Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:16:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Alien: Isolation

Started by bgmnts, April 01, 2020, 10:08:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

Don't want to derail the survival horror thread with this masterpiece but I have just stsrted a Nightmare difficulty run having not played the game in years.

Gerald hasn't even shown up yet and I am already feeling physically ill due to the tension. Might actually poo myself.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

As a massive fan of the first two good Alien films, I can't being myself to dislike this that much, but it's far from a masterpiece.

bgmnts

I'll admit its overlong.

But considering the absolute state of the gaming industry, its a brilliant game.

bgmnts

Gerald and robots are active, game on.

bgmnts

Okay its not a masterpiece but I admire its purity.

Abnormal Palm

I don't mean that, it just seemed funny in the middle of the night

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: bgmnts on April 01, 2020, 10:08:10 PM
this masterpiece
Quote from: bgmnts on April 01, 2020, 10:17:03 PM
I'll admit its overlong.
Quote from: bgmnts on April 02, 2020, 11:39:31 PM
Okay its not a masterpiece
Keep going. Document your ongoing disillusionment.

Also, [tag]Covid: Isolation[/tag]

bgmnts

Nah I'm at the correct level now. Its really really really good but not without flaws, like most of the best games.

Nightmare mode is a pisstake though.

Sin Agog

Jezus.  Apparently even aliens over 70 have to self-isolate.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Hide and Seek: The Video Gamr

Clownbaby

My copy has arrived after I kept hearing about how good it was from reviews and recommendations so I'm looking forward to giving it a go. I've been listlessly trudging around Far Cry 4 so II need some tension in my life my god please let me not be disappointed and unscared by a scary game

If this is shit though I will bitch because I have had my fill of shit bland games at the moment

Blue Jam

Started another run of this earlier today. Incredible and genuinely scary game but not without its flaws. Currently trying to get the battery for the thing I just picked up in the elevator and I swear the four twats patrolling about all have ESP. I haven't even run into the xenomorph yet and I'm already more frustrated than scared.

I'm only playing on Normal as well, found Hard too frustrating the first time. As for Nightmare- bgmnts, either you know all the maps incredibly well or you're much, much braver than I am.

Also that save system is inexcusable in this day and age.

Clownbaby

Quote from: Blue Jam on April 04, 2020, 12:32:30 AM

Now that is something I don't like. The frustration of not being able to clear an objective is enough in itself

bgmnts

Started another run of this earlier today. Incredible and genuinely scary game but not without its flaws. Currently trying to get the battery for the thing I just picked up in the elevator and I swear the four twats patrolling about all have ESP. I haven't even run into the xenomorph yet and I'm already more frustrated than scared.

I'm only playing on Normal as well, found Hard too frustrating the first time. As for Nightmare- bgmnts, either you know all the maps incredibly well or you're much, much braver than I am.

I have just shut down the core reactor and am nearing the end game.

Have died quite a few times obviously but managed to get through the nest in 3 deaths which isn't bad going.

The Alien wasn't even the major problem, although it did shit me up once or twice.

As for maps, thankfully the motion sensor still works for pointing out objectives so it wasn't too bad. I haven't played this since around 2016 so I had no map in my head, just followed the marker and explored. I did accidentally go to a few wrong places on the trams a few times though.

And finally yes, saving is fucking crap but it JUST about works due to the low tech future aesthetic.

bgmnts

Finished it on Nightmare AND without killing anyone.

Cold Meat Platter

Disagree. The save system is integral to the challenge. You look forward to hearing the annoying fucking BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP noise that in any other game would mean you are about to die but here is sweet relief after the 3 absurdly tension filled seconds in which you are free to look around to look for the shiny bonced cunt that is probably preparing its lethal proctology exam.

Clownbaby

Just been playing this for a few hours and I'm liking the atmosphere and the old-futuristic aesthetic. Haven't met an alien yet but I'm very early in the game. I dunno if it's my PS3 or telly or what but there is a fair bit of screen tearing that I don't see in most of my other games. I have got a shit telly and a very old fat PS3 so this probably isn't the case for anyone else

I actually got a genuine fright from a noise at one point which I'm pleased about and generally ever happens to me anymore when I watch horror movies or play horror games partly becauese I'm dead inside probably and partly because scares are so woodenly planned out in things. So that was nice.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

^ Don't you have a PS4/Xbox One? It came out for them too.

Clownbaby

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on April 05, 2020, 06:15:24 PM
^ Don't you have a PS4/Xbox One? It came out for them too.

I do but what I don't have is much money at the moment and a PS3 copy was cheaper, I got it for £7 when it would have been £17

I have quite a few games on PS3 that came out on PS4 as well, that run on my PS3 very smoothly (Last Of Us) but this one is a bit judder at points. Doesn't cause any problems though

idunnosomename

im trying to score 9m on one ball on the pinball table of it so i can unlock the Aliens table i actually want to play but maybe i should just use my google play credit already

Sleep well

Clownbaby

I was stuck on the 3rd objective where you take the tuner from by the door and sneak past 3 people to get to the elevator and I got caught again and again by them as I tried to figure out how the fuck you avoid them. I was crouched behind tables, went in the opposite direction to them, set off the speakers to distract them, nah, apparently they all have ESP.

I thought "one more fucking go" and sneaked up the stairs on the right, disn't see them for a while but could hear them talking, saw them all come round a corner at once and I froze by a locked door thinking "well I can't go anywhere without being in their line of sight might as well just wait to die" Nope. They walked straight past me in a cluster and even turned their heads in the direction of the door I was so obviously crouching in front of and walked straight past. Bit strange, must have been a glitch or a lucky blind spot. Bit of a shame when you don't even try and somehow succeed in a game, but you don't know what you even did to succeed. Kind of glad it happened though because I was sick of doing that same bit over and over and over

Blue Jam

I'm stuck on that bit too. Managed to kill two of them with the wrench but now the remaining two now know where I am and are waiting by the door to ambush me, and my health is low...

bgmnts

I just lucked out big time I recall.

Humans and androids are the real pains in the arse on Nightmare mode. And you can't even make a racket to attract Gerald to chomp their faces off.

Blue Jam

I was trying to remember how I did it so much more easily the first time. Just gave up today and loaded a mission save (mission 3), ran into the elevator, grabbed the tuner and just ran like fuck up the stairs and hid in that cafeteria-type area. I had been taking completely the wrong approach earlier, d'oh.

I think Prey has spoiled me by giving players so many different ways to solve a problem. Oh well, got me a gun now, that may make A:I a bit less frustrating.

Noodle Lizard

I abandoned it after 9 or 10 hours (so about halfway through), but it's very good and bastard hard at times. I think by the end of my time with it I was more scared of the androids than the alien, they're a right bunch of prefects.

Cold Meat Platter

If you are playing on PC there is a mod called Alias Isolation that will add proper anti-aliasing to the game.
Looks fucking great.
Lots of love,
CMP

Cold Meat Platter

Also, this is only £1.50 on Steam just now which is obviously a deranged price for such a great game. All DLCs are reduced too.