Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 02:17:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Disgraced wankbeast releases new stand up special

Started by Petey Pate, April 04, 2020, 08:09:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Ah God, wanking and rape.

Such a rich, un-plucked orchid of amusement.

up_the_hampipe

There's some glimmers of what made him brilliant. I watched it with people who were firmly against him for what he did and just wanted to see what he had to say for himself, and he even got them laughing at numerous points, including some of the jokes on his sexual deviance. To be funny enough to make people forget they despise you for a moment, that's quite something.

On the other hand, he's definitely started to Gervais himself up for his new audience. Lots of acting like he's being very daring and naughty, when it's nothing you wouldn't hear from any edgy open mic comic. Also some jokes that have been done already, most egregiously of all, he did a "he fell off the watchtower" style Holocaust joke, shockingly unoriginal from a comic who always seem to find unique perspectives on even the most tired subjects. A very mixed bag, sort of feels like an hour he scraped together so he could still make money. Still, at his weakest it's a lot better than your average Netflix special, so many comics who are probably better human beings couldn't dream of reaching his level, so it's no surprise many people don't want to let him go.

lankyguy95

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on April 07, 2020, 01:20:10 AM
Also some jokes that have been done already, most egregiously of all, he did a "he fell off the watchtower" style Holocaust joke, shockingly unoriginal from a comic who always seem to find unique perspectives on even the most tired subjects.
Oh yeah that was genuinely jarring. One of those bits that seem like they're there because continuously sycophantic audiences have given an unbalanced impression of the quality of the joke.

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on April 07, 2020, 01:20:10 AM
I watched it with people who were firmly against him for what he did and just wanted to see what he had to say for himself, and he even got them laughing at numerous points, including some of the jokes on his sexual deviance.
That was pretty much the only part that felt fresh and interesting to me. I wish he'd focused more of the show on it.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

It's impossible to laugh at anything this wankbeast cunt says now. He's a sex offender. An abusive piece of sleazy shit.

That smile, the charm that made you warm to him 'cause "Aww, Louis is a sweet, decent dude underneath all the jokes he clearly doesn't mean about punching women and children in the face" has evaporated. Without that he's nothing. The shtick doesn't work anymore.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: C_Larence on April 06, 2020, 11:41:00 AM
Parks & Rec must be interesting to watch now. A show that stars Aziz Ansari, features Louis CK, and has a main character who worships Joe Biden. I'm quite grateful to have seen it before my brain was poisoned by the internet.

Also Rob Lowe, the granddaddy of Hollywood sex perverts. Nonetheless I'm currently rewatching it, on series 4. It helps that Ansari plays a vile slug who in retrospect it's easy to believe is an accurate depiction of his real personality (I guess at the time Tom was a loveable rogue but now not so loveable). And Louis CK isn't in it much (yet).

There's no way I'm paying for it but like many others I was curious. Less than two minute in. It's funny how he's been touring the world with an act that begins with "So, how was your year?" like "hoho, you couldn't possibly imagine what I've been through" only to have the special drop in...2020.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Weeping Prophet on April 07, 2020, 12:54:38 PM
There's no way I'm paying for it but like many others I was curious. Less than two minute in. It's funny how he's been touring the world with an act that begins with "So, how was your year?" like "hoho, you couldn't possibly imagine what I've been through" only to have the special drop in...2020.

To be fair, he opened this one saying "how have your last two years been?" Presumably he's also including the heat he got from the Parkland jokes which leaked a year or so after the initial wankbeast scandal.

Moribunderast

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on April 07, 2020, 08:32:26 AM
It's impossible to laugh at anything this wankbeast cunt says now. He's a sex offender. An abusive piece of sleazy shit.

That smile, the charm that made you warm to him 'cause "Aww, Louis is a sweet, decent dude underneath all the jokes he clearly doesn't mean about punching women and children in the face" has evaporated. Without that he's nothing. The shtick doesn't work anymore.

This. I don't necessarily agree that one can't/shouldn't enjoy art if it's made by a terrible person (do I burn my Beatles and Velvet Underground records because Lennon and Reed we're partial to domestic violence?) but Louis' entire act was built on the premise he was a decent, somewhat thoughtful and wise fella who'd say vile shit while generally having an outlook you could get on board with. For me, the circuit is forever broken because I can never trust his more vile material is actually coming from a good place. I can't buy into his Everyman "wisdom" because he's not an Everyman, he's a rich predator. I'm certain I would still laugh a bit if I watched this special but the warmth I used to get from his material can never come through for me again.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Moribunderast on April 07, 2020, 10:24:24 PM
This. I don't necessarily agree that one can't/shouldn't enjoy art if it's made by a terrible person (do I burn my Beatles and Velvet Underground records because Lennon and Reed we're partial to domestic violence?) but Louis' entire act was built on the premise he was a decent, somewhat thoughtful and wise fella who'd say vile shit while generally having an outlook you could get on board with. For me, the circuit is forever broken because I can never trust his more vile material is actually coming from a good place. I can't buy into his Everyman "wisdom" because he's not an Everyman, he's a rich predator. I'm certain I would still laugh a bit if I watched this special but the warmth I used to get from his material can never come through for me again.

