Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 01:47:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Am I wrong for thinking that celebrating Rose McGowan's Irishness is white power

Started by Dewt, April 03, 2020, 06:43:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

idunnosomename

who is this person. if i search her wikipedia page for "irish" i get that she said she would have joined the IRA if she'd grown up in Belfast. so yes, she sounds quite a bit of a dodgy. but arent all celebrities basically narcissistic psychopaths deep down

imitationleather

I was open-minded until I heard about her IRA comments.

She should have said she'd have been in the UVF!

Danger Man

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 03, 2020, 10:51:37 AM
It's a shame your magical powers don't prevent you from getting UPSET, online.

He's toughening up, it has to be said.

In the old days my first post would have triggered the fuck out of him.  I'll try gain.

Danger Man

She's an IRA sympathiser like Jeremy Corbyn but you could probably rape Jeremy Corbyn for fifty quid.

Cerys

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Dewt on April 03, 2020, 11:07:17 AM
Of course I get upset online I'm a human being processing social interactions. What are you stupid

"hah, not an impassive psychopath eh?"

Being a wetty is a virtue actually!

I think there's a difference between being emotionless and getting emotional about minor infractions of cunts I've never met.

Ray Travez

If Rose McGowan is not Irish, or second-gen Irish, then it does seem a bit weird to attribute her attitudes to her Irishness. Maybe it's like a homeopathic Irishness?

I wouldn't necessarily call it 'racist' though.

Fry

Is this like how it annoys me when the Red Scare girls go on about how Russian they are an how it informs their identity and actions despite clearly being fairly standard white American millennial women for whom the idea of living in anywhere other than a coastal US city would be horrifying.

"What's red scare, why are you talking about things I don't know about. I don't understand this how dare it exist on this forum wahhhh"

Paul Calf

Quote from: Dewt on April 03, 2020, 11:07:17 AM
Of course I get upset online I'm a human being processing social interactions. What are you stupid

"hah, not an impassive psychopath eh?"

Confirmed for bot.

JesusAndYourBush

I thought you were talking about one of Strawberry Switchblade but that's Rose McDowall.

Quote from: Dewt on April 03, 2020, 06:43:11 AM...and they fell into that trap of saying she is of Irish heritage.

Surely everyone is of (something) heritage if you trace your family tree back far enough.  Probably a mixture of lots of (something)'s.  Or are you suggesting she's pure Irish all the way down?  But then Irish people will have Celtic or Anglo-Saxon heritage, and Celts & Anglo-Saxons will have (something-else) heritage.  It all becomes meaningless.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: drummersaredeaf on April 03, 2020, 09:49:36 AM
My mate lived with an American at university who practically painted himself green for St Patrick's Day. Really jacked about it. He couldn't understand that here it's little more than an exercise in selling Guinness and my mate took great glee in pointing out that like so many in NW England, he's actually significantly more Irish than the American chap with the family tree to prove it.

I was living in Chicago for a while and discovered that they dyed the river green every year for St. Patrick's "week"

Sebastian Cobb

As a fairly accomplished piss artist I've always found St Paddy's day a pain in the arse.

One of my mates used to love it because he loved guiness and could drink for free because of the amount of enthusiastic youngsters who'd buy 4 pints to get a free hat, take a sip and realised they didn't like it leaving 3 untouched pints at the bar for him to take before they got tipped away.

Paul Calf

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on April 03, 2020, 01:06:18 PM
I thought you were talking about one of Strawberry Switchblade but that's Rose McDowall.

Surely everyone is of (something) heritage if you trace your family tree back far enough.  Probably a mixture of lots of (something)'s.  Or are you suggesting she's pure Irish all the way down?  But then Irish people will have Celtic or Anglo-Saxon heritage, and Celts & Anglo-Saxons will have (something-else) heritage.  It all becomes meaningless.

You only have to go back about 1000 years, and everyone alive at that time was an ancestor of everyone alive today.

Ireland is older than 1000 years.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

touchingcloth

Could she have meant it in the sense that McGowan has a lot of ire. Have you seen that Rose? She's being well irish again, all he did was tie his robe badly.

Marner and Me

Americans are morons, they will claim they are Irish, Italian or Scottish then proclaim to tell you the last relative from there was from the 1870s and they couldn't point to the country on a map. It is like America has no culture at all apart from being big brash and loud.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Why do they never proclaim their English heritage in the same way? Or Welsh, for that matter. It's always Irish, Scots Irish (whatever the fuck that is) or, to a lesser extent, Scottish.

earl_sleek

Didn't the old Norse raep the fuck out of the medieval Irish anyway? Everyone from Northern Europe is essentially Scandinavian.

Spiteface

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on April 03, 2020, 03:52:20 PM
Why do they never proclaim their English heritage in the same way? Or Welsh, for that matter.

I can shed some light on the latter.

Welsh nationalism is one of the most half-arsed kinds. It's posting "Cymru am byth" on Facebook when a Rugby match is on, but not actually fucking learning the language in school. Or liking the Stereophonics.

