Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 01:09:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

victorian day

Started by Goldentony, March 30, 2020, 11:13:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goldentony

why was this a thing into the 1990's? I had one in infants when our regular teacher was up the kwai and we had this horrible fucking replacement who when you got in trouble would yell really loud and tell you when she was a kid pre motorcar you'd get hit with a cane and volleyed and all sorts. So on top of being fucking miserable already, losing interest in work in what's a turning point in my underdevelopment into a toilet wall we now had a day where you had to sit in silence or balance a plate on your head, pledge alliegance to the king, read some shit book about a poor house and pretend back to the future hadnt come out. We had to dress up as absolute fucking cunts too in rags and hats and shite.

SECOND ONE we had an entire day in a fucking stately mansion on the outskirts of the posh bit of here where you had to choose between being a butler, which I went for, the lady of the house, the maids who everyone fucking gave loads of guff to and some other thing, Victorian Day so i'm guessing some inbred kid in line for the throne, and at the end we had to take these shit gifts to the heads of the house and remember some long rambling message to tell them and when literally every other set of kids went over they all just went MERRY CHRISTMAS and me and the other kid ad to go AND THE MERCY SEAT IS A WAITIN' and all sorts, which typing this out now makes me think it was a bet between all of them. Plus we had to write references and everyone put hours in and made them look great so when we handed them over and the butler tit put them sealed in a drawer and never mentioned them it was a kick in the arse.

What is the point of this shit day for fucking twats? does it still happen

touchingcloth

I was schooled in the 90s, and this never happened. Did you actually go to school in Victorian times but forgot?

idunnosomename

i went to school on victorian day and got pneumonia and a burden of imperial guilt

Goldentony

what the fuck, where did you go to school

ollyboro

You sure you weren't in a school play? Or perhaps you'd had a breakdown.

imitationleather

Went to one of those hipster schools.

Goldentony

I am not having this, I started this thread for an answer and now i'm getting this shit

gib

Marner and Me

I remember having this once. Can't remember much about it.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Yes we had one and I am overjoyed that this wasn't some weird child-sweet-induced hallucination. Some kid kept deliberately fucking up their calligraphy and got 'caned' (the teacher took them out of the room, thwacked a ruler against a desk a few times and drew red biro lines across the kid's wrist. I think. Hopefully). This was in Essex in 2000 if that helps

ollyboro

At the start of your second paragraph; called Second One, you say you chose to be the butler. At the end of the paragraph you appear to refer to yourself as "the butler tit". What the fuck's going on?

gib

Zero Gravitas

Yes this happened in the 90s, I have a shoebox somewhere with my exceptionally illegible dip pen handwriting, along with another from second world war day where I've drawn some kind of anthropomorphic peach-shaped, swastika-emblazoned, flaming-eyed personification of the evils of profligate wartime spending leading to hyper-inflation.

touchingcloth

Are you thinking of non- uniform day, and forgetting that you only own Victorian clothes?

Goldentony

Quote from: ollyboro on March 31, 2020, 12:10:58 AM
At the start of your second paragraph; called Second One, you say you chose to be the butler. At the end of the paragraph you appear to refer to yourself as "the butler tit". What the fuck's going on?

oh yeah sorry, the guy playing the butler, the head one, then loads of lads in their uniforms but white gloves and big blackadder 3 socks

Spudgun

I went on one of those Victorian days. A bunch of us decided beforehand that it was stupid and we weren't going to bother dressing up for it, but on the day only I saw the protest through. So there's all my mates turning up as chimney sweeps and Oliver Twist types, while I'm in my normal school uniform with everyone looking at me disapprovingly. Ultimately I just about got through the day by taking my jumper off and declaring myself to be a rich Victorian, but that was a life lesson well and truly learnt at the age of 11.

