Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 02:45:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Wrestling In The Time Of COVID-19: the new thread

Started by sevendaughters, April 06, 2020, 09:29:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Utter Shit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pnlit0vqyPQ

I would pay good money to watch Kerry and Kurtan (or even Daisy and Charlie) review WWF-era PPVs.

Deanjam

Kayla Braxton has revealed she has Covid 19 for the second time.

Ja'moke

Quote from: Deanjam on June 25, 2020, 03:50:46 PM
Kayla Braxton has revealed she has Covid 19 for the second time.

Is that possible?

Deanjam

Apparently yes. Catching it doesn't make you immune but does seem to lessen the chances of getting it again. I'm no expert though.

Edit: It's one of the reasons why herd immunity is a shitty idea, since we don't really know how often it can be re-caught.

Ja'moke

Quote from: Deanjam on June 25, 2020, 04:44:51 PM
Apparently yes. Catching it doesn't make you immune but does seem to lessen the chances of getting it again. I'm no expert though.

Edit: It's one of the reasons why herd immunity is a shitty idea, since we don't really know how often it can be re-caught.

Gotcha. Just haven't heard many reports of people contracting it more than once.

Deanjam

So Chikara is no more. Also, I'll never not be amazed at these kind of statements. There's not even a denial

BeardFaceMan

Still not getting tired of Orange Cassidy's gimmick, they're using him perfectly. So much fun to watch.

Also, fuck WWE, the irresponsible, greedy cunts.

Ja'moke

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on June 25, 2020, 08:43:43 PM
Still not getting tired of Orange Cassidy's gimmick, they're using him perfectly. So much fun to watch.

He was great in that closing segment last night. I don't expect him to beat Jericho at Fyter Fest, but it's one of the matches I'm most looking forward to, along with Best Friends v Hangman & Omega, and Bucks & FTR vs Butcher & Blade + Lucha Bros (happy to see them back).

AEW's tag division is absolutely incredible.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Ja'moke on June 25, 2020, 08:59:23 PM
He was great in that closing segment last night. I don't expect him to beat Jericho at Fyter Fest, but it's one of the matches I'm most looking forward to, along with Best Friends v Hangman & Omega, and Bucks & FTR vs Butcher & Blade + Lucha Bros (happy to see them back).

AEW's tag division is absolutely incredible.

Jericho plays the whiny heel so well, you really do want to see him get beat. He can be popular and entertaining but still keep you booing him, he's so good. It honestly wouldnt suprise me to see him give Cassidy the rub either.

It also wouldnt suprise me if AEW did a tag team only PPV soon, they certainly have the talent for it.

Deanjam

Ja'moke

And NXT is doing a two-week Great American Bash special starting next week. But remember, according to Triple H, NXT doesn't counter program.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Ja'moke on June 25, 2020, 11:26:35 PM
And NXT is doing a two-week Great American Bash special starting next week. But remember, according to Triple H, NXT doesn't counter program.

And I'm sure the name of the PPV is a coincidence as well. Christ, they're so fucking petty.

Ja'moke

Impact has fired Tessa Blanchard and stripped her of the world title. Not because of the racism stuff from a few months ago but because she refused to send taped promos in while stuck in Mexico.

Timothy

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on June 26, 2020, 01:51:30 AM
And I'm sure the name of the PPV is a coincidence as well. Christ, they're so fucking petty.

Both AEW and WWE are doing this. They're competition. If it means both shows will continue to be good I don't mind. 

Why on earth did Ziggler get a title shot against Drew by the way? Makes no sense.

Deanjam

Quote from: Timothy on June 26, 2020, 08:11:14 AM
Why on earth did Ziggler get a title shot against Drew by the way? Makes no sense.

I noticed someone pointed out on Twitter that WWE's booking is to announce a match and then try to build a story for it afterwards. It really is backward.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Timothy on June 26, 2020, 08:11:14 AM
Both AEW and WWE are doing this. They're competition. If it means both shows will continue to be good I don't mind. 

AEW are running counterprogramming to WWE programs and using PPV names associated with WWE? I must have missed that. Of course AEW are competition, the point is that WWE repeatedly say they're not worried about AEW and they're not competition and that they don't do counterprogramming, and then they not only counterprogram AEW's 2 night event, they do it using a name that means a hell of a lot to Cody (a name WWE haven't used for a decade), which is the unbelievably petty part.

"Both shows continue to be good"? You're really saying that you've been enjoying the petri dishes, sorry, shows, that WWE have been putting on lately?

Timothy

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on June 26, 2020, 08:55:46 AM
AEW are running counterprogramming to WWE programs and using PPV names associated with WWE? I must have missed that. Of course AEW are competition, the point is that WWE repeatedly say they're not worried about AEW and they're not competition and that they don't do counterprogramming, and then they not only counterprogram AEW's 2 night event, they do it using a name that means a hell of a lot to Cody (a name WWE haven't used for a decade), which is the unbelievably petty part.

"Both shows continue to be good"? You're really saying that you've been enjoying the petri dishes, sorry, shows, that WWE have been putting on lately?

Yes the NXT shows have been quite good. Especially the In Your House PPV. Was ace. Same goes for some of the other matches at PPV's. Orton VS Edge was great.

I thought AEW did that with Bash at the Beach but you are right, that was a WCW PPV.

