Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 12:52:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Marianne Faithfull hospitalised with coronavirus

Started by His Name Is Death, April 05, 2020, 08:04:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2020/apr/04/marianne-faithfull-hospitalised-with-coronavirus

QuoteMarianne Faithfull has been hospitalised in London with coronavirus.

The singer, who became famous amid the "swinging London" scene of the 1960s and has had a respected (and occasionally troubled) career ever since, is said to be "stable and responding to treatment", according to her representatives.

Her friend, the performer Penny Arcade, told Rolling Stone that Faithfull had self-isolated following a cold, and then checked herself into hospital last Monday, where she tested positive for Covid-19. She has since contracted pneumonia.

Faithfull, who is 73, has had various health issues in the past. She suffered from anorexia during a spell she spent homeless in central London in the early 1970s, when she was also addicted to heroin. In 2006, she was diagnosed with breast cancer, and underwent successful surgery. In 2007, she announced that she has hepatitis C, diagnosed 12 years previously. She also has arthritis, and has had other joint issues, including a hip injury which became infected following surgery and forced her to cancel a 2015 tour.

Apart from a decade-long fallow period following her 1960s breakthrough, she has steadily released music throughout her life. Her most recent album was 2018's Negative Capability, described as "a masterly meditation on ageing and death" in a five-star Observer review.

Hope they've thought to empty the vending machines just in case Jagger pops in for a visit.

ajsmith2

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on April 05, 2020, 08:52:22 AM
Hope they've thought to empty the vending machines just in case Jagger pops in for a visit.

More than a bit depressing that that entirely  invented bit of tabloid tittle tattle dreamed up by some sleazy old smudger in 1967 is clearly gonna follow her to the grave as her defining moment. C'mon forum, can we do better than this? (Sorry for being so hoity toity here, I guess it was gonna get mentioned by someone, but it does annoy me cos it's just some shite made up by some snide cunt half a century ago).

rue the polywhirl

Quote from: ajsmith2 on April 05, 2020, 09:04:04 AM
More than a bit depressing that that entirely  invented bit of tabloid tittle tattle dreamed up by some sleazy old smudger in 1967 is clearly gonna follow her to the grave as her defining moment. C'mon forum, can we do better than this? (Sorry for being so hoity toity here, I guess it was gonna get mentioned by someone, but it does annoy me cos it's just some shite made up by some snide cunt half a century ago).

Come on, mate. Have a snickers. You get a little cranky when you're hungry.

Why D'ya Do It? is a new wave/reggae styled banger from 1979 which sounds similar to what Grace Jones was doing with Warm Leatherette a year later (they were both released on Island Records), the lyrics are very NSFW.

Glebe

I've actually 'met' Marianne Faithful in that I served her in a shop once.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: Glebe on April 05, 2020, 03:10:30 PM
I've actually 'met' Marianne Faithful in that I served her in a shop once. She bought 12 Mars Bars.

idunnosomename

Thats the lady who stuck a caramac up her bum right hahaha

Glebe

I sold her some Cara matches (Irish brand of the matches) actually. "Good old Cara," said she.

lankyguy95

My grandfather sold her Mick Jagger. The guy was at the bottom of the pile at the point. She paid with a Marathon bar.

Dead Soon

Quote from: ajsmith2 on May 24, 2020, 12:04:53 PM
She's ok: https://twitter.com/faithfull_m/status/1263126263067217925?s=21

Discharged on April 21st! Amazing recovery. She couldn't have been more at risk, having contracted it in hospital whilst being treated for pneumonia. Add on her age of 73, the existing respiratory damage, the heavy drug use and the 1/2 century+ of cigarettes and most people were assuming the follow up news would only be leaning towards one sorrowful conclusion.

BlodwynPig

earl_sleek

Quote from: Better Midlands on April 05, 2020, 01:44:21 PM
Why D'ya Do It? is a new wave/reggae styled banger from 1979 which sounds similar to what Grace Jones was doing with Warm Leatherette a year later (they were both released on Island Records), the lyrics are very NSFW.

Broken English is the only work of hers I know but it's fuckin A+.

grainger