Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 10:05:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Wrestling In The Time Of COVID-19: the new thread

Started by sevendaughters, April 06, 2020, 09:29:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

up_the_hampipe

Come on, I like Christian, but it would be a really disappointing reveal given the hype.

Ja'moke

Speaking of Christian, I found some old photos last year of my brother and me at one of the first wrestling shows we'd been to. I think it was Rebellion or Insurrection, you know those PPVs they used to do in the UK? And there was a photo of us holding a "We Are Christian's Peeps" sign.

Always been a big Christian fan. I always preferred Edge & Christian to The Hardyz and the Dudleys (although I liked them all) because they made me laugh the most, especially Christian, who just has great comedic timing, whether it's his stuff with Edge and Angle or his later stuff with Tomko.

He was massively over at one point too and should have beat Cena. Everyone wanted to see it, and he deserved it, even if for a short run. Instead he left to prove himself and had a great run in TNA, then when he came back to WWE he finally got his World title run (and those series of matches with Orton were fantastic). Even then, though, his title reign(s) was kind of overshadowed by Edge's retirement.

So, if it is Christian, I could see why he'd want to make his full-time in-ring return in AEW, rather than in WWE where they'd likely have him playing second fiddle to Edge again. And, let's face it, as much as I like Edge, Christian is quite easily the better wrestler.

It'd also be quite fun that Edge and Jeff are in WWE, while Christian and Matt are in AEW.

BRen

I have no interest in seeing Christian to be fair, will be a let down if so. I'd rather it be someone like Nick Gage, it's rumoured he was supposed to be in Matt Sydal's spot at All Out last year.

Ja'moke

Quote from: BRen on March 07, 2021, 04:57:14 PM
I have no interest in seeing Christian to be fair, will be a let down if so. I'd rather it be someone like Nick Gage, it's rumoured he was supposed to be in Matt Sydal's spot at All Out last year.

Nick Gage might be in the ladder match?

gmoney

Quote from: Ja'moke on March 07, 2021, 04:52:05 PM
He was massively over at one point too and should have beat Cena. Everyone wanted to see it, and he deserved it, even if for a short run.

This was his peak I think. They should have run with him then, but apparently Vince thinks he's an annoying ugly bastard, which is a shame.

I must admit, I remember almost nothing about his title runs, like a lot of stuff from that period it seems to have washed over me.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Ja'moke on March 07, 2021, 04:52:05 PM
Speaking of Christian, I found some old photos last year of my brother and me at one of the first wrestling shows we'd been to. I think it was Rebellion or Insurrection, you know those PPVs they used to do in the UK? And there was a photo of us holding a "We Are Christian's Peeps" sign.

Always been a big Christian fan. I always preferred Edge & Christian to The Hardyz and the Dudleys (although I liked them all) because they made me laugh the most, especially Christian, who just has great comedic timing, whether it's his stuff with Edge and Angle or his later stuff with Tomko.

He was massively over at one point too and should have beat Cena. Everyone wanted to see it, and he deserved it, even if for a short run. Instead he left to prove himself and had a great run in TNA, then when he came back to WWE he finally got his World title run (and those series of matches with Orton were fantastic). Even then, though, his title reign(s) was kind of overshadowed by Edge's retirement.

So, if it is Christian, I could see why he'd want to make his full-time in-ring return in AEW, rather than in WWE where they'd likely have him playing second fiddle to Edge again. And, let's face it, as much as I like Edge, Christian is quite easily the better wrestler.

It'd also be quite fun that Edge and Jeff are in WWE, while Christian and Matt are in AEW.

All of this, really, Christian is massively underrated.

And you may not want to see him or be excited to see him, that's fair enough, but to say he's a mid carder or not a big name? That's the bit I'd take issue with.

Timothy

Why?

Most of his time in WWE was spend in the midcard.

If I remember correctly he wasnt in the main event in WWE until Edge retired.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Timothy on March 07, 2021, 05:05:45 PM
Why?

Most of his time in WWE was spend in the midcard.

If I remember correctly he wasnt in the main event in WWE until Edge retired.

Thats what happens when you work your way up. He was main eventer in TNA and in WWE when he returned there. Not to mention all the tag team titles he had, at a time when tag team wrestling meant something and often main evented shows. Hell, he was one of the people that made tag team wrestling mean something again.

Edit - should we start a new thread before the PPV now this one has reached 100 pages? I imagine it's going to get a bit of discussion tonight.

gmoney

I think it's a big stretch to say he was a main eventer in WWE, but it's semantics at the end of the day.

Ja'moke

Yeah, I wouldn't say Christian was a main event level star in WWE. Yes, he won the title, but they were both short reigns.

That doesn't mean I wouldn't be excited for a Christian debut though.

By the way, this is wrestlers praising Christian after his Rumble return: https://www.cagesideseats.com/wwe/2021/2/2/22262344/christian-wwe-return-wrestlers-praise-owed-intentcontinental-title-shot-big-e-responds

Timothy

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on March 07, 2021, 05:12:10 PM
Thats what happens when you work your way up. He was main eventer in TNA and in WWE when he returned there. Not to mention all the tag team titles he had, at a time when tag team wrestling meant something and often main evented shows. Hell, he was one of the people that made tag team wrestling mean something again.

Edit - should we start a new thread before the PPV now this one has reached 100 pages? I imagine it's going to get a bit of discussion tonight.

Christian was ECW champ when he returned. It wasnt until Edge was forced to retire that he got a world championship opportunity. Most of his days in WWE were spend in the midcard.

Would love it when Christian enters the ladder match. Would be disappointed if he is the big signing.

BeardFaceMan

Oh I'm not saying he's on the level of Stone Cold or anything, but he main evented as a singles and tag champion and he was over as fuck too. As has been said, whether he's a main eventer or not is semantic, but hes defintely a big name. Your excitement upon hearing that name will vary, obviously.