Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:56:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

BEERS #2 - Beyond the Pale

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, March 30, 2020, 03:56:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sardines

Quote from: DocDaneeka on October 09, 2020, 02:38:25 PM
Not got the new Rochefort Triple extra Blond? Come on sort it out Shoulders!

I was less than 30k from Rochefort s couple of weeks ago and couldn't find this anywhere. Starting to think those monks are fucking with us.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on October 29, 2020, 08:54:51 PM
Fair play 12 cans for a tenner is amazing.

They are 330ml ones just to be ckear

Chedney Honks

Bamberger Spezial Rauch

Schlenkerla Marzen Rauch

Puttner Zoigl

Ayinger Urweisse

Spaten Oktoberfest

Ferris

Quote from: Chedney Honks on October 31, 2020, 09:07:08 PM
Bamberger Spezial Rauch

Schlenkerla Marzen Rauch

Puttner Zoigl

Ayinger Urweisse

Spaten Oktoberfest

HS Art has let itself go.

Chedney Honks

I laughed, and not because I was pissed.

DrGreggles

Lockdown = more online beer orders

This thread will come in handy - again.

Chedney Honks

I drink so much Zoigl now my wife calls it Zoidberg. She's never even watched Futurama because she doesn't like any nerd stuff. Don't know where she even heard it!

🤓🤓🤓

JaDanketies

This link will get you 50% off your first case of beers from Beer 52. I think it's 8 beers for £12.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Chedney Honks on November 03, 2020, 05:48:36 PM
I drink so much Zoigl now my wife calls it Zoidberg. She's never even watched Futurama because she doesn't like any nerd stuff. Don't know where she even heard it!

🤓🤓🤓

Lockdown#2 so first knock knock was Hier-Gibts-Bier.de

Their Zoigl stock seems to be diminished or they just didn't have as much as I remember.

Looking forward to the classics though. Paul Puttner, Wurth, Belsen

Chedney Honks

Last weekend I had so many Puttner I barely made it out the wreckage. Wonderful stuff and many thanks for getting me onto this brown gold. I got a handful of Rotbier I've also been really enjoying once in a while. Keller, Rot, Zoigl, Jarhundert, Marzen. Encore, Alain!

My life is basically on hold til Jan so I decided to learn how to code, watch movie and drink bier.

Ferris

Here's one for you both: I took a look at the "import" section of the liquor store here in Halifax and it was fucking desolate. 3 tins of Heineken and a couple of aldi-tier weissbeers I'd never heard of. Will take a sneaky photo next time I'm in there.

The local craft stuff (particularly darker beers which I guess is a regional thing) are all decent to good so I'm doing alright but you pair would be besides yourselves.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

What's the beer shipping situation like? I hears it's pretty desolate in North America so guess Halifax may be a particularly bad example.

Ferris

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on November 03, 2020, 11:21:16 PM
What's the beer shipping situation like? I hears it's pretty desolate in North America so guess Halifax may be a particularly bad example.

Beer shipping? By a private citizen?! Oh ho ho somebody has never had to tangle with Canadian customs.

You cannot import beer privately*. Everything must be done through the provincial government, you can put in a request with them to import stuff for you but there are minimums (think it was 48 cans in Ontario, Christ knows what it is here) and you pay through the nose for it.

The system inadvertently supports a lot of smaller local breweries because it is so easy for them to compete (the going rate for beer is ~3 quid a can so not hard to turn a profit) and a similarly healthy homebrewing scene, but it is absolute shit if you want a half decent range of imports. Never massively bothered me, but I think you'd go bananas in a week or two.

*I think you can technically ship it and declare it but I suspect the customs people would smash it to bits, charge you 10 quid a can to be on the safe side, then ship the remnants to you at great expense. My parents sent me a bottle of port about 10 years ago (despite me begging them not to). After a 2hr drive, it cost me $42 to get it from the clutches of local customs office.

thugler

Quote from: JaDanketies on November 03, 2020, 06:08:22 PM
This link will get you 50% off your first case of beers from Beer 52. I think it's 8 beers for £12.

I would warn that cancelling after you get your cheap box is a pain in the arse. You have to phone up and wait in a queue.. Took me 15 minutes to get through

Shoulders?-Stomach!

And the beer is unexciting (no surprise given it's cheap).

