Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 06:24:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

BEERS #2 - Beyond the Pale

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, March 30, 2020, 03:56:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abnormal Palm

Purlieu, I liked that strawberry lager, too.

I'll check out your choices, as well.

Retinend, tell it like it is, son.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: purlieu on March 30, 2020, 08:50:41 PM
Pilsner Urqell, if you can find it, is probably as good a bottled lager as you'll find in a supermarket.
Yes, I agree on this - problem is the two shops that sell it that I know of in South Manchester are a bit of a trek away: can get 6x300ml cans for £6 in Sainsburys or 500ml bottles for £1.50 each in Morrisons. Tescos (at least the one near me) stopped selling it, bastards.

I do agree it tastes totally wonderful on tap, albeit pricey (at least here, probably less so in Prague or whatever) but the cans/bottles are a good enough substitute for me, as my Friday night treat to myself for surviving a work week. It'll be a right fucker doing without till who knows when.

Retinend

Retinend

It just struck me that there are a million places on earth where every one of them probably has some really good beer in it. Beer is really good, isn't it?

Retinend

Quote from: purlieu on March 30, 2020, 08:33:32 PM
Well this looks bloody great.
Here's my haul from last week:

you two just went for the instaest labels

tipplesters

Shoulders?-Stomach!

purlieu now reduced to removing and selling the wallpaper in his property to get more beer money.

AND QUITE RIGHT

BlodwynPig

Latest order

What are Silly beers?

Abnormal Palm

Corsendonk Rousse vs. Gulden Draak 9000 Quadruple

hummingofevil

Quote from: sardines on March 31, 2020, 06:38:51 PM
Ah then trying not to derail the topic. I'm leaning towards getting through the next few weeks by diving into some aged Cantillons and a couple of Drie Fonteinens. It never seems the right time...

I know it is not the idea of the question but my problem with ordering Westvleteren from one of the online 'hawkers' (arf) is that I'm guessing for around the same price you could buy a St Bernadus Abt 12, De Struise Pannepot and a couple of Rocheforts. Sure you don't have the cred of having drank Westvleteren but you've probably had a much better night.

I was about to post this here. I have had 3 bottles of Westvleteren and I just cannot accept that it is any nicer than the Rocheforts which you can pick up for 1/20th of the price in a Belgian supermarket.

I second De Struise. I have had them twice. Once in Red Rose Cafe in Bruges and one in Amere et L'Amere a Boire in Brussels (actually I think I had a pannepot on tap in North in Leeds too - three times). The base pannepot is superb but barrel aged ones are majestic. The red wine barrel aged bottle I had in Brussels was without doubt the nicest beer I have ever had and they charged me 10 Euros for a 37cl bottle and threw in my girlfriend's half a blonde for nowt. Not bad compared with what you would pay for the nicest glass of wine in the world.

I do love proper German lagers. Rehills had a couple of new ones in a few weeks ago (I rarely buy expensive beer anymore after voluntarily taking a year off work and then a 50% pay cut and then involuntarily lost my job to the corona) but for the purposes of this thread I will go grab a couple and feedback to you all. :)

When all this is over Belgium is top of the list for a holiday.

Edit: and if you all really want a treat get hold of Schiender Weiss Avenitus EISBOCK. If you don't know the style it's basically the Avenitus (I agree with all of you - heaven) but freeze it and skim off the ice to make a higher ABV version. I genuinely gives you a little rush that is like taking a very mild pill. You can feel your forehead pulling your eyelids up. Amazing.

I am mates with Rob who is Blackjack Brewery and he told me he once did one for a beer festival. Started the day at 6% and kept skimming. By end of the night he reckons it was pushing 25% and people in tears after a 3rd of it. Ha ha.

Ferris

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on March 31, 2020, 07:37:19 PM
There is a lot of hype around Westvleteren that seems disproportionately based on scarcity rather. When I hear Americans loudly calling them 'Westy' I just want to murder them all. How casual.

Next time I'm in Belgium I ought to just front up and try one, even if they are usually €10-20 Euros. Only live the once. It's one of only 2 Trappist breweries I haven't tried beer from (Other is Cardena but that's not yet officially recognised)

*Tripel Monasterio San Pedro de Cardeña on Untappd  http://untp.beer/3wL7

Had a Westvleteren 12 while out drinking with one BlodwynPig. $40 a bottle, but at one of the very few places that sell it anywhere (and I'm not sure they're supposed to). It was an end of the night "oh what the hell" purchase and I stand by it as I likely won't have it again.

It was very nice, but I'm not sure it was up to the hype. The bar we were in specialized in Belgian and continental European beers and had a few that I thought were better (like the Rodenbach grand cru or the Orvel). One man's opinion of course.

