Author Topic: BEERS #2 - Beyond the Pale  (Read 14544 times)

Re: BEERS #2 - Beyond the Pale
« Reply #570 on: May 21, 2020, 03:52:03 PM »
I'm sitting in my garden, soaking up the sunshine, drinking Carlsberg Export.

Yes, I like Carlsberg Export. I think it's very nice.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

• Silver Member
  • I meet the minimum width requirements.
    • http://jackanderton.jamendo.net/
« Reply #571 on: May 21, 2020, 04:39:39 PM »
Did they rebrew that one as well or is it the same as before?

« Reply #572 on: May 21, 2020, 05:38:41 PM »
Not sure, hadn't had it in a while. It was always one of the better 'famous' brand beers though.
I just fancied a few cold lagers and they were by far the best thing Nisa had in the fridge.
Going down a fucking treat.

« Reply #573 on: May 21, 2020, 05:46:38 PM »
Had a mysterious second Schlenkerla Rauchbier and I enjoyed it quite a bit more, drank through the smoke and tasted the beer. Must be amazing next to a proper fire in a proper pub with a plate of chips, mustard and sausages.

BlodwynPig

• The Last Living Member of COVID-20
« Reply #574 on: May 21, 2020, 07:13:48 PM »
Fuck, since my wife left me this BUMPER load of Belgians ain't have disappearing at a rate. Had a night off last night, but having a Gruut Inferno tonight and its tasty, "a reminiscence of those hot gobstoppers you used to get in the 80s and 90s"

Got to save some beers for Saturday zoom*

*I only have 1 a night apart from last Saturday - not descending into alcoholism

Shoulders?-Stomach!

• Silver Member
« Reply #575 on: May 21, 2020, 07:56:59 PM »
Ffs. Apparently Fagans (Sheffield) pub sign has been taken down. If Covid brings a premature death to that pub then I'll never forgive it (like I was planning on).

king_tubby

• You have to be realistic about these things.
« Reply #576 on: May 21, 2020, 09:04:25 PM »
NOOOOOOOO!!!! Though despite living opposite it when I went to university there, I hardly ever went because we were told 'Irishmen' might 'cut' 'students'.

king_tubby

• You have to be realistic about these things.
« Reply #577 on: May 21, 2020, 09:05:15 PM »
Also sometimes Jarvis Cocker was in the Washington and it was cheaper.

« Reply #578 on: May 21, 2020, 10:09:40 PM »
Had a mysterious second Schlenkerla Rauchbier and I enjoyed it quite a bit more, drank through the smoke and tasted the beer. Must be amazing next to a proper fire in a proper pub with a plate of chips, mustard and sausages.

Yeah...it is a weird one, isn't it? You try the first one and think "OK...got it. Tastes like bacon, but this isn't a session beer". Then you have a second and everything suddenly clicks into place. Lovely stuff.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

• Silver Member
« Reply #579 on: May 21, 2020, 10:14:44 PM »
New review

Hutten Zoigl
(German Kellerbier/Zoigl, 5.1%) - **** and a half

This is my first ever Zoigl beer. I have tried examples of 'Landbier', Zwickl, Keller, Vollbier, Rotbier and all the other Urstoff type Franconia brews, but Zoigl is a tradition that has died out in Germany except for a handful of villages in the Upper Palatinate, north east of Nuremberg near the Czech border. Each town has brewing families who share municipal brewing facilities on rotation. When their beer is ready they open their houses for fellow brewers and the public. I have not visited yet but it is a fascinating little quirk and survives on that basis. Here is beer that is both novel and traditional at the same time. Most of it is not commercially available, so this may simply be a beer of its character. Google Maps verifies that the brewery is from very close by.

This is unfiltered lager that belongs in the Kellerbier category. It's naturally tinted brown rather than thickly so. It looks more like a well settled cask English bitter than any lager most people will know. The beer itself is another beaut. Stridently bittersweet with zingy persistent hops. It lands on the tongue with a satisfying tingle and tang. I really hate the description of beer as 'chewy', but in lieu of the liquid-based equivalent word, I'll settle for that. It fills your mouth with gorgeous flavour, it satisfies body and mind (for now).

Enjoying a bottle of this tonight. God damn it's tasty.

Norton Canes

• Watching the Wednesday wheel
« Reply #580 on: May 22, 2020, 03:40:07 PM »
Just a heads-up that beersofeurope.co.uk have got about three quarters of their German beers back in stock, though for how long, who knows. I will try hier-gibts-bier.de at some point but for now, the Kings Lynn boys can ably furnish my needs.

Norton Canes

• Watching the Wednesday wheel
« Reply #581 on: May 22, 2020, 04:10:01 PM »
Ordered...

