Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 10:35:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Wrestling In The Time Of COVID-19: the new thread

Started by sevendaughters, April 06, 2020, 09:29:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cliggg

I'd be surprised if it was a work since it involves someone saying wrestling is fake, I know it's 2020 and probably not even kids are under any illusions these days but that still seems to be the one thing WWE wouldn't sanction. I also think that Ronda calling the fans ungrateful seems in line with her personality, she is known for her sensitivity to any criticism and I can well believe her being booed when she was expecting to get cheered for fake fighting would hurt her feelings.

Timothy

Rousey said nothing wrong. It is fake fighting and theatre. Theyre all just overreacting.

More surprised to read that Nia Jax is the locker room leader.

Ja'moke

It's a work you goons. Can't you remember this last time during the Becky feud when Ronda was calling wrestling fake, even on TV.

In fact, Ronda has even outright admitted this is all a work: https://twitter.com/RondaRousey/status/1249155435032182785

She's probably scheduled to return soon.

up_the_hampipe

I love these worked shoots that make wrestlers look like a bunch of whiny losers, even the supposed babyfaces.

Ja'moke

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on April 12, 2020, 01:29:20 PM
I love these worked shoots that make wrestlers look like a bunch of whiny losers, even the supposed babyfaces.

Yeah, it's stupid. And even more stupid if this isn't leading to a Ronda return any time soon.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Ja'moke on April 12, 2020, 12:35:32 PM
It's a work you goons. Can't you remember this last time during the Becky feud when Ronda was calling wrestling fake, even on TV.

In fact, Ronda has even outright admitted this is all a work: https://twitter.com/RondaRousey/status/1249155435032182785

She's probably scheduled to return soon.

That just makes her sound like she's saying wrestling is a work, not that that quote was a work. I'd be suprised if she did come back. Then again, if it is a worked shoot for a return, it just makes everyone look bad, which is WWE's style, I suppose. And they've also just blown the storyline by admitting it's a work. But reading the interview the quote came from, she doesn't sound like she's that eager to return.

Ja'moke

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on April 12, 2020, 02:04:41 PM
That just makes her sound like she's saying wrestling is a work, not that that quote was a work. I'd be suprised if she did come back. Then again, if it is a worked shoot for a return, it just makes everyone look bad, which is WWE's style, I suppose. And they've also just blown the storyline by admitting it's a work. But reading the interview the quote came from, she doesn't sound like she's that eager to return.

She's still under contract.

Also, this is just a redo of the "breaking kayfabe" nonsense she was doing during her last feud.

ads82

Has anyone been watching the classics matches that have been put up on NJPW World. I've been really enjoying them, some matches have been recorded with commentary by Kevin Kelly.

Ja'moke

up_the_hampipe

The Rock said he watches AEW. Bet he doesn't though.

Ja'moke

The mayor of Orange County in Florida and Florida's governor declared WWE an "essential" business. Florida gonna Florida.

Deanjam

WWE flying in Lawler for tonight's Raw. Fucking mental.

peanutbutter

Quote from: Deanjam on April 14, 2020, 12:14:02 AM
WWE flying in Lawler for tonight's Raw. Fucking mental.
Can guarantee Lawler is the kind of dude who doesn't believe any of this is real, could imagine him and Vince becoming a very dangerous feedback loop.

Add in Undertaker and a few others...  Jesus....

hummingofevil

Quote from: peanutbutter on April 14, 2020, 12:22:35 AM
Can guarantee Lawler is the kind of dude who doesn't believe any of this is real, could imagine him and Vince becoming a very dangerous feedback loop.

Add in Undertaker and a few others...  Jesus....

He'll be fine; he's got his lucky superman undies on that he wore when he survived his heart attack and found out about those charges getting dropped.

hummingofevil

I never really got the Edge thing as I missed his top years as a star in WWE but that documentary is really sweet. As someone who often prefers the background stories and history of wrestling to wrestling itself it is a great document for how some of the behind the scenes works. The final 5 mins is a really great bit of film that reminds us why was like this this nonsence in the first place. I approve.

Any more Network recommendations before I cancel my free month?

Ja'moke

The Drew doc is worth a watch.

Also, it should be noted, Florida have declared all sports and entertainment essential, so technically AEW could go back to do doing shows in Jacksonville if they wanted.

Oh, and in Raw news, Shayna is also doing the dumb Fuck Kayfabe schtick now.

gmoney

Quote from: sevendaughters on April 10, 2020, 03:10:46 PM
Jimmy Havoc is a proper embarrassment of a wrestler. Not even a good deathmatch worker. Nothing about him screams hardman at all. He's like Dani Filth.

God yeah, he's dreadful. I was perplexed when he got signed and that he continues to be used is baffling.

WWE won't be holding their annual investors meeting due to concerns about Coronavirus.

https://corporate.wwe.com/investors/news/press-releases/2020/04-09-2020-215949977

Meanwhile, the talent is still expected to show up for work.

