Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:39:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Wrestling In The Time Of COVID-19: the new thread

Started by sevendaughters, April 06, 2020, 09:29:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurke and Hare

Timothy

Mike Tyson presenting the TNT Championship.

QuoteTyson was in the house for last year's Double Or Nothing, posing for behind-the-scenes photos with the likes of Chris Jericho and Brandi Rhodes, and had such a great time that the two parties agreed to bring him back for next week's pay-per-view.

Dave Meltzer spoke about this on the latest episode of Wrestling Observer Radio. He said that Tyson "loved everything about" going backstage at Double Or Nothing 2019, leading to this year's appearance.

peanutbutter

Hope AEW aren't paying him too much...

Is PW Torch still a thing? I know Meltzer was always a way bigger deal but I feel like I haven't heard Wade Keller or the Torch mentioned anywhere in ages and ages.

Ja'moke

I'll never not find Jericho arguing with a drone funny. Despicable, reckless act though murdering it like that.

Deanjam

Mobius

A few hours ago Drew Gulak was moved to the Alumni section of the WWE website which seemed to be a weird mistake but sites are now reporting he's been released?

Timothy

QuoteSatin soon broke word that the 33-year-old was released. Sapp provided reasoning, reporting that "his contract was coming due or expired and he chose not to re-sign." 

Probably going to AEW.

Deanjam

According to the Observer, his contract ran out, was offerered a renewal, asked for more money, and was told no. So that's that. Definitely someone AEW should snap up, although I'd love him in New Japan. He's been fantastic in every role he's had in WWE.

Ja'moke

AEW could do with a couple of more mat-based, technical wrestlers on its roster.

That said, I seem to remember some beef between Cody and Gulak from an indie show? Or have I just made that up?

Custard

Jim Cornette discussing Vince McMahon stories actually made me weep with laughter. Especially the scream from the other side of the house

https://youtu.be/LsOAvZ-AL-E

BeardFaceMan

That kind of thing is no suprise any more, the only suprise is that people give this shitty company the time of day any more.

Just watched the first part of the Undertaker doc and I'll say it again - what's happened to Vince? He looks fucking awful.

Ja'moke

Countdown until Gulak has a "Training Partner" shirt up at prowrestlingtees...

Custard

Vince looks like he's had botox, and it's gone a bit wrong. Doubt he has though

Isn't he meant be a bit of a coke fiend? That can't help

Deanjam

Quote from: Ja'moke on May 18, 2020, 12:17:47 PM
Countdown until Gulak has a "Training Partner" shirt up at prowrestlingtees...

Ha! I wonder how much the Bucks made out of WWE's pettiness.

peanutbutter

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on May 18, 2020, 11:53:45 AM
what's happened to Vince? He looks fucking awful.
The workload has caught up with him, he's five years older than Vince Sr was when he died and it's not like he has lived a perfectly healthy life.

Probably more like Flair circa 2004 where he had been hiding ageing for years via minor cosmetic surgery but when it stopped working it stopped working in a very big way.

Timothy

KO just posted a thank you note. It could be that he is celebrating being 5 years with WWE, could also be that he is the next one to leave.

weekender

That looks awful.  Rip currents are scary stuff, I've never been caught in one but I seem to remember the advice is to swim parallel to the shore, which seems counter-intuitive but does actually make sense when you think about it.

QuoteOne witness at the scene tells us ... when lifeguards raced into the ocean, Gaspard directed rescuers to help his son first, which they did.

I hope he's remembered for this truly heroic act.

Ja'moke

Ja'moke

Hangman's promo at the end of this week's BTE is great, weaving both humour and pathos. As someone on Reddit said, he's like wrestling's Bojack Horseman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWobr-DSfuQ

Mobius

Quote from: weekender on May 18, 2020, 06:34:53 PM
Rip currents are scary stuff, I've never been caught in one but I seem to remember the advice is to swim parallel to the shore, which seems counter-intuitive but does actually make sense when you think about it.