And of course WWE say that they're not worried about AEW and then counterprogram them. Don't want to make it seem that they're worried. But they are. They absolutely are. (and rightfully so)

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Timothy on June 26, 2020, 08:59:16 AM
Yes the NXT shows have been quite good. Especially the In Your House PPV. Was ace. Same goes for some of the other matches at PPV's. Orton VS Edge was great.

Hehe sorry man, I find it hard to take your opinion seriously when it changes so often.

Quote from: Timothy on May 04, 2020, 06:35:15 PM
weekly wrestling without a crowd just has no appeal to me anymore. Its just dull without a crowd imo.

WWE was dull months before the empty arena shows.

So now you think they've been good, I give it a month before you're back to saying they're dull.

Ja'moke

NXT has been back on form recently, especially those Undisputed Era skits... very Always Sunny.

But yeah, in terms of counterprogramming, NXT is way more reactive to what AEW is doing than the other way around. NXT has hot-shotted title matches and brought in main roster to counter what Dynamite has had planned. Whereas AEW just seems to focus on whatever stories they were doing anyway.

AEW take more potshots, though.

Timothy

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on June 26, 2020, 10:47:23 AM
Hehe sorry man, I find it hard to take your opinion seriously when it changes so often.

So now you think they've been good, I give it a month before you're back to saying they're dull.

When I posted that, on May 4th (almost two months ago), there were no crowds. There was no audience sound. Found it quite dull.
Now that they put other wrestlers and people in the crowd (like AEW did before them) and there's some audience noise it's less difficult to engage for me.

The NXT shows have been great lately. As good and sometimes better then the Dynamites. Try to watch them. You might be impressed.

And as a wrestling fan you should know that nothing in wrestling is constant. A show can be great and then suddenly become unwatchable a few weeks later.

amateur

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on June 25, 2020, 09:46:34 PM
Jericho plays the whiny heel so well, you really do want to see him get beat. He can be popular and entertaining but still keep you booing him, he's so good. It honestly wouldnt suprise me to see him give Cassidy the rub either.

It also wouldnt suprise me if AEW did a tag team only PPV soon, they certainly have the talent for it.

Jericho's selling for faces has been so great recently - the unbelievable shock when Vanguard 1 flew into the arena, and this week looking like a broken pancake with TV on top of him. Just glorious.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Timothy on June 26, 2020, 01:28:14 PM
When I posted that, on May 4th (almost two months ago), there were no crowds. There was no audience sound. Found it quite dull.
Now that they put other wrestlers and people in the crowd (like AEW did before them) and there's some audience noise it's less difficult to engage for me.

The NXT shows have been great lately. As good and sometimes better then the Dynamites.

You're missing out the bit where you said WWE was dull for months before the empty arena shows.

Try to watch them. You might be impressed.

They might be the best wrestling TV programs ever conceived and created that would impress the tits off me and I won't watch them. They're a dogshit company ran by dogshit people and I can get my entertainment elsewhere without supporting these cunts.

And as a wrestling fan you should know that nothing in wrestling WWE is constant (because of Vince). A show can be great and then suddenly become unwatchable a few weeks later.

FTFY.

Timothy

Edit: Nevermind. :)

Timothy

Quote from: amateur on June 26, 2020, 01:56:32 PM
Jericho's selling for faces has been so great recently - the unbelievable shock when Vanguard 1 flew into the arena, and this week looking like a broken pancake with TV on top of him. Just glorious.

Jericho is truly the best at what he does. I really hope is gonna write a book about his time in AEW. His other books were great. Love to read the stories about the start of the company.

Moribunderast

Reports of 30+ WWE wrestlers and staff testing positive for COVID. They're continuing to tape shows though. Also are apparently telling wrestlers not to go public and are going to re-test many because the WWE were "unhappy" with the results.

So that means they've endangered people by running shows, told people not to wear masks, not disclosed to talent when others have tested positive, let ignorant talent who may have been in contact with COVID continue to travel to airports, restaurants, etc. They waited until there was an outbreak to bother testing and are now displeased because the tests indicate an outbreak...

The company is a legit public health risk.

Surprised they didn't record outdoors, put up a giant gazebo over the ring. Lessen the risk. Too late now.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Moribunderast on June 27, 2020, 02:40:00 AM
Reports of 30+ WWE wrestlers and staff testing positive for COVID. They're continuing to tape shows though. Also are apparently telling wrestlers not to go public and are going to re-test many because the WWE were "unhappy" with the results.

So that means they've endangered people by running shows, told people not to wear masks, not disclosed to talent when others have tested positive, let ignorant talent who may have been in contact with COVID continue to travel to airports, restaurants, etc. They waited until there was an outbreak to bother testing and are now displeased because the tests indicate an outbreak...

The company is a legit public health risk.

That's all ok though, because they put on a few good matches now and again. All sins forgiven!

Timothy

QuoteMoxley was told by AEW's doctor to isolate himself and if he doesn't test positive or show symptoms he should be okay for 7/2, when he has his scheduled Fyter Fest title match with Brian Cage. But it's not that simple. He made the call not to leave and go to a hotel, both for not wanting to leave his wife alone in case she gets worse, and also the fear of if he has it, infecting people at a hotel. They are isolating themselves in different parts of the house and he will be taking multiple tests this week and everything else will play itself out. As far as a worst case scenario, if he ends up testing positive, obviously his match would have to be delayed until a full recovery. If not, while 7/2 is the taping date, they could potentially do an empty arena match as late as 7/8 and it would be on the show scheduled.

Good decision by Mox. Responsible. AEW should just pull this match off the card and leave it for a later date. Not worth the risk.

sevendaughters