Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:35:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Am I wrong for thinking that celebrating Rose McGowan's Irishness is white power

Started by Dewt, April 03, 2020, 06:43:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icehaven

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on April 03, 2020, 01:12:51 PM
I was living in Chicago for a while and discovered that they dyed the river green every year for St. Patrick's "week"

Enoch Powell considers rewrite.

Johnny Yesno

Thomas

Quote from: Mister Six on April 03, 2020, 11:58:10 PM
I'm from Yorkshire, but a bloke at my dog park in Manhattan identified me as an Australian.

"I'm English," I said.

"You sound Australian," he said.

"No I don't," I replied.

ee by gum, pop another Wensleydale on't stove

Ferris

imitationleather

Got to hand it to you. This topic may not be my cup of tea but it's sure racked in more pages than any other non-COVID19-related thread since February.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Thomas

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on April 04, 2020, 04:06:13 PM
That green river just looks so impossibly shit and naff.

Let's celebrate the Irish diaspora with the impression of poisonous algal bloom. Great look, nice one Chicago council.

Johnny Yesno

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/62220/what-do-they-use-dye-chicago-river-green-st-patricks-day

QuoteUnfortunately, the dye that was intended to help spot pollution was an oil-based fluorescein that many environmentalists warned was actually damaging the river even more. After fierce lobbying, eco-minded heads prevailed, and in 1966 the parade organizers began using a powdered, vegetable-based dye.

While the exact formula for the orange powder (yes, it's orange until it's mixed with water) is kept top-secret—in 2003 one of the parade organizers told a reporter that revealing the formula would be akin to "telling where the leprechaun hides its gold"—there are plenty of details that the committee lets even non-leprechauns in on.

Reassuring.

Sebastian Cobb

Don't some American places dye the Guinness green as well? I've never seen that in the UK and I'm going to assume it's not a tradition in Ireland outside possibly the worst sort of tourist traps.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 04, 2020, 04:53:42 PM
Don't some American places dye the Guinness green as well? I've never seen that in the UK and I'm going to assume it's not a tradition in Ireland outside possibly the worst sort of tourist traps.

Last time I was at a St P's day bar thing, they had stopped adding green before serving and had green food colo(u)ring on the bar you could add yourself. Everyone put loads in and got it all over clothing and stuff.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Dex Sawash on April 04, 2020, 05:06:22 PM
Last time I was at a St P's day bar thing, they had stopped adding green before serving and had green food colo(u)ring on the bar you could add yourself. Everyone put loads in and got it all over clothing and stuff.

When I was a student I had purple spots on my trainers from drinking snakebite and blackcurrant.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

JesusAndYourBush

Talking of dyeing rivers... I remember reading in the early 90's about some geologists in Whitby trying to find the course of a natural spring, so a load of dye was put in upstream and they waited to see where it came out.  As a result Whitby harbour ended up being dyed blood red.  This co-incided with some sort of Dracula event (probably not the Goth Weekend as wiki says that only started in 1994 and I'm fairly sure it was before that.)

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 04, 2020, 04:53:42 PM
Not Guinness, but I was in an Irish bar in Guildford (of all places) in 2001, as I was at uni with a bunch of Irish lads, and they were serving  lager that had been dyed green. 

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on April 04, 2020, 05:50:13 PM
Talking of dyeing rivers... I remember reading in the early 90's about some geologists in Whitby trying to find the course of a natural spring, so a load of dye was put in upstream and they waited to see where it came out.  As a result Whitby harbour ended up being dyed blood red.  This co-incided with some sort of Dracula event (probably not the Goth Weekend as wiki says that only started in 1994 and I'm fairly sure it was before that.)

Some coke factory fucked up and dumped a load of coke making chemicals into a river and it went reddish as well.

Dewt

Dewt

I had one once and all I remember was that it was unpleasantly sweet

Dex Sawash

touchingcloth

Does dying Guinness work, or does it just go a very slightly different shade of black?

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: touchingcloth on April 05, 2020, 12:20:02 PM
Does dying Guinness work, or does it just go a very slightly different shade of black?

The ones I've seen in photos still looked black, but with a green head.

touchingcloth

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on April 05, 2020, 12:44:09 PM
The ones I've seen in photos still looked black, but with a green head.

Yeah, they look rotten rather than Irish.

touchingcloth

I can't imagine that it doesn't given the effect that beetroot has.