Monchshof Bock Bier
Neumarkter Lammsbrau Dunkle Weisse Hefeweissbier
Neumarkter Lammsbrau Urstof
Schlenkerla Rauchweizen
Weltenburger Kloster Barock Dunkel
Weihenstephaner Tradition
Weihenstephaner Korbinian
Tucher Bajuvator Doppelbock
Schneider Weisse Tap 7 Unser Original
Kloster Scheyern Doppelbock
Ayinger Brauweisse
Ayinger Ur Weisse
Bischofshof Regensburger Zoigl (the only zoigl they do... let's give it a go :) )

Shoulders?-Stomach!

• Silver Member
« Reply #582 on: May 22, 2020, 05:10:31 PM »
That is good news (and that's a nice haul).

Out of the other ones I can see In Stock, these are either ones I know are delicious or are oddities/rarities I haven't tried but are very highly rated.

Boltens Ur-Alt
Dampfbier (a regional weird one)
Gutmann Hefe and Gutmann Dunkel
Hacker Pschorr Sternweisse (for any fans of Schneider Original)
Hovels Bitterbier (another one-off)
Kapuziner Weissbier Schwarz
Monschof Bock + Keller
Nordbrau 93er
Weltenburger Kloster Asam-Bock

« Reply #583 on: May 22, 2020, 09:20:11 PM »
LGC

Schneider Weisse 07 & 01
Westmalle Dunkel
Westmalle Tripel
Restless Imperial Vietnamese Coffee Milk Porter
Chef Rodley
Straffe Hendrik Quad

LGC

FerriswheelBueller

• CaB rear of the year 2020
  • Silver Member
  • Take it easy, but take it.
    • I am antsy for baseball in the off-season.
« Reply #584 on: May 22, 2020, 09:58:33 PM »
Bought a rake of the local pilsener.

#lgc #rrr

Shoulders?-Stomach!

• Silver Member
« Reply #585 on: May 22, 2020, 09:59:00 PM »
Whats rake eh

Whats rake precious

FerriswheelBueller

• Silver Member
« Reply #586 on: May 22, 2020, 10:23:48 PM »
Whats rake eh

Whats rake precious

https://www.irishslang.info/louth/louth/a-rake

Actually had no idea it was Irish, just thought it was generic “lads” banter. Mind you, most of the laddy lads I go boozing with are from Dublin/Kildare so there you go.

sardines

• give a man a horse
« Reply #587 on: May 23, 2020, 08:31:45 PM »
Ah, Mechelen! I was there during the Indian summer last October. Beautiful place. Honestly, some of the centre is outstanding and I noticed you can get around without pushing past tourists and getting planted onto the cobbles by idiot tour groups and cyclists. Really cheap on a weekend train ticket from Brussels also.

Jumping back to this. It is a rapidly moving * city as a lot of young 'uns are unable to afford the Leuven, Antwerp, Brussels triangle so the bar scene starts to become pretty decent.
Aside from Hannekeef, the other classic is Den Stillen Genieter. Possibly between locations when you were here. Gérard the owner is either a legend or a health and safety risk depending on your tolerance. He takes 15 mins to throw a book at you containing a ridiculous amount of great beers and if you are lucky he may even take your order 30 mins later.

Took a short drive today into the country to Hof ten Doormal. A farmhouse brewery in the classic sense. Came back with around 30 bottles from their selection of sours and saisons brewed with their own grains and fruit.

*well by Belgian standards

FerriswheelBueller

• Silver Member
« Reply #588 on: May 23, 2020, 08:35:49 PM »
Bought a rake of the local pilsener.

#lgc #rrr

Ended up working until after 9, opened one can, drank half and tipped they rest away. Pathetic.

#lngc

Shoulders?-Stomach!

• Silver Member
« Reply #589 on: May 23, 2020, 08:43:38 PM »
Thanks for the bar recommendation. Waiting so long for a beer doesn't sound amazing but the bar does look good and I can see a few comments already referring to the 'character' in charge. I'll pop that one on the map.

BlodwynPig

• The Last Living Member of COVID-20
« Reply #590 on: May 23, 2020, 08:45:13 PM »
On the Delirium Black now - stunning, like a oaky single malt whisky.

Blue Jam

• From the mind of Ricky Gervais
« Reply #591 on: May 23, 2020, 11:35:03 PM »
Sipping on a Straffe Hendrik Quad like nobody's business. Great stuff. Well worth taking a good hour over it, defo opens up the malty depths and even gets a little tart in the finish. At 11%, not really a working lunch style bevvy but WFH? LGC

Got one of these with my Beer Merchants order. Enjoying it now. You are not wrong.