JesusAndYourBush

When I was 12, at the end of the year each class had a kindof party with sandwiches and cake etc except my teacher was the history teacher and when she unveiled the food she pulled a cunts trick of giving us some bits of really hard bread.  I want to say there was also cheese to put on it but I'm not sure of that detail, but I think we had a glass of water.  Her justification was because that's what they'd have had "in the olden days" or somesuch guff.  We didn't have to dress up though.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Zero Gravitas on March 31, 2020, 12:16:20 AM
...where I've drawn some kind of anthropomorphic peach-shaped, swastika-emblazoned, flaming-eyed personification of the evils of profligate wartime spending leading to hyper-inflation.

The Squander Bug?

thenoise

We had to bash up rocks with a hammer at Morwellham Quay so that we could get in the heads of Victorian children forced to work down the mines. I absolutely loved it, despite the untraditional goggles and gloves I had to wear. Oh but you would hate it if you had to do it all day for one bowl of gruel. Nope, not buying it Miss, I'm loving it and it sounds better than school and I love porridge anyway.

buzby

We covered the Industrial Revolution and Victorian era leading up to WWI in junior school in mid-80s Liverpool as part of the history curriculum, including a visit to Quarry Bank Mill near Manchester Airport. I also made a model of Stephenson's Rocket to demonstate how steam engines worked that got entered in a science fair at the University (the teacher, Miss Evans,  took me over to the Catholic Cathedral cafe for some chips after we had set the display up). The schools TV series How We Used To Live was covering the same era at the time (series 5, I think).

Petey Pate

This definitely happened at my primary school and my main memory is that the teacher went a bit militaristic during 'drill'. Can't see shouting about 'our glorious British army across the empire' while making children march up and down a courtyard washing in today's climate.

Paul Calf

Cuellar

We had this. Everyone came into school dressed as chimney sweeps, Victorian ladies etc. I didn't because I thought it would be embarrassing and I'd look silly. In the end, I was the only one NOT dressed as a Victorian so I ended up being embarrassed and looking silly. This taught me an important fact about life (it didn't).

9 years old, I was.

Buelligan

Quote from: buzby on March 31, 2020, 08:24:02 AM
We covered the Industrial Revolution and Victorian era leading up to WWI in junior school in mid-80s Liverpool as part of the history curriculum, including a visit to Quarry Bank Mill near Manchester Airport. I also made a model of Stephenson's Rocket to demonstate how steam engines worked that got entered in a science fair at the University (the teacher, Miss Evans,  took me over to the Catholic Cathedral cafe for some chips after we had set the display up). The schools TV series How We Used To Live was covering the same era at the time (series 5, I think).

Did the Montgolfier bros. balloon, I was about 7 or 8.  It was stunning.  I was pleased as punch, put in hours.  Of course the cunt teacher decided that my parents must have done it so she just gave me a disapproving look.  She hadn't met my parents at that point. 

idunnosomename

i dressed up as jack the ripper and murdered five girls who'd dressed up as prostitutes

H-O-W-L

Yes, I had one too. We went to a nearby stately manor and it was shit. All we did was sit around and listen to them talk about the house, we didn't get to actually act Victorian at all. Learnt fuck all.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

They stuffed five of my classmates up a chimney. Still there.

Thomas

We had this. We all wore flat caps and went to a stately home like the one Goldentony mentions. We had to decorate bottles of Panda Pop as though they were 'ginger beer'. Scrap of paper, orange crayon, sellotape. It was exciting because we knew that beer was naughty.

At the mansion we made sugar mice. Once home, my friend's brother dropped his mouse, and it was lightly smushed into the carpet. 'Oh,' bemoaned his mother. 'You can't eat that now.' No, Ruth, he can't. But I can. They left the room, and in my flat cap I stooped to pick delicious icing sugar from the rug. It was as though I had never left the manor.

I read that (and reread it) as you all dressed up in cat flaps and was trying to work out the significance of that to making sugar mice at a stately home.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

We had Cro-Magnon Day Standard School Trip where we got to throw rocks at the heads of large animals and carve erections on the wall in Manganese