Sebastian Cobb

Bring back the old 80's Welsh nationalism where they burned down homes and sprayed fire extinguishers into the vents of campers tents on Shell Island.

sirhenry

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on April 03, 2020, 03:52:20 PM
Scots Irish (whatever the fuck that is)
The Scotii were the people of Northern Ireland who got so pissed off with living there that they crossed the water to live in the swampy, boggy wilderness that was South-west Scotland as we know it today where no-one would bother them for another 1500 years because no-one else wanted to live there. The local folk hero in those parts is a chap called Sawney (or Sean) Bean[nb]Alexander "Sawney" Bean was said to be the head of a 45-member clan in Scotland in the 16th century that murdered and cannibalized over 1000 people in the span of 25 years.[/nb], a cannibalistic psychopath of epic proportions. They also appeared to be living in the Iron Age a thousand years after the rest of the world had moved on to proper history, but no-one cared, not even the plump and tender Christian missionaries.
So, of course, when the opportunity arose for them to fuck off en masse to the States, they did so in huge numbers, if only for a change of diet and some time free of trenchfoot.

My grandfather came from there and I am so glad he did and never went back.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Thanks. Are people in the US who identify as Scots-Irish aware of all that history though? In fact, are a lot of them even descended from the Scots-Irish at all? I get the feeling that it's just a handy ethnic buzzword that ticks all the appropriate boxes for someone so inclined to act that way.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Marner and Me on April 03, 2020, 03:48:45 PM
Americans are morons, they will claim they are Irish, Italian or Scottish then proclaim to tell you the last relative from there was from the 1870s and they couldn't point to the country on a map. It is like America has no culture at all apart from being big brash and loud.
Funny memory of mine, when I was in Boston (the one in America, not Lincolnshire), with a very good friend of mine, who happens to be African-American with the surname of Campbell (her old man is from Jamaica). We noted all the Irish vibe about parts of the city and she asked if I was Irish at all - to which I replied that I'm not at all. Then she asked, in all sincerity, "is my name Irish?" and I replied (uncertainly) that it can be, I've known Irish people, mainly from the North, with that name but I believed it to be principally Scots.

"Mind you," I added, "you're probably as Irish as half the fuckers round here claiming it".

idunnosomename

national identity is bad enough, ethnic identity is shit for cunts

Ferris

Marner and Me

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on April 03, 2020, 08:42:08 PM
Funny memory of mine, when I was in Boston (the one in America, not Lincolnshire), with a very good friend of mine, who happens to be African-American with the surname of Campbell (her old man is from Jamaica). We noted all the Irish vibe about parts of the city and she asked if I was Irish at all - to which I replied that I'm not at all. Then she asked, in all sincerity, "is my name Irish?" and I replied (uncertainly) that it can be, I've known Irish people, mainly from the North, with that name but I believed it to be principally Scots.

"Mind you," I added, "you're probably as Irish as half the fuckers round here claiming it".
Hahahaha, yeah Campbell is deffo a Scottish surname. Worst is when you goto the hick towns and once they hear your accent they'll try and guess where you're from or get you to talk more so they can hear it.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Marner and Me on April 03, 2020, 09:03:48 PM
Hahahaha, yeah Campbell is deffo a Scottish surname. Worst is when you goto the hick towns and once they hear your accent they'll try and guess where you're from or get you to talk more so they can hear it.
If you mean hick towns in America, I've been to Boston, NY and LA and the locals have all thought I was from Sweden or somewhere. English accents that aren't RP, cockney or like one of the Beatles seem a bit of a mystery to them.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: drummersaredeaf on April 03, 2020, 09:49:36 AM
My mate lived with an American at university who practically painted himself green for St Patrick's Day. Really jacked about it. He couldn't understand that here it's little more than an exercise in selling Guinness and my mate took great glee in pointing out that like so many in NW England, he's actually significantly more Irish than the American chap with the family tree to prove it.

They're an odd bunch. Utterly obsessed over this kind of heritage while also being fundamentally averse to 'the foreign lads' generally. Was reading something this morning about how Asian Americans should really highlight their Americanness in solidarity against the virus. Utterly obsessed with identity. Even if it's ostensibly the various flavours of right types who think they should focus more on their American identity.

Quote from: Old Nehamkin on April 03, 2020, 10:52:03 AM
Americans have some really fucking weird notions about white ethnicity.

Have you ever seen the Ken Burns series "The West"? It really hammers home that the United States is all stolen land. Every scrap stolen from the people who were already living there when the white settlers came. Then they went to Africa and stole people to work the stolen land. Then they got Chinese people to build railways on the stolen land before promptly treating all those workers like shit. If you're American and white and you know all this, it's got to be hard to have any sense of national pride. Your nation exists because of genocide, and genocide that's relatively recent and also incomplete because the peoples that "your people" fought to near extinction are still living on shitty reservations with their cultures and languages in tatters. All your black friends, assuming you have any, experience challenges and obstacles you will not face because less than two hundred years ago white people like you literally owned their ancestors. But if you can say that your ancestors only arrived in America a hundred and fifty years ago, you can say that you're not responsible for that. And if the story of your family in America is that they fled from a terrible famine and were treated like shit in America but worked their way up and now here you are all middle - well, not-poor-class, maybe that can be the story of America, too. Instead of the genocide and slavery.