Cuntbeaks

• Where you fay?
« Reply #592 on: May 24, 2020, 12:49:49 AM »
Given the recent delivery times from BIAB, I've placed an order before I acually need one. £129 all in.

--   Hanssens Oude Gueuze 37.5 cl   
1   4,90 €
--   Hanssens Oude Kriek 37.5 cl   
1   6,00 €
--   Hanssens Oudbeitje 37.5 cl   
1   5,90 €
--   Hanssens Cassis Lambic 37.5 cl   
1   7,50 €
--   Hanssens Schaarbeekse Kriek 37.5 cl   
1   8,30 €
--   Hanssens Framboos 37.5 cl   
1   6,99 €
--   Wilderen Kanunnik Tripel 33 cl   
2   2,70 €
--   Ginger Tipple 13% 33 cl   
1   3,30 €
--   Liefmans Kriek-Brut 33 cl   
7   2,70 €
--   Rodenbach Alexander 33 cl   
8   2,60 €
--   Rodenbach Grand Cru 6-Pack + FREE Rodenbach Grand Cru Glass   
1   15,50 €
--   La Trappe Quadrupel 33 cl   
2   2,90 €
--   Corsendonk Brewery Pack (10-Pack) + FREE Corsendonk Bottle & Glass
1   25,50 €

Shoulders?-Stomach!

• Silver Member
« Reply #593 on: May 24, 2020, 12:50:51 AM »
Holy shit. That order is not fucking around even slightly.

End Level Boss

« Reply #594 on: May 24, 2020, 02:22:28 AM »
Girl friend bought be a load of half-bottles of Lindemans as apology for dumping a new cat on me. We aye. :)

- Lindeman's Gueze
+ Lindeman's cheap kriek, apple, blackcurrant.

Have to say that blending the cheap lindeman's with Guiness Export Stout is very nice. Might be a bit pissed an might be the blending equivalent of snakebite but it works for me. TBF Guiness Export Stout is really nice anyway but adding a bit of of sweet fruit to it doesn't do any harm whatsoever.

Extra stout and Gueze is definitely the best budget blending mix mind. Delicious. Going to try to triple up.

« Reply #595 on: May 24, 2020, 01:05:31 PM »
Didn't realise Kwak and Tripel Karmaliet are made by the same brewery. Had those last night alongside a Brugse Zot Dubbel, a Wieninger Impulsator and a couple of unremarkable IPAs. The Impulsator was ok. Kloster Scheyern Poculator and the Weihenstephan Korbinian have been the nicest doppelbocks I've had thus far and will be hard to beat.

« Reply #596 on: May 24, 2020, 04:51:21 PM »
Having an OG lovely Schneider Weisse Tap 01 in a hot bath with lots of lovely bubbles to watch the daily corono briefing. If Cumdumpster don't get binned, I'm smashing my glass and slitting my wrists, ankles and neck.  😂

« Reply #597 on: May 24, 2020, 04:52:55 PM »
Got one of these with my Beer Merchants order. Enjoying it now. You are not wrong.

Great stuff, glad to hear it. It is a good un! I've got one left but defo on my list for the re-up.

Jerzy Bondov

• best not bother
    • righto so ive got five minutes off work and uh yeah im gonna have a cheeky volvic
« Reply #598 on: May 24, 2020, 08:35:57 PM »
I just want to say I have no way of expressing myself about beer beyond 'really nice' or 'fucking rank piss' but I am really enjoying reading this thread, especially during lockdown. Please keep posting beers.

My friend who is really into craft beer and says things like 'chewy mouthfeel' and 'eminently crushable' told me that Salt Beer Factory Ikat Ddh Double is the best craft beer you can get in a supermarket so I thought fuck it and it's waiting for me in the fridge. It has a pink can and is from Yorkshire.
Finally got around to drinking this. I poured it into a pint glass and it looked nice. I smelled it and it smelled nice. I then drank it and was dismayed to discover that it was fucking rank piss. Furthermore it cost three pounds fifty. Absolutely raging but I drank it all. It grew on me as it went on but not to the extent I was pleased to have spent three pounds fifty. It was 8% though so I did get a good buzz going and began to annoy my wife with ‘funny’ ‘banter’.

I also had Your Joke is Factually Inaccurate, a Schwarzbier from Boundary with a terrible name but a lovely taste. Roasty, malty, nice as fuck. That’s my limit of beer describing.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

• Silver Member
« Reply #599 on: May 24, 2020, 11:32:34 PM »
I don't rate Salt beer factory as a stand out brewer, their stuff I have tried tastes by-the-numbers and seems bandwagon jumping in terms of their offer. The Ikat has a very high rating on Untappd. I expect most double dry hopped India pale ales will not be up your street then.

I will always try a Schwarzbier, will keep a look out for that one.

Tags: