocking Plain Porter by The Porterhouse Brew Co

'Plain LOL! What kind of a name is plain', then had some and theatrically turned his nose up at it. (As far as I recall it's alright?)

I saw myself turning into a Real Ale Twat for a second so didn't bother chirping in to tell him that a pint of plain was the standard order in London and Dublin for decades.

I have friends from Dublin with whom I went for pints of plain.

(...all the pints, all the pints.

...plain)

phes

As shoulders suggests, something is probably not right there. When you're Sheffield Tap and buying kegs of rubbish beer (that on further investigation places like Aldi are flogging bottled at knockdown prices) and selling it for over a fiver a pint, It's not going to do much for your reputation.

I've seen a few examples of struggling/adapting other the last month. One of my old locals has been selling full price a lot of craft beers that are on or past their best before date. And with the styles of beer, that really matters. Nobody wants to pay £7 for an out of date Wylam/Deya/Verdant. Another old local has - probably in response to a bottle shop with seating opening nearby - stopped selling craft cans, increased its macro lager lines and temporarily halved its cask pumps.

Little things like this and Sheffield Tap feel like early signs that we're going to see a fuckload of places close as brewers struggle to forecast and bars struggle to source the products they're known for, or attempt to limit damage by selling less perishable products.

H-O-W-L

That Lidl Hatherwood stuff is pretty good for the price. I am a cunt with a broke tongue though.

I also tried a tin of their Zoom Time IPA and it was very lovely too.

Norton Canes

Well I'm pleased to say the York trip went very pleasantly. The Blue Bell was just round the corner from our hotel so became our de facto local, ended up there at the end of both nights, first night in the front bar as Ulster Gary held court on the history of York and the second night, because both bars were full, sitting by the Widow's Perch at the side hatch. Unfortunately the House of Trembling Madness at Stonegate was full (we wanted to see the taxidermy displays) but we sat outside enjoying a pint of Ayinger Pils and a ramekin of smoked nuts. The Brew York Beer Hall was decent too, had a palatable pint of 'craft' Pale Ale.

Oh we stumbled into a Brewdog too (yes, I know) where they were serving their own Zwickle (sic) Helles. (Ah, hang on... Googling, it transpires they'd only spelled it incorrectly on the board)

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Glad it worked out so well. I got a few cans of their Zwickl Helles in. Seems to be a product of their Berlin brewery and found it actually pretty good.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Going to Nottingham today. My list of bars and pubs to explore is as follows

Stratford haven, nottingham
King william iv
Lincolnshire Poacher
400 Rabbits - Mezcal bar
Barrel drop
Canalhouse. (been here already)
Salutation
Jerusalem
Vat +fiddle

Any I've missed out that are must sees?

bgmnts

Do you like have a pint in each pub? I think I'd be too pissed to make my way successfully to pub number six.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: bgmnts on May 24, 2021, 10:37:13 AM
Do you like have a pint in each pub? I think I'd be too pissed to make my way successfully to pub number six.

I probably won't get around all of them above, but hopefully most. As for pints, probably only a half in some, also spaced out across the day with a nice gap between afternoon and evening to break it up.

phes

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on May 24, 2021, 10:35:59 AM
Going to Nottingham today. My list of bars and pubs to explore is as follows

Stratford haven, nottingham
King william iv
Lincolnshire Poacher
400 Rabbits - Mezcal bar
Barrel drop
Canalhouse. (been here already)
Salutation
Jerusalem
Vat +fiddle

Any I've missed out that are must sees?

Unfortunately everything I see online suggests The Hand and Heart is now closed, but my guess is you've been there anyway. For cask beer the best thing you can do is get to Beeston and The Crown and The Victoria Hotel. Victoria Hotel is bang next to Beeston station, a few minutes ride from the main station, Crown Inn a ten minute walk from that.

