Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 01:27:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Am I wrong for thinking that celebrating Rose McGowan's Irishness is white power

Started by Dewt, April 03, 2020, 06:43:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dewt

Bear with me here

But I got into it with somebody celebrating her spunk (careful) based on her "being Irish". I did my usual thing I do with Americans of asking what people who are actually culturally Irish get to call themselves if everyone in Boston gets to be Irish, and they fell into that trap of saying she is of Irish heritage.

Now, Rose McGowan isn't from Irish culture at all, she never lived there and isn't even second-generation Irish. She just has pale skin and a Mc in her name. So I pointed out that this person is celebrating that she's somehow genetically Irish, and suggesting that they're projecting superior qualities on to her via the notion of being racially Irish, which should be a very unfashionable idea comparable to the obvious red alert claim that you have good qualities based your German bloodline.

Am I wrong or do you think I can call this person a big fucking racist tomorrow, thanks

Edit: I know this all sounds very woke but it's essentially just me trying to piss somebody off because there are annoying me. No virtue involved

sirhenry

That's going a bit far - calling someone a racist just because their name starts with 'MC'. You're on dangerous ground there - Is Ronald McDonald racist? Escher? Lars? Is this[nb]Over half a billion views! Yes![/nb]?

Paul Calf

Dewt

Yes, but the fact that you replied to this shows that you could theoretically relate to this even if you couldn't bring yourself to do something as radical as understand it.

And Paul, people caring about different things is part of what makes the world as large not as dull as you

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Yeah attributing behavioural stereotypes to yourself from an identity you don't share but just wish you did is what we call Arseholing.

Paul Calf

Quote from: Dewt on April 03, 2020, 07:11:06 AM
Yes, but the fact that you replied to this shows that you could theoretically relate to this even if you couldn't bring yourself to do something as radical as understand it.

And Paul, people caring about different things is part of what makes the world as large not as dull as you

I'm just saying, if it's causing you undue stress there's an option to, you know, not give a fuck and realise that there are perhaps more pressing issues you can attend to if you're really wedded to the idea of painting your bedroom black and buying a ticket in the attention raffle.

Paul Calf

Dewt

I'm interested in asking questions about things and learning more

You're interested in declaring your life experiences complete before you're an old man and going on a quest to stifle any spark you see in other people

Try as you do, you can't successfully offend people, you just make them feel sad and frustrated I think.

Inspector Norse

Quote from: Dewt on April 03, 2020, 06:43:11 AMNow, Rose McGowan isn't from Irish culture at all, she never lived there and isn't even second-generation Irish. She just has pale skin and a Mc in her name. So I pointed out that this person is celebrating that she's somehow genetically Irish

It's enough for Jack Charlton

Inspector Norse

I'm not sure why this person is celebrating her based on her being Irish in the first place. Would s/he not be celebrating her if she were Welsh? Or Dutch? Or Georgian or Cook Island Māori?

Why do so many people want to be Irish?

Dewt

Because they don't have any culture of their own

A little sprinkling of Irish seasoning

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Inspector Norse on April 03, 2020, 09:11:35 AM
I'm not sure why this person is celebrating her based on her being Irish in the first place. Would s/he not be celebrating her if she were Welsh? Or Dutch? Or Georgian or Cook Island Māori?

I wish I wasn't, but apparently I am

My mate lived with an American at university who practically painted himself green for St Patrick's Day. Really jacked about it. He couldn't understand that here it's little more than an exercise in selling Guinness and my mate took great glee in pointing out that like so many in NW England, he's actually significantly more Irish than the American chap with the family tree to prove it.

They're an odd bunch. Utterly obsessed over this kind of heritage while also being fundamentally averse to 'the foreign lads' generally. Was reading something this morning about how Asian Americans should really highlight their Americanness in solidarity against the virus. Utterly obsessed with identity. Even if it's ostensibly the various flavours of right types who think they should focus more on their American identity.

bgmnts

Quote from: Inspector Norse on April 03, 2020, 09:11:35 AM

You dont get a full day's pissup on 'St Patty's Day' if you're Cook Island Māori do you?

Sebastian Cobb

Who is Rose McGowan and why should I care?

At the moment I feel like I've wandered into a conversation and been asked my opinion on something with no no knowledge of the discussion that led up to it.

Dewt

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 03, 2020, 10:00:37 AM
Who is Rose McGowan and why should I care?

At the moment I feel like I've wandered into a conversation and been asked my opinion on something with no no knowledge of the discussion that led up to it.
Participation in conversations is not mandatory Sebastian

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Dewt on April 03, 2020, 10:03:26 AM
Participation in conversations is not mandatory Sebastian

It's not but you started it with a direct question. Why should I feel left out due to your laziness.

Dewt

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 03, 2020, 10:07:23 AM
Why should I feel left out due to your laziness.
I am going to use my magical powers of ignoring a question and not answer this.

Cerys

Surely if she were Irish she'd be Rose NiGowan, which as a name in the US has no unfortunate racist connotations at all.

Paul Calf

Quote from: Dewt on April 03, 2020, 07:49:15 AM
I'm interested in asking questions about things and learning more

You're interested in declaring your life experiences complete before you're an old man and going on a quest to stifle any spark you see in other people

Try as you do, you can't successfully offend people, you just make them feel sad and frustrated I think.

You're mistaken. I would never try to offend you.

It'd be too easy.

kittens

i have never even heard of 'ireland'! why have you not explained every single concept to me?? i have never heard of 'posting on a website'? why have you not explained what posting on a website is? you do know there is such a thing as only making threads about topics that specifically interest me don't you?

imitationleather

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Dewt on April 03, 2020, 10:14:28 AM
I am going to use my magical powers of ignoring a question and not answer this.
It's a shame your magical powers don't prevent you from getting UPSET, online.

Old Nehamkin

Americans have some really fucking weird notions about white ethnicity.

Some people on this forum have some really fucking weird notions about needing to moan about threads that don't directly interest them.

imitationleather

Well I think that SOME PEOPLE on this forum are rather passive aggressive.

Be active aggressive like a real poster.

dissolute ocelot

Is this like all those wankers doing DNA tests and saying "I get my passion and love of life from my 3% Spanish DNA"?

Dewt

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 03, 2020, 10:51:37 AM
It's a shame your magical powers don't prevent you from getting UPSET, online.
Of course I get upset online I'm a human being processing social interactions. What are you stupid

"hah, not an impassive psychopath eh?"

earl_sleek