Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:47:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

BEERS #2 - Beyond the Pale

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, March 30, 2020, 03:56:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Very sad to see this selfishness, but this is a by-product of the factionalism in UK brewing. Some faintly terrified breweries with mature and quite unfashionable brands with a slowly dying out audience defending their position that has been othered by the craft scene. Granted, cunts and decent people across the board too.

Chedney Honks

English beer has the thinnest taste of any drink, including water.

DocDaneeka

I do like a pint of Landlord every now and then but I don't think the bottled stuff is up to much as with most English ales.

Chedney Honks

I don't mind a pint of local English ale, but it usually has less flavour than simply breathing in.

phes

Quote from: king_tubby on July 21, 2020, 08:59:43 PM
Handy list of breweries to yeet, if confirmed.

https://twitter.com/gaedd/status/1285611601547137024

Worth reading the thread as the initial list is inaccurate. Really glad to see Magic Rock are not on there. They always seemed a sound bunch and though they'll have lost their place in many bottle shops everything I've read suggests they've tried to responsibly balance the interests of their team, the local community and beer generally. The big inaccuracies seem to be Harbour and Beavertown who have both released statements distancing themselves

king_tubby

king_tubby

Shoulders?-Stomach!

king_tubby

Yeah like read my posts, bastard.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: king_tubby on July 22, 2020, 07:58:53 PM
Yeah like read my posts, bastard.

I did, perhaps the order I read them suggested their statement was false.

Chedney Honks

I've said it once and I'll say it again and again:

Feel like pure shit just wanna go to Framconia

phes

Shout out for small bar on King Street Bristol which I think must be a left handed giant outlet. They have some good lager and wheat beers all made by LHG. Pilsners, Vienna Lagers, Steam Beers, Hefeweizen, India Pale and West Coast Pale Lagers whatever they are. Bit of a treat to find one good lager, let alone several!

Ferris

Done the big move lads, everything in a suitcase and fuck you later to Toronto. 8 years of Ontario beer expertise down the SHITTER.

Different province means different government-owned distribution for hooch so there will be basically no crossover as local breweries typically don't bother paying duty to ship over provincial lines. I know very little about the breweries or imports in Nova Scotia so I'm back to square one. Out of quarantine and off to the liquor store in 11 days.

Let the games begin.

Ferris

Looking up breweries near me for the RAMPAGE when I'm out of quarantine. Look at the state of these cunts "unfiltered brewery", but what's their url?

https://unfuckingfiltered.com/

Ooh so edgy. The beer's quite good, but I just can't continue to patronize such a Nathan Barley endeavour.

Sebastian Cobb

Lidl sells two cheap lagers, Perlenbacher and Bavaria. Perlenbacher is really good, but unfortunately comes in screw top bottles so less good for homebrew, which has pushed me on to Bavaria. It tastes fine, I guess, but makes me flatulent in a way no other beer has and also gives me a sore head the next day even with moderate amounts.

Ferris

I've always wondered how beer does that. Guinness seems to put an absolute hex on me, but it is basically exactly the same as any other beer (ie malty water, hop extract, some yeast).

Why does it make me feel like dirt when (say) Beau's Lug Tread has me fresh as a daisy the next morning.

BlodwynPig

QuoteBeau's Lug Tread

The most North American sounding beer ever.

Cuntbeaks

Tried another one from my Hanssens batch, this time it was the Cassis. No where near as foul as the Oude Kriek, still unapologeticly sour but it mellowed in the glass. Had a vaguely meaty taste, unctuous with only a very vague fruit taste. Warmed to it more towards the end, but wouldn't buy again.

Pseudopath

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on August 14, 2020, 07:42:52 PM
Lidl sells two cheap lagers, Perlenbacher and Bavaria. Perlenbacher is really good, but unfortunately comes in screw top bottles so less good for homebrew, which has pushed me on to Bavaria. It tastes fine, I guess, but makes me flatulent in a way no other beer has and also gives me a sore head the next day even with moderate amounts.

I've always been inordinately bothered by the fact the Bavaria brewery is based in the Netherlands. Talk about misleading.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

So in the big Aldi/Lidl showdown what is better from Rheinbacher/Perlenbacher?

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on August 14, 2020, 07:42:52 PM
I remember they used to sell that for a quid a bottle in the Tescos near where I live. Not sure if that was overpriced or not.

As for Aldi, Rheinbacher is alright, but I prefer that other stuff, the name of which escapes me at the moment, that is £4 for 6x330ml bottles.

Chedney Honks

The halcyon era of lockdown, waiting on orders from The Belgian Beer Company and the like, drinking English Trappist clove piss, Chef Rodley Grand Cru, and putting a Corsendonk on it. Feeling like pure shit and just wanting to go to Framconia.

Days are gone.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

As a signoff I drank my final beer from the Hier-Gibts-Bier.de packs, a Wansielder Doppelbock. Wonderful stuff I was saving for a rainy day. The day arrived, had dey time, now gone. Binned and done.

That brought the curtain down on the Drink In era for me.