Utter Shit

Quote from: hummingofevil on April 14, 2020, 02:21:06 AM
I never really got the Edge thing as I missed his top years as a star in WWE but that documentary is really sweet. As someone who often prefers the background stories and history of wrestling to wrestling itself it is a great document for how some of the behind the scenes works. The final 5 mins is a really great bit of film that reminds us why was like this this nonsence in the first place. I approve.

Any more Network recommendations before I cancel my free month?

What are your active years as a wrestling fan? I could definitely recommend some great stuff from the late 80s and early 90s. I'm sure I've made this point before, but Royal Rumble '92 is utterly incredible - Bobby Heenan on commentary during the Rumble is my single favourite wrestling performance of all time, including matches, interviews, storylines, whatever.

hummingofevil

88-93, then 2010-20. Pretty much. Been back and watched a lot of the classic Attitude era stuff but happy for recommendations.

Speaking of which ROH YouTube has been ace this last week. Tonight they showing Steen/Generico vs Young Bucks. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsCRfdQctTQ

Edit: I'm not sure if I've watch RR 92 since Bobby Heenan died so that is getting watched later. Actually what do people think are top 5 Rumbles. I used to love them as kid when I started watching again I think the first one I remember was Del Rio winning then they did fuck all with him. I was genuinely shocked that they managed to relegate it to being something to pass over as I remember it being so IMPORTANT at the time.

Deanjam

92 is the best easily. 2001, 2002 & 2010 are probably my favourites after that. 2005 is worth watching for the fuck up finish and Vince's injury, which is okay to laugh at as he's a cunt. 2015 is great for the crowd reaction post Bryan's elimination. And I have a soft spot for 2016, the last Rumble I truly enjoyed, despite the winner.

hummingofevil

Quote from: Deanjam on April 14, 2020, 11:24:04 PM
92 is the best easily. 2001, 2002 & 2010 are probably my favourites after that. 2005 is worth watching for the fuck up finish and Vince's injury, which is okay to laugh at as he's a cunt. 2015 is great for the crowd reaction post Bryan's elimination. And I have a soft spot for 2016, the last Rumble I truly enjoyed, despite the winner.

Not forgetting 2014. Rey getting shat on by a crowd for maybe the only time ever. God I loved that few months of Daniel Bryan.

Obel

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on April 12, 2020, 02:04:41 PM

She's directly referencing this classic Hogan tweet

https://twitter.com/HulkHogan/status/125437560418865152

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Obel on April 15, 2020, 02:52:33 PM
She's directly referencing this classic Hogan tweet

https://twitter.com/HulkHogan/status/125437560418865152

Well, yeah, clearly. The tweet where Hogan points out that wrestling is a work and butthurt fans are working themselves up thinking it's real. Only this time the butthurt ones were wrestlers, not fans. Still not clear whether this is a work for Rousey to come back or not, but seeing as WWE mentioned it on Raw, and the ham-fisted way they're going about it and making their own people look bad, I'm now leaning towards yes. WWE generally don't mention people on their shows unless they're making money off them, in fact, they usually go out of their way not to.

weekender

Someone has made a complete version of Over The Edge 1999 'available':

QuoteI understand this is a weird upload. Over the Edge '99, WWE network version with all the original footage added back in. This also includes the rare Spanish commentary, which had (what I believe to be) the sound of Owen's fall, spliced into the promo for the match. Very morbid thing to do, I know, but for historical reasons I felt it had to be done. This is not to capitalize on Owen's death in any way, but to document it exactly as it happened.

I'm tempted to grab it 'just because', although I don't think I could bring myself to actually watch it.

I remember watching it live as it was broadcast, which was a very weird feeling.  As noted above, the actual fall was never broadcast thank God, they were broadcasting a promo for the match at the time.  I remember in the early days of the internet seeing some fan photos which showed certain aspects of the fall, kind of wish I hadn't seen them.

Ja'moke

Vince just held a company wide call. Cuts to staff and talent incoming, furloughs for others.

What a shit situation, especially when you look at six months ago, when it was the best time to be a wrestler. Two big companies on national TV offering big contracts. Now everyone is losing money and tons of people going to be out of jobs.

I bet its the Stake in the XFL, apprently WWe owned a 22% stake in it, even though Vince sid they were entirly seprate enterties.

Ja'moke

First wave of talent cuts announced: https://twitter.com/WWE/status/1250477978657665024

"WWE has come to terms on the release of Drake Maverick (James Curtin), Curt Hawkins (Brian Myers), Karl Anderson (Chad Allegra), EC3 (Michael Hutter) and Lio Rush (Lionel Green)".

John Pollock reporting that Gallows is gone too.

EDIT: Gallows was listed on the website but not the tweet. https://www.wwe.com/article/wwe-talent-releases-drake-maverick-curt-hawkins-karl-anderson

Ja'moke