Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:30:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

LImmy's Homemade Show

Started by Malcy, April 04, 2020, 08:19:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

So just twitch then if you want to see Limmy.

Bummer.

buntyman

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on April 10, 2020, 11:34:20 PM
Any non-UK dwellers got a good way of watching this? My VPN hasn't worked with iPlayer for a while.

I have NordVPN and it worked fine for me.

Wasn't a big fan of the episode either sadly. I did think the Brazil guy was very funny though.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on April 10, 2020, 11:34:20 PM
Any non-UK dwellers got a good way of watching this? My VPN hasn't worked with iPlayer for a while.

It's not up there yet but if it is made available on a non-private tracker it'll probably be via here: https://www.reddit.com/r/UKTVLAND/

Aye he's lost it.

Streaming it is.

bgmnts

Streaming has ruined him.

Cautionary tale.

selectivememory

The material was pretty thin. And that "your shite is my shite" thing was a short story in one of his books, so I guess that doesn't bode well for the rest of the series if he's recycling ideas he had years ago in the first episode.

I still enjoyed it, because I like watching Limmy and even little things about him make me laugh even if the substance isn't there. But yeah, quite disappointed at how weak that was.

Danger Man

Still third after Kitson and Harry Hill

Danger Man

Though he is slowly turning into Jonathan Watson fucking hell

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: buntyman on April 10, 2020, 11:47:47 PM
I have NordVPN and it worked fine for me.

Yeah, it worked once I used a different browser.

I thought it was fine. Consistently entertaining enough, and filling up half an hour by yourself with entirely homemade content is more of a challenge than you'd think, so I've got to be forgiving of the occasional dud bit. I was a bit surprised that he recycled a few things from his book(s); the "your shite is my shite" bit especially didn't work nearly as well in this format.

Captain Z

Miserable gits, I thought that was very charming and funny enough to keep me grinning throughout. Although my expectations were lowered by the previous pilot, which I thought was less structured and lighter on material than this episode. Probably heavily reliant on already being a fan of Limmy too. Hope there are more techno lessons, that was my favourite.

Pseudopath

Wow..there are some miserable bastards on here. That was brilliant (although to be fair, I am unfairly fond of the HATE BEGETS HATE bit).

How come he needs to do the 'limmy's homemade show' sting about 15 times?

He simply just doesn't trust me to laugh when I want to laugh.

This is a failure in trust!

He just doesn't trust me anymore! :(

Deyv

I liked it, looking forward to seeing more. The mugger bit will be in my mind the next time I get mugged.

Purple Toupee

I enjoyed that a lot. It was patchier than usual for Limmy though and it took about ten minutes to get going. Loved the Mitchell Library and teabag sketches. Hope there's more Limmy Teaches Techno to come.

It was disappointing to see Your Shite Is My Shite reused from the book, I was waiting for a different ending or twist that never came.

RicoMNKN

Didn't feel there were any particularly great sketches (the toaster maths was probably my favourite bit), but I was entertained all the way through. He knows how to keep your attention.

Small Man Big Horse

Add me to the disappointed group, I wanted to like it but a lot of it was really weak - the toaster and mugging sketches really disappointed me as they didn't go anywhere funny at all. I liked the Techno DJing bit, and the list of conversational sketches, but I really miss the days he created characters and slowly developed them over time, and felt all too often it had a "Ah, this'll do" feel to it.

Retinend

It's just so good. I'm one of those who was saying "eh you know it's a tough act to follow you know, that pilot episode" but it met absolutely every one of my expectations, except for a guest appearance from Dee Dee: it was filled with weird wordplay (hate begets hate; chicken nuggets chicken), bizarre streams of consciousness and that distinctive humour he finds in the nooks and crannies of the world.

I loved the monologue about Brazil speaking Portuguese. It's precisely the story you hear from everyone who ever interacted with Brazil. So it was funny how he built this whole character around this one arrogant conversational gambit.

I was roaring laughing at the stuff about the toaster. The absurdity of someone wondering so long about it, and getting into discussions about something that would be laughably simple to confirm if one was truly bothered to know. In being wrapped into a presentation about the stores of knowledge held in museums, it had an extra level to it.

The stuff about the teabag isn't just funny, its downright poignant. Anyone else relate to this kind of "magical thinking"?

And to cap it all: "yer shite is ma shite". Luckily I haven't read the book yet so that was new for me and had me in peals of laughter.

Dewt

Lots of stuff from Limmy's Show was reused from World of Glasgow.

Malcy

Quote from: Dewt on April 11, 2020, 09:15:32 PM
Lots of stuff from Limmy's Show was reused from World of Glasgow.

The Dee Dee goes to Yoker sketch is about half an hour long originally. Some of his YouTube sketches were remade for it as well I think. I always hoped after Limmy's Show he would have done a sort of Coogan's Run series with the characters.

Dewt

Retinend

Quote from: Dewt on April 11, 2020, 09:33:26 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5gnfgnDhEk is probably the closest you'll get

That brought a tear to my eye. I love these characters.

maett

Sebastian Cobb

I thought it was good. I liked the 'smartarse' who knew they speak Portuguese in Brazil.

The underpass used for the mugging bits is right round the corner from me.

VelourSpirit

Quote from: Retinend on April 11, 2020, 07:05:49 PM
The stuff about the teabag isn't just funny, its downright poignant. Anyone else relate to this kind of "magical thinking"?
Absolutely. Felt like he'd looked at my private weird thoughts there, which I often feel with Limmy.

VelourSpirit

The mugging bit really made me laugh the second time when you see he's going down the exact same underpass
This was alright

Mango Chimes

I liked the techno clip, but the only new bit I laughed at was HATE BEGETS HATE. Perhaps out of relief of it having a bit of colour. I find Limmy's monochrome flat and wardrobe somewhat oppressive.

Quote from: Excellent_Biscuits on April 11, 2020, 06:39:22 AM
How come he needs to do the 'limmy's homemade show' sting about 15 times?

Can someone fan edit these out, please? It must work better without them trampling on the non-punchlines.

jsgibble

IIRC, didn't the pilot end up having other editors? That could explain some of the differences on the production side.

thugler

Some good bits, but felt a bit slight. Preferred the pilot

riotinlagos

The rest of the series (episodes 2 and 3) is already on iPlayer.

Pseudopath

Limmy's got my kettle. #soproud