I received a Flavourly box for my birthday from work colleagues. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth and all that but the beers are fucking aids toilet khmer rouge paedo caretaker level wank and I can't wait to upgrade them to piss and then eject them into the metaphorical and literal sewer system of history. Biowaste nonentity bullshit.

Ferris

Out of quarantine on Thursday. Straight into the liquor to pick up some beer and cannabis drinks which are the new thing round here. 2mg of THC per can so just the one will do me. Could be good, could be good.

https://www.tweed.com/en/cannabis-infused-drinks-beverages

Emma Raducanu

What do you reckon to this?

I've been drinking this on a nightly basis for the past 2 nights. Yeh man, that's 2 bottles of beer I've drunk this summer.

But JESUS is this the best LAGER I've ever had from a supermarket. I was on the Pilsner Urquell express train until I met this bitch.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

13° Jantarova (Amber Lager, 4.9%) ****
Vinohradsky Pivovar, Prague, Czechia

I haven't done one of these reviews for a while as pubs have been open and I've been leaving out home drinking. However I was in York yesterday and popped into House of Trembling Madness to discover that local distributory James Clay & Sons have supplied them with the above beer (among 4 or 5 others) from fairly new kid on the block brewery, Vinohradsky Pivovar, which was (as of 2013) and still is a popular modern brewpub in Prague's Vinohrady (wine hills) district.

I quite like their branding as it simultaneously looks old and new. There's a fine line when going retro, but increasingly breweries are finding it, with Uneticky Pivovar and the recent rebranded Tetley's as good examples.

Anyway, I only had space for 2 beers so picked up Hopf Dunkel Weisse and this 13° amber lager from Prague.

The denominations of amber/semi-dark lagers in Czechia are very hard to wrap your head around, but Jantarova, as I understand it, is similar to vollbier/landbier in Bavaria. It's amber, full flavoured, malty and floral bitterness. But of course, there's the inimitable Czech flavour going on as well. So really, this is a great beer, combining rural Bavarian kellerbier with Czech brewing techniques. The latter accounts for it's ridiculously high drinkability considering the flavour. It lasted 20 minutes and I already feel like I have had 3 too few.

Just like its branding, it is both modern and traditional in harmony with one another.

Anyone in Yorkshire should search local bottleshops for this one - it's lovely!

Ferris

I forgot to post my beery tour around Halifax. It's been quite a change, I don't recognize any breweries so every trip to the liquor store is a crap shoot (and an expensive one - a tin of beer is $5, so 4 cans would be about 13 quid. Sometimes more. Getting a poor one ruins your evening).

Initial thoughts - there's a lot less of a craft scene here. All restaurants and bars will have a solid selection from the 4 or 5 more "established" craft breweries, maybe one or two options from the smaller guys. It all feels a fair few years behind Toronto or the UK, you can still find those absurd 9% poorly brewed astringent IPAs that were fucking everywhere in 2012 and I've seen at least one brewery using warrior and magnum hops as aroma/late additions, to the point of including it prominently on the can. That says to me the brewery doesn't really know what it is doing, but neither does Joe Public because that wouldn't fly with metro Toronto beer nerds.

I've found that an IPA is a very good indicator of a brewery's overall output - if they can get this right, the rest of their stuff is likely worth trying. So far, I've been impressed with Roof Hound, Breton Brewing, Big Spruce, Nine Locks and whatever North Brewing have rebranded to (Compass or something?)

The smaller breweries I've walked to and visited with Ferris Jr have been good so far, including Unfiltered with their wanky URL and Good Robot who I'd rate higher if they weren't selling an utter abomination in cans called "terpene ale" which looks and tastes like washing up leavings. Rest of their stuff is very good though. Two Crows have some solid stuff, but also one which was the worst beer I've had since moving here. I considered tipping in down the sink it was so bad. It had big 2011 "we don't know what we're doing but we read about hops in a brewing book from the 1970s" energy.

I straight up do not get the ubiquity or Boxing Rock, Garrison, or Propellor breweries. Bang average at best, but been operating from the beginning of the craft beer boom so I guess they've wormed their way in.

It looks like I'm going to have to start importing my own beer across provincial lines which is an expensive pain in the arse, and also dust off my brewing gear. The stupid level of tax on alcohol means there is a very healthy home brewing community here which is awesome, and I suspect I'd be able to match the level of commercial beer available without too much hassle. Such is life.

Sorry, no one has to read that boring esoteric wall of text. Apologies.

Ferris

^Shoulders that's a lovely can design by the way.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Yeah, even the logo is pretty clever as far as stuff like that goes.

QuoteSorry, no one has to read that boring esoteric wall of text. Apologies.

I'd like to be able to contribute something in response to that. The only thing I can think of is to point out you do not mean Halifax, West Yorkshire.

Ferris

I do not. I imagine I'd be able to get a better range of beers at a Yorkshire tesco metro there than here to be honest.

Still, we live in hope. Only just got started and going to the shops in a sec so I'm going to roll the dice again.