There's a bit of revisionist history with this take. His later specials showed some of that, as did his TV show, but he became successful as this piece of shit pointing out how we're all pieces of shit. The issue now is that he's actually more of a piece of shit than most normal people, so it's harder to relate.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on April 06, 2020, 11:53:16 AM
The approach you are taking is in my view the all or nothing one, which is by definition reductive as it dehumanises that, applies a value judgement to the art rather than to the artists as though the art is stained by association with its creator, which need not be the case, and sees art as a commodity to an extent, rather than a gift.

If the art is saying fuck kids or even wank off in front of ppl lol, then that's the type of art that should be shunned, like a Jonathan King musical or a Royston Vasey dvd. If the art is about the thousands of other valid things it's possible for humans to express I don't see an issue.

The fact there is other art out there is obviously true and also completely irrelevant. Would you never buy or view art made by a prisoner?

It's not really "all or nothing" and asking if I'd never view or buy art by a prisoner is wilfully and daftly ambiguous. Art is a gift but that doesn't mean I have to receive it graciously or without question. I have my own personal set of moral standards which influence the way I consume it. With Bowie, Iggy, Jimmy Page etc. I find it disturbing that at the peak of their careers they were passing at least one 14 year old girl around like she was a spliff and none of them did anything to dissuade that course of action. I'm aware that none of their magnum opuses is titled "It's Only Statutory Rape (But I Like It)" but the fact that this crime coincides with a time when their greatest work was conceived is strongly disheartening to say the least.

It is of course far more cut-and-dry with Louis CK because his onstage "persona" ultimately ended up being quite closely linked to the horrible things he did. On a similar thread (and worth mentioning because I do think that if they're not prosecuted by law then personal opinion is important) I don't believe that the buffoonish actions of Aziz Ansari detailed in the accusations against him were worthy of him being "cancelled".

In some cases, like with Ansari or Bowie, the factors involved are complex enough that I'm far more willing to accept other people's opinions for or against them, but in others, such as CK or Michael Jackson ... I mean, come on.

Brundle-Fly

It's been said a million times that it's become boring, but the list of artists, writers, musicians and comedians who have behaved quite reprehensively would stretch to Mars and back.  Many, many famous musicians of the past and current, will probably have shagged underage groupies and snorted cocaine off their arses. Probably, your favourite band. Even the artists you'd least expect, so why take the risk by listening to any of it?

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on April 08, 2020, 10:37:37 AM
It's been said a million times that it's become boring, but the list of artists, writers, musicians and comedians who have behaved quite reprehensively would stretch to Mars and back.  Many, many famous musicians of the past and current, will probably have shagged underage groupies and snorted cocaine off their arses. Probably, your favourite band. Even the artists you'd least expect, so why take the risk by listening to any of it?

Yeah, quite.

I'm not for a second suggesting that it's equally probable that they didn't, but it is far more probable than in the cases where it is extensively and explicably documented as having probably happened. Having some evidence is far more substantial than having none.

Thomas

If there's one artist who definitely never slept with underage girls, it's Morrissey, so at least we can all still support and enjoy his ongoing work with no qualms.

Brundle-Fly

If half of the documentation is even true though. You like Marilyn Manson, don't you Nags?  Where do you stand on him and his band's past antics?

Actually, this chat should be in Oscillations really. Soz.  Back to Captain Wankbeast.

Moribunderast

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on April 07, 2020, 11:41:56 PM
There's a bit of revisionist history with this take. His later specials showed some of that, as did his TV show, but he became successful as this piece of shit pointing out how we're all pieces of shit. The issue now is that he's actually more of a piece of shit than most normal people, so it's harder to relate.

That's probably fair. I came to be aware of him mostly through "Louie" and went back and loved Lucky Louie but didn't do his earlier stand-up specials. I'm only speaking from my personal fandom of the man.

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on April 07, 2020, 11:41:56 PM

But his mainstream success relied on a very delicate balancing act, and part of it was selling the idea that - despite the horrible things he says - he was a decent human being beneath it all. He's now left with an audience that never particularly cared about that balance.

markburgle

I always found the stuff he didn't put in his specials was the best. Random clips on youtube like "shit-ass pet fuckers", the "negative money" bit, the gay marriage bit, the "God bullying Abraham" bit from the FX show.

For some reason his specials always seemed to be filled with C-grade material about how sweaty his balls were and the like.