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Angrew Lloyg Wegger on October 29, 2020, 08:48:37 PM
Seconding all Pilsner Urquell praise. Went to Prague in January last year where they served it basically everywhere and since then it's been my go to always got some In the cupboard beer. Especially since Tesco are now doing it 12 for a tenner.
I'm assuming this is online, as they've not sold it in the shops near me for a couple of years now - have to tram up to Morrison's to buy the 500ml bottles for £1.50 a pop, which is reasonable value.

ASFTSN

Never posted in this thread. If I say I drank two bottles of Timothy Taylor's Landlord yesterday and had forgotten how much I enjoy that beer, am I going to get laughed out of it? The thread not the beer.

king_tubby

A decent pint, though I preferred the old style bottle.

ASFTSN

The landlord on the label looks like he's about 4ft tall.

DrGreggles

Ordered this at the weekend and got a shipping email this morning.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I don't really drink Landlord in bottles, or other normally cask beers not on cask if I can help it.

Quality varies widely (as does price around here) but at its best, a superb pint.

JaDanketies

I quite like my Beer 52 delivery. I look forward to it the moment I get the dispatch email and then drink em all in a couple of days. They always send some interesting and weird beers, and it's nice for someone else to choose my beers for me.

phes

It's not a bad box from what I've seen. Part uninspired stuff that you could get in a supermarket thesedays, but usually has a few more interesting beers in there too.

Tales of getting stung for a pricey craft beer then. Can anyone beat this? I stopped in Friends of Ham in Leeds a couple of days back for some food and drink before getting the train. Know it well, it's never been cheap but it has great food and lots of beers. Table service, no menu in sight, ask if they've got a west coast beer and he brings me a half of Brick's West Coast DIPA. Delicious, excellent dipa, fresh, busting with flavor, satisfying bitterness, just a touch chewy bodied. Very good beer. I eat and have two more of the same beer as it's excellent. Three halves of beer, in Leeds: £21. Almost choked. Rarely quibble about the cost of beer when it's good. I like small brewers (and bars that stock their wares). Despite a lot of samey stuff out there, it's still where the most unusual, innovative and often - but not always - best stuff is found. And I don't hold against them the cost of what they produce and desire to be able to make/pay an acceptable wage. But... but... £7, for a half, for 284ml? I've seen those kind of prices for 10-14% Imperial stout before but never for a DIPA

man it was good though. I'd have been bleeding from the ears if it had been average

king_tubby

Ha, not been there for a while but you've always needed deep pockets.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

That really is up there for 'let's just see if anyone will pay it' gouging. Not overly surprised from that place. Not sure I have been since a guy working there told me 'I don't really get cask'. He was a really smug little shit.

This DIPA is brewed in the UK using a typical grain bill (for craft beer anyway), it's 8% so at most in a big city centre bar that should be £5 to 5.50 a half.

Ferris

Yeah that's egregious. The difference in ingredient costs between an IPA and a DIPA to brew ~40 pints would be about 8 quid?

I'd fucking love a chance to sell my hooch for $22 a pint, don't blame them for trying but you really shouldn't pay that much for it. Agree with Shoulders price assessment there, though even that seems a bit much for a half.

phes

Friends of Ham gets something of a pass from me as one of life's pleasures is running up an extravagant tab eating and drinking in there and missing your train.

Back in 2013/14 when they opened a typical dipa would have set you back about £3.50 for a half. I didn't check the menu but I expect £7 is the absolute top end of a dipa. It's a London brewery, so perhaps the beer is more expensive? Though I noted in a bottle shop in Sheffield's moor market that a typical Kernal IPA/dipa 330ml is £3.60 and a pale 500ml of about 5.5% is £4.20. They're still cheaper by a good £1, and better, than many other UK craft IPA/pale/neipa brewers

Ferris

I remember kernel were a very good for IPAs last time I was in London. That is all I have to contribute to commentary on contemporary UK craft breweries. Oh and pressure drop brewery were similarly excellent. Ok that's everything.

phes

Pressure Drop still make excellent beer.

Anyone had problems with cask beer during the pandemic? Think I gave up after about the 4th or 5th beer in a row that was borderline or completely gone. Even my local where I'd been previously living in Worcester that had kept beers well before the pandemic was putting on beers that were gone 24-48 hours after opening.

I realise this may sound like I've been having a massive covidy piss up at granddad's expense, but in most cases I'll only go to the pub when it's quiet and I can sit outside.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

After pubs reopened in July cask was great pretty much everywhere, I found. In some cases mindblowing how much better it was than normal. More recently it has been a little more variable and fair to state the average has dropped a touch. Haven't had a single pint worth taking back though.