My preference would be to avoid the Salutation and Jerusalem. Been to both a few times out of convenience and neither made that much of an impression, despite the appeal of each

bgmnts

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on May 24, 2021, 10:45:08 AM
I probably won't get around all of them above, but hopefully most. As for pints, probably only a half in some, also spaced out across the day with a nice gap between afternoon and evening to break it up.

Sounds like fun! Let me know which the decent pubs are as I may visit there in the next year or so.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Update: Jerusalem was genuinely great despite usual GK drinks dragging that aspect down. Not sure what more you need to tip the balance. Loads of snugs, fire going, carved rock for ceilings, even the historic stuff wasn't overly tacky. I expect I went at the right time on a Monday with no tourists.

Salutation was not quite worthy of a guide entry, decent enough everyday town boozer and rockers place that just happens to be in a very old building.

I have the Crown in Beeston down already, the Victoria looks really good though too, cheers for that.

TrenterPercenter

Been to the Trip a few times; it's top notch.  Did you dare look at the ghost ship thing they have upstairs (er up-caverns?)

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on May 24, 2021, 04:35:36 PM
Been to the Trip a few times; it's top notch.  Did you dare look at the ghost ship thing they have upstairs (er up-caverns?)

Did indeed, a full poke about. Staff were alright about it.

I am now in the Victoria in Beeston drinking Bass which seemed to be the most fitting thing to have here. Thanks again to phes.

phes

I've not been for several years but last time I went they were still stubbornly standing by a mobile telephone ban in the pub and garden!

Careful now

Shoulders?-Stomach!

If they did, that has been ditched due to track and trace requirements and the online menus. Food good, beer good, pub good. Crown next.

purlieu

The Angel in the Lace Market is pretty decent, usually 10-15 beers on, they tend to have a couple of German taps, the rest are a mix of cask and keg. Modern-ish inside (lots of wood), but not horribly sterile and craft-ish. Probably a bit late now though, eh?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

It is, I'm having mezcal cocktails at 400Rabbits, cheers though.

king_tubby

OK, I've slagged off Northern Monk here in the past for some of their very stupid beers, but I'm currently enjoying a can of their Lanre Bakare and I think it may be one of the best stouts I have ever tasted.

Paul Calf

Quote from: phes on May 24, 2021, 05:45:01 PM
I've not been for several years but last time I went they were still stubbornly standing by a mobile telephone ban in the pub and garden!

Careful now

Yeah, it's a nice pub but it's spoiled a bit by the finicky bossiness of the landlords.

purlieu

Quote from: king_tubby on May 26, 2021, 07:53:48 PM
OK, I've slagged off Northern Monk here in the past for some of their very stupid beers, but I'm currently enjoying a can of their Lanre Bakare and I think it may be one of the best stouts I have ever tasted.
They are very good at stouts, it has to be said. Their Norse Star imperial was bloody great, and I'm very disappointed it's no longer in production.

Chedney Honks

Erdinger Pikantus is very good. No Schneider Aventinus but I would give a thumb up.

king_tubby

I am drinking a bottle of that Tetley's lager people were chatting about the other day, and you know, it's alright. I would pick it over all the other supermarket cooking lagers.

Norton Canes

Augustiner Edelstoff with the Champions League tonight.

Norton Canes

Might go for the Celebrator too

phes

Six pack of assorted pistonhead lager from B&M for a fiver. It's not the best or the worst, but cheap, cold and average is pretty much perfect for a hot champions league evening

Chedney Honks

Having an Erdinger Urweisse, lovely big foamy fella, usual bean juice tang, big dollop of banana on white toast, bit of prickly spice in the background. I'll have a drink of that I'm telling you.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Yeah, it's what the main Erdinger should taste like, and very much like what any good trad hefeweizen should taste like.

phes

I'm having a birra moretti and I rate it 5 stars from 5 in nondescript cold alcohol category. I can see why it is one of the quality beers of choice for world macro lager drinkers as they have perfected not tasting like shit, or of anything at all.