About 48 hours after my family emigrated to Australia we decided to go to the beach, not knowing what a riptide was or that you should only swim in flagged areas. Within minutes of entering the water my brother and I were fucked, just exhausted from fighting the water and only getting dragged further out. Saw dad rushing out with a bodyboard thing, few minutes later I see the board and no dad. I actually thought I was dead, had just given up. Could hear my brother faintly crying in the water.

Not long after all 3 of us were on the sand throwing up water and crying. 2 lifeguards came and saved our life. Was the worst thing ever, like you just can't understand why you were fighting so hard to get to shore and going the other way. I dunno how one could just relax in that situation, but apparently kids here are taught about those dangers.

Worst moment of my life, and can't even mention it now without my mum becoming hysteric

https://twitter.com/RyanClarkWZR/status/1262460739001946112 this is just devastating.

Moribunderast

Quote from: Mobius on May 18, 2020, 10:27:05 PM
About 48 hours after my family emigrated to Australia we decided to go to the beach, not knowing what a riptide was or that you should only swim in flagged areas. Within minutes of entering the water my brother and I were fucked, just exhausted from fighting the water and only getting dragged further out. Saw dad rushing out with a bodyboard thing, few minutes later I see the board and no dad. I actually thought I was dead, had just given up. Could hear my brother faintly crying in the water.

Not long after all 3 of us were on the sand throwing up water and crying. 2 lifeguards came and saved our life. Was the worst thing ever, like you just can't understand why you were fighting so hard to get to shore and going the other way. I dunno how one could just relax in that situation, but apparently kids here are taught about those dangers.

Worst moment of my life, and can't even mention it now without my mum becoming hysteric

https://twitter.com/RyanClarkWZR/status/1262460739001946112 this is just devastating.

Yeah, I'm Australian, not a particularly strong swimmer so I don't go to the beach too often but it's definitely something drilled into us at an early age - the danger of rips and how best to react if caught in one (try to relax, swim parallel to the beach, don't fight against the tide.)

The search being called off without him being found is just the absolute worst case for the family. Horrible story.

Moribunderast

That Owen Hart Dark Side Of The Ring is a rough watch. My only complaint about it is it probably should have been a two-parter. Aside from that, though, very good. Documentaries like this continue to shovel dirt on my childhood love for WWF/E. There's just nothing left now except revulsion and antipathy. What a fucking rotten company run by an irredeemably awful man. Seeing their lawyer come out of the woodwork and try to discredit Martha Hart this week is just more bullshit to add to their never-ending pile.

BeardFaceMan

I can remember watching the PPV where Own died live, it was one of the first PPVs I stayed up for instead of taping and watching in the morning. Not sure I can watch that DSOTR ep, it sounds way too fucking sad. And I don't need any more details about how much of an utter garbage human being Vince is. Can he please fuck off now? Or at least can some investigative journalist with too much time on their hands during the lockdown do a piece on him? I've said it before, he's lucky the mainstream sees wrestling as a joke because the second they don't and people start actually looking at him and his company, he would be fucked.

Obel

I teared up a couple of times watching it, to be honest. It's quite a tough watch. Even the usually angry Cornette gets emotional.
It seems like Owen was unanimously regarded as a phenomenal person, which makes it even harder to deal with. I also watched it live at the time so it hit me quite hard. A great episode, I think Martha is a pretty amazing person and I completely agree with her reasons to not let Owen be put in the WWE hall of fame.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Obel on May 20, 2020, 12:22:14 PM
It seems like Owen was unanimously regarded as a phenomenal person

Austin saying 'WHAT?' dot gif.

Seriously, though, just awful. The fact that anyone thinks Martha needs to stop "holding grudges" and let Owen in the WWE HOF, even that absolute suckass Mark Henry emotionally pleading with her when he was inducted, terribly inappropriate and ignorant. Vince's behaviour at the press conference was almost worse than Trump. In the recent Undertaker doc, Kane said Vince is loyal to you if you're loyal to him. Sure, mate, Owen stayed with the company even after they betrayed his brother, but Vince treated his death like it was just some sort of technical malfunction. Ghouls.

Spiteface

Apparently a body has washed up on Venice Beach matching the description of Shad Gaspard.

Fuck.

I've not been watching for a few years, but Cryme Tyme were a fun team around the time I was watching.