Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,467
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 03:08:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Movies that take place over a short time span

Started by Lemming, April 05, 2020, 08:25:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Talulah, really!

Quote from: Talulah, really! on October 06, 2015, 11:26:48 PM
Time for the Christie-Lumet Gambit, the not immediately obvious but actually when you think about it effective off beat answer to all these types of thread.

Films set in restricted location? Murder on the Orient Express.

Films that take place upon a single day? Murder on the Orient Express.

Snowiest films ever? Murder on the Orient Express.

Films that are never mentioned when someone goes on about a director and actor working together on a series of great films? Murder on the Orient Express.

Quote from: Talulah, really! on August 02, 2013, 05:00:14 PM
Murder on the Orient Express!

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Mister Six on April 05, 2020, 03:56:33 PM
Spoilers, obviously!

But no - the film
Spoiler alert
is a dream she has in a booze-and-drug-addled guilty depression. Then she wakes up, reeling, into the real world and tops herself
[close]

Spoiler alert
The very opening of the film is a gunshot, hence her dying vision
[close]

Lemming

Speaking of train-based films, Shanghai Express (1932) takes place over about two or three days.

Cerys

Labyrinth takes place over less than five hours.

Dr Rock

Die Hard One- maybe about four to six hours since he gets off the plane gets from the airport to the Nakatomi Plaza, then real time for the rest of the movie.

Hey, when he kills that first guy and takes his machine gun, why doesn't he take his shoes too? Too small maybe.

Gulftastic

Quote from: Dr Rock on April 05, 2020, 08:43:52 PM
Die Hard One-

Hey, when he kills that first guy and takes his machine gun, why doesn't he take his shoes too? Too small maybe.

Yes. There is a line about the small size of the terrorist's feet.

greenman

Eurotrash shoes are too metrosexual for Diehard to wear/

Thomas

Quote from: Dr Rock on April 05, 2020, 08:43:52 PM

too smelly

beanheadmcginty

Die Hard 2: Die Harder
Airplane!
Die Hard with a Vengeance

beanheadmcginty

Any film set on an aeroplane would qualify wouldn't it?

mrfridge

Dazed and Confused takes place over the course of an afternoon / evening doesn't it?

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on April 06, 2020, 01:45:32 AM
Any film set on an aeroplane would qualify wouldn't it?

Only Angels Have Wings doesn't feature just one plane but several during a fog.

dissolute ocelot

Liam Neeson actioner Non Stop is another one set over the course of a plane flight. Although like a lot of one-day/one-night films I've a feeling it has an epilogue set later. As does Game Night I think.

dissolute ocelot

Several Warhol films must qualify if you can figure out the chronology of Chelsea Girls. And Richard Linklater's Slacker, set over a day.

Chantal Akerman's Jeanne Dielman, 23 quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles is set over 3 days.

Inspector Norse

Edited because someone made the same post just above and I can't think of anything better to put here right now

Gurke and Hare

Clerks.

Possibly also Mallrats and Dogma? I can't remember the exact timeframes on those.

Armin Meiwes

Victoria.. best genuinely one take film ever? 2.5 hour film so covers 2.5 hours.

EOLAN

Quote from: samadriel on April 05, 2020, 03:46:37 PM
Groundhog Day covered only 1 day.
3 days at least surely.

Do the Right Thing. I was a bit disappointed that the effective epilogue took place the next day and took it out of the 1 day.

chveik

Spiteface

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on April 06, 2020, 01:38:10 PM
Clerks.

Possibly also Mallrats and Dogma? I can't remember the exact timeframes on those.

I believe Mallrats takes place, the day before Clerks or something. Don't know about Dogma.

Ant Farm Keyboard

Odd Man Out
A Dog Day Afternoon
A Special Day
The Wannsee Conference (it's based on the actual minutes, and it takes approximately the same time as the actual conference where Nazi official picked a solution for the "Jewish problem". Remade as Conspiracy for HBO a few years later.
Jacques Tati's Playtime (from one morning until the next one)
Federico Fellini's Toby Dammit (which is basically an evil version of Playtime)
Roberto Rossellini's L'Amore, the first segment (The Human Voice), which is based on a real-time short play by Jean Cocteau
The Hangover trilogy
Sorry, Wrong Number
Secret Honor (two other adaptations of plays that take place in real time)
3:10 to Yuma (the two versions, I guess)
The Russian Ark

Gulftastic

Quote from: Spiteface on April 06, 2020, 02:36:49 PM
I believe Mallrats takes place, the day before Clerks or something. Don't know about Dogma.

Dogma is a few days at least.

holyzombiejesus

Slacker and Dazed & Confused both take place over one night, don't they?

Having said that, I can't recall how Slacker works. I loved it when it came out and am sure it followed the stream of people and there were no jumps in the timeline? But it starts in daylight and ends the next morning, doesn't it?

EDIT:
Quote from: mrfridge on April 06, 2020, 07:22:55 AM
Dazed and Confused takes place over the course of an afternoon / evening doesn't it?

magval

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on April 06, 2020, 01:38:10 PM
Clerks.

The cinema cut of Mallrats is one day - the DVD cut has scenes set the night before.

Ant Farm Keyboard

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on April 06, 2020, 03:03:40 PM
Slacker and Dazed & Confused both take place over one night, don't they?

Linklater has more entries here, with the Before trilogy or Everybody Wants Some! (which takes place over a 24 hr. span).

Dr Rock

How much time between the start of Texas Chainsaw Massacre and the end? Not long as I recall.

bomb_dog

Lowlife. Don't watch the trailer, go in blind. Really enjoyed this. I think it's over one day.