I guess what I'm saying is, I was disappointed in him before it was cool.

lankyguy95

The 2004-2010 period was his peak. All his standup releases in that time were fantastic. There was a gradual downward trajectory after that, even though he was still often very funny.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteThat smile, the charm that made you warm to him 'cause "Aww, Louis is a sweet, decent dude underneath all the jokes he clearly doesn't mean about punching women and children in the face" has evaporated. Without that he's nothing. The shtick doesn't work anymore.

You see that's the relevant part. If the fuck up ruins the art made past and present, if some form of moral fibre was a backbone behind the material, if you had to lend the performer your good faith and then they acted in such a way as to destroy it then all trust is lost and your affection towards the art is untethered.

I don't think this applies to most art and most situations where we have discovered the artists did bad things, but definitely here.

If Louis CK suddenly turned to other artforms, if he produced good oil paintings or novels for example, which did not go near these subjects and were clearly of merit in terms of entertainment or emotional depth I don't see that's I would have a problem with detaching the artist from the art. Because the art isn't necessarily asking me to make a value judgement on the person's character. Perhaps even if he changed his stand up act to another persona and dredged up something worthy (unlikely).

Deyv

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on April 08, 2020, 10:37:37 AM

If they're dead, it's okay because you're not directly funding them. So with CK it's just a case of waiting.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on April 08, 2020, 02:33:34 PM
You see that's the relevant part. If the fuck up ruins the art made past and present, if some form of moral fibre was a backbone behind the material, if you had to lend the performer your good faith and then they acted in such a way as to destroy it then all trust is lost and your affection towards the art is untethered.

I don't think this applies to most art and most situations where we have discovered the artists did bad things, but definitely here.

If Louis CK suddenly turned to other artforms, if he produced good oil paintings or novels for example, which did not go near these subjects and were clearly of merit in terms of entertainment or emotional depth I don't see that's I would have a problem with detaching the artist from the art. Because the art isn't necessarily asking me to make a value judgement on the person's character. Perhaps even if he changed his stand up act to another persona and dredged up something worthy (unlikely).

You have perfectly articulated my thoughts on this subject far more eloquently than I could muster. You better not turn out to be.a disgraced wankbeast in years to come, Shoulders.

chveik

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on April 08, 2020, 02:33:34 PM

I don't really see the point of this kind of hypopethical when we all know that it would never happen.

Sebastian Cobb

Not gonna allow my own handwringing to get in the way of enjoying music I've decided I already like, cheers.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: markburgle on April 08, 2020, 12:08:14 PM
I always found the stuff he didn't put in his specials was the best. Random clips on youtube like "shit-ass pet fuckers", the "negative money" bit, the gay marriage bit, the "God bullying Abraham" bit from the FX show.

For some reason his specials always seemed to be filled with C-grade material about how sweaty his balls were and the like.

I guess what I'm saying is, I was disappointed in him before it was cool.

I agree with you, but I think the same goes for embryonic versions of material that actually does end up in the specials too. I was lucky enough to see him doing two work-in-progress shows for Oh My God and thought they were outstanding, but I was underwhelmed by the special itself. Obviously being in the room is always going to be more immediately exciting than watching it on TV, but I've had similar experiences seeing people like Bill Burr work stuff out and then seeing it work just as well (if not better) when it finally ends up in a taped special. I think I'm the only person here who thinks some of the bits from this latest special worked better in the leaked recording from 18 months ago as well.

It's almost like he over-polishes some of his jokes once they're worked out, to the point where it feels like they're stripped of all spontaneity. That kind of intensive scripting of a set works well for George Carlin, who essentially performed monologues with absolutely no illusion of spontaneity, but less so for a comic like Louis who partially relies on his persona being relatable and almost always includes moments where he appears to be self-correcting, reflecting or going off on tangents.

I reckon.

Quote from: alan nagsworth on April 06, 2020, 11:17:55 AMI don't think I want to ever listen to David Bowie or Iggy Pop again because they were paedophiles.

I don't know what to make of this. I'm sure Bowie got mixed up in plenty of weird shit but I think you might have unfairly labelled him.

Mister Six

Quote from: Mantis Toboggan on April 10, 2020, 05:36:40 AM
I don't know what to make of this. I'm sure Bowie got mixed up in plenty of weird shit but I think you might have unfairly labelled him.

https://www.thrillist.com/entertainment/nation/i-lost-my-virginity-to-david-bowie

It's been disputed by some since and "David Bowie is a paedophile" is obviously misleading, but it was the 70s; it's entirely plausible that Bowie did what a great many stars did at that point and shagged an underage groupie.

phes

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on April 08, 2020, 04:00:47 PM
You have perfectly articulated my thoughts on this subject far more eloquently than I could muster. You better not turn out to be.a disgraced wankbeast in years to come, Shoulders.

Pour yourselves a pint of Farage and Co's Best Bitter

New products from disgraced ****beasts probably deserves a thread

Petey Pate

Schnapple

Presumably Biden is keen to keep the focus on his own  history of alleged sexual assault.