Abnormal Palm

Retinend, love that you're on some breakdown tier shit these days. Hope you're doing OK and just having fun.

I just ordered some chalices for my marathon beer drinking session. I better hope they arrive before the damn beers.

Can you drink a Rochefort straight out of the bottle? Half joke but also a genuine curiosity.

What's the benefits of drinking a beer from a big cup? Do they breathe like wine or bourbon? Is it aromas?

I once drenk a Pauvel Kwak out of some kind of wooden chemistry configuration thing. Edit. This:

phes

I was let to believe it was aromas, open surface area etc

Abnormal Palm

Cheers. I also think you can quaff it five times faster from a cup unless you do a strawpedo.

Fuck. I wonder if any human alive has strawpedoed a Westvleteren. One for the list.

purlieu

I love the Kwak glass. Totally unnecessary, really, but always makes it seem more special.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

A shitter to drink out of too, the narrow middle sloshes the beer through when you're past halfway. It is difficult to drink in a gainly way, often far too much than you'd want lurching towards your face.

But wooden stand tho and yes I would take that over drinking beer from a fucking glass beaker (cheers again, craft scene). Or a jam jar (that trend seems to be coming to an end thankfully)

sardines

Quote from: Abnormal Palm on April 01, 2020, 07:19:52 AM
Fuck. I wonder if any human alive has strawpedoed a Westvleteren. One for the list.

I have a 10 year old Westvleteren 12 in the garage. If I get fucked with this virus, I'll do exactly that and report back before I cark it.

Brigadier Pompous

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on March 30, 2020, 03:56:03 PM
I picked up 12 x Bocktoberfest Doppelbock 440m cans from Vocation & Co for £34

Just ordered 24 of these bad boys, they had better be good!

king_tubby

Are GREVENSTEINER HELLES and/or GREVENSTEINER KELLERBIER any good, as they have just appeared on my local brewery's online delivery shop.

Pseudopath

Quote from: king_tubby on April 01, 2020, 12:58:52 PM
Are GREVENSTEINER HELLES and/or GREVENSTEINER KELLERBIER any good, as they have just appeared on my local brewery's online delivery shop.

Only tried it once, but I remember the Kellerbier being fairly decent. Not the best example of the style, but solid nonetheless.

DrGreggles

Just paid Vocation & Co a visit.
Case ordered - discounted and free shipping!

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Brigadier Pompous on April 01, 2020, 11:54:29 AM
Just ordered 24 of these bad boys, they had better be good!

Haha, no nerves here. Been loving them.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Seems Morrisons have stepped up their Belgian range in larger stores.

Not just Leffe, Hoegaarden, Bacchus etc.

I saw Kwak, Kasteel Rouge, Blanche de Bruxelles and bought Westmalle Tripel (!) and Timmermans Oude Gueze (!!)

Pseudopath

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on April 01, 2020, 09:36:20 PM
Westmalle Tripel (!) and Timmermans Oude Gueze (!!)

Oy oy! Let's have a sniff of this. #FuckTheLockdown

BlodwynPig

Arrivé

A gentle mix of Peruvian, Croatian, Dutch, Belgian, UK, Russian, Latvian, French, Corsican, and Madeiran beers

The Culture Bunker

Great.

And what do you have for tomorrow?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

A real range there.

I like Pietra lager by the way, a nice chestnut element I wasn't expecting that worked well. Apparently they use chestnut flour.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on April 02, 2020, 07:38:55 PM
Great.

And what do you have for tomorrow?

My uncle said the same...mainly because he knows I don't drink much

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on April 02, 2020, 07:39:25 PM
A real range there.

I like Pietra lager by the way, a nice chestnut element I wasn't expecting that worked well. Apparently they use chestnut flour.

FUCK YEAH - Great factoid, chestnut flour beer - that's why I loved it.

So far:

Zwyntje : reasonable but not really my taste, nice pig on the front though, 5.5/10
Cusquena Red : decent, caramelly lager from Peru, may not be good for the more tropical regions but at altitude would be perfect, 7/10

Ferris

Is that a Baltika 0? I didn't know such a thing existed.

Drank a rake of Baltika 3s and 7s (?) in Moscow - the Russian releases have screwcaps, and a screwcap grip opener pressed into the bottom so you can use one bottle to open another and get pissed up on the street no bother.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on April 02, 2020, 07:58:45 PM
Is that a Baltika 0? I didn't know such a thing existed.

Drank a rake of Baltika 3s and 7s (?) in Moscow - the Russian releases have screwcaps, and a screwcap grip opener pressed into the bottom so you can use one bottle to open another and get pissed up on the street no bother.

My wife informs me that Baltika is the worst product in Russia and that they used to spike it with drugs so that the masses would get hooked on it.

I believe her.