Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:30:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

BEERS #2 - Beyond the Pale

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, March 30, 2020, 03:56:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I love Rodenbach Grand Cru.

Hanssens Kriek is more gnarly than that then?

Cuntbeaks

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on July 18, 2020, 08:16:56 AM
I love Rodenbach Grand Cru.

Hanssens Kriek is more gnarly than that then?
They're poles apart. The Hanssens is the closest I've come to drinking straight vinegar. Horrendous.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

No mention of vinegar in the flavour description I just read, unlike Bourgogne de Flandres which is a famously vinegary Flanders red. Could have been a bad bottle? Either way I am intrigued.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Some updates on my trip to Bavaria

Weltenburger Abbey - very busy but a beautiful place and the ferry along Danube Gorge to reach it is well worth the excursion. Their Asam Bock is magnificent. Served in a steinkrug too.

Weisses Brauhaus - Schneider Weisse beer hall in Kelheim. A nice venue but disappointingly only 1 of its entire range on tap. Couldn't believe it. That was a venue on my beer bucket list.

Kneitinger - A really nice big brewpub in Regensburg with very cool old Gaststatte room. Their beers are terrific from the Munich Dunkel to the Sommerbier, a kind of ambery helles.

Bierwerk - it still remains the place in Nuremberg to try Franconian beers. The lineup was a who's who in local brewing. Incredible. Had a Wiethaler Landbier. So smooth when compared with the bottled stuff.

Chedney Honks

Have a Vector Ventinus on me!

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Chedney Honks on July 20, 2020, 09:03:11 AM
Have a Vector Ventinus on me!

Prost! Btw, You would shit your hazmat pants spending longer than 5 minutes in Bavaria.

Chedney Honks

Proper Schinken territory! I'm not surprised.

Have a good un and I'll enjoy the reports 🍻

OF YOUR DEATH

king_tubby

Shit news for me and Shoulders, Beer-Ritz in Headingley is closing.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: king_tubby on July 20, 2020, 12:10:37 PM

That's terrible news. Any idea why?

king_tubby

No, they just tweeted that they were closing the shop. Online orders will continue.

I'd guess Covid, it's not like they were in a good location for footfall anyway and three months shut can't have helped.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I only gave them sympathy business lately as they have been overpriced for a while. But if they go online I have no reason to use them.

king_tubby

I spent 30 quid there yesterday.

Have you seen the prices in Growlers? Fucking robdogs. I suppose I'm going to have to bike up to Hop Shack now for cans, seeing as Village Liquor is never open when I go by.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Yeah haven't been there for a while as the whole operation has turned into a wind up really. Used to be able to get good stuff to take out and drink in for between £3.20-4.80 only 2-3 years ago.

phes

Quote from: king_tubby on July 20, 2020, 12:10:37 PM

Oh that's rotten news. Used to love the long walk up there to pick up treats. Aside from covid I wonder if they've been a victim of their location and the rise in popularity of craft beers. Once upon a time it was one of the only shops, now presumably there's a handful better located and most bars doing takeout

It's alright just turning into a Beer-Blockbuster.

Chedney Honks

I would KILL for a nice beer - just not as much as Shoulders 😂😂😂

Pseudopath

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on July 20, 2020, 08:07:03 AM
Kneitinger - A really nice big brewpub in Regensburg with very cool old Gaststatte room. Their beers are terrific from the Munich Dunkel to the Sommerbier, a kind of ambery helles.

Bierwerk - it still remains the place in Nuremberg to try Franconian beers. The lineup was a who's who in local brewing. Incredible. Had a Wiethaler Landbier. So smooth when compared with the bottled stuff.

Nice. Planning some day trips to Regensburg and Nürnberg when I next visit Munich, so will check out these fine establishments.

Ferris

Quote from: Pseudopath on July 20, 2020, 10:05:43 PM
Nice. Planning some day trips to Regensburg and Nürnberg when I next visit Munich, so will check out these fine establishments.

Went to the Andechs brewery via the S-Bahn on my stag. It was well good, so try and sneak that in for a day.

Pseudopath

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on July 21, 2020, 01:29:23 AM
Went to the Andechs brewery via the S-Bahn on my stag. It was well good, so try and sneak that in for a day.

That sounds like a plan. Did the Paulaner brewery tour last time I visited Munich, but I think the guide had just broken up with her boyfriend and kept bursting into tears throughout the tour. Was also unfortunate enough to visit on the day they were bottling Spezi (although I certainly can't complain about the amount of Weißbier they chucked down my neck afterwards).

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Bamberg REPORT

Schlenkerla - open and as good as ever. After a 1st in the biergarten we were able to move into the Schanke, the main pub room where the stuff is dispensed direct from the barrel. Quiet inside as people were out in the sunshine.

Fassla - Bit of a drab interior but nice range of range of beers

Spezial - only accepting visitors for dining.

Heading to Landbierparadies on Wodanstrasse in Nuremberg later today.

Ferris

Quote from: Pseudopath on July 21, 2020, 02:40:26 AM
That sounds like a plan. Did the Paulaner brewery tour last time I visited Munich, but I think the guide had just broken up with her boyfriend and kept bursting into tears throughout the tour. Was also unfortunate enough to visit on the day they were bottling Spezi (although I certainly can't complain about the amount of Weißbier they chucked down my neck afterwards).

That's really funny and bleak. Perfect combo.

Had a blazing row with an ex girlfriend in the beautiful town of Tergensee. Another place worth visiting if you're in and around Munich.

My wife's gone to a beautiful town near Munich.

Tergensee?

No, it's a beer tasting trip.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

My partner had Spezi earlier. Loved it.

Guess you could say she likes it Spezi

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Just been to Forchheim. 3 days before Annafest starts. Glorious sunshine, no crowds

Neder is still brilliant. Barrel kellerbier for 2.60 and a really cool old pub with serving hatch.

Frankisch Bierstube has the amazing Mauerscheisser which was as good as I remember.

Now in Furth at Keimling drinking their haus dunkel, a really rich lovely beer.

One of the best 3 beers in a row for quite a while.

king_tubby

Chedney Honks

Too bad I won't be drinking their watered down rust wash ever again

Pseudopath

Just ripped up my Hook Norton Brewery tour voucher in protest. Granted, it did expire in September 2013 but I think it still sends a strong message.

Chedney Honks

I will teach these people the true meaning of DOOM BAR

Jerzy Bondov

Doom Bar isn't on there, that's Sharps. Good old lovely local Sharps (owned by Molson Coors). I do like a Wolf Rock mind you.

king_tubby

Remember when